Living in Donabate/Portrane

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
breidy

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking to buy our first house and will be viewing houses in Donabate (Cois Inbhir) and Portrane over the next two weeks if all goes to plan. There seems to be a number of worrying discussions regarding Cois Inbhir and was just wondering if anyone could give me some honest feedback about living in the area and in Donabate in general.

Also really interested in any info on what it like to live in Portane also. We are both originally from the south west and are looking for a quiet lifestyle where we can start a family and join a nice community. We currently live in south Dublin in an amazing area that we can never afford to buy in. Ideally we are looking for somewhere safe and nice with normal people.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.
diggerbarnes

Well you've come to the right place. We are the jewel in North county Dublin's coastal belt. A hidden gem. A peninsular pocket of peace and prosperity. We're spoilt out here and people sometimes forget that and focus on the negative. Great schools, parks, sports facilities, beaches, golf courses, healthy volunteer-ism, site for the proposed new central mental hospital, the list goes on and on.
What is so amazing about where you are now?
breidy

Thanks for the reply, the best part of where we are now is the zero crime rate (well none that I have ever experienced) and there is no unruly behavior from groups of teenagers or trouble makers.
What are your thoughts on other posts regarding boy racers, troublesome kids and teens etc...?
Also what are the general thoughts around the new hospital? Will it drive value up or down for the surrounding area?
micropoodle

In my opinion the reason why you see people on this forum particularly focused on crime is because we dotnt see a lot of it out here. It's pretty unusual and so when we do see or hear of it we tend to go on about it a lot because it's relatively unusual and we want to nip it in the bud ASAP.

Of course there is crime but if I'm honest I'd say in the grand scheme of things it's a good bit less than anywhere else I know of.

To be honest I wouldn't live anywhere else. Cois Inbhir is a great estate with a very active residents association who put on several events throughout the year. I don't live there but have family that do and I spend a lot of time there. It's a 5 to 10 minute walk from there to all schools and is a quiet estate. There are loads of kids there but that's to do with the age profile of the residents but I find them to be a lovely bunch of kids. If I were buying again Cois Inbhir would be my first choice

When viewing houses there call into the neighbours and ask them about the estate. Yes seriously do that. I know lots of people there and all are friendly.

As for Donabate itself, well when you're looking at houses go down to the beach, Donabate beach, portrane beach and tower bay. Go to Newbridge park. Ask someone about the cliff walk etc.

I feel that once certain planning issues are resolved, the hospital will be a good thing for the area. Long term in my opinion it will increase the demand for houses and push prices up. Main issue I see is that public transport options to it for visitors and workers alike are currently very poor. And roads are currently not fit for the volume of construction traffic we are likely to see.

Primary schools are all good. Jury is still out on the secondary school because we only have 1 year of leaving cert results to go on and will need to see a few more.

Community spirit in my opinion is second to none. I've never experienced anything like it anywhere I've lived before. It really is village like.

I could go on and on. Overall great place to live. I certainly wouldn't move anywhere south side if I had an unlimited pool of money
Banana

hi, i agree with everything micro poodle says.... over the years i 've lived city centre, northside, southside and moved to donabate 4 yrs ago and we love it here - its a great place for families , I work in the city and can come home in 30 mins and still have time to go for a walk on the beach with the kids. we do this pretty much every day in summer
Mr. Stupid

This is the best place in the world.
Sydney

Fantastic place to live (and I'm down Cois Inbhir way).
Wouldn't be anywhere else.
BRUCE

Great place to live, I live in an estate close to Cois Inbhir.

This forum, and it’s predecessor is actually fairly uncommon. I have friends who have had burglaries (mainly bikes from sheds), in places like Malahide, Greystones, Blackrock, Howth. The thing is, people don’t hear about them. When something like this happens in Donabate, it invariably gets mentioned on here.

I think its great, as it keeps people aware of the problem.

My favorite things about Donabate are, Newbridge House & the grounds… playground is great!! The beaches, easy commute to town, & finally, the value. Look at similar houses in Malahide for example, they are a ridiculous price.

Good luck wherever you decide to buy.
padraig

breidy wrote:Hi all,

My wife and I are looking to buy our first house and will be viewing houses in Donabate (Cois Inbhir) and Portrane over the next two weeks if all goes to plan. There seems to be a number of worrying discussions regarding Cois Inbhir and was just wondering if anyone could give me some honest feedback about living in the area and in Donabate in general.

Also really interested in any info on what it like to live in Portane also. We are both originally from the south west and are looking for a quiet lifestyle where we can start a family and join a nice community. We currently live in south Dublin in an amazing area that we can never afford to buy in. Ideally we are looking for somewhere safe and nice with normal people.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Hi Breidy,

I am glad you could see on the face of it that there are issues to be addressed in the area and I'm not going to pave over the cracks. I fully understand your predicament, but would suggest you hold back on buying, rent in the area for a few months and see how you feel about buying in the Donabate/Portrane area(this is maybe not want to hear).
My wife and I did exactly what you are enbarking on doing, moving from the leafy well established south side of Dublin quite a few years back because we felt we will never be able to buy in the area because of property values. In hind sight renting would have exposed all the shortcomings and compromises one would have to live with.
diggerbarnes

Do you regret moving here Padraig?
Staix001

Hi,

Myself & my husband & kids have been living in Cois Inbhir for a number of years, and quite simply, we love it!
Cois Inbhir really is a lovely estate with a great community feel. We've great neighbours and there's a lovely feel to the place. People are genuinely friendly.
I don't think there's any estate in the country that won't have a few undesirable aspects, but hopefully they can be dealt with as appropriate by the relevant authorities.

Donabate has a lot going for it. Newbridge is wonderful, as are the local beaches. Good local schools. Basically you've got everything you need within walking distance, and the bigger town of Swords is only 10mins away.

I'd echo what a previous poster has said - if you're thinking of buying - chat to the neighbours. I'm sure they'd be open to it. It's in their interest too to have nice new neighbours!

Best of Luck with your house hunting!
Ken
Site Admin

I really wouldn't consider Donabate to have a worse or better crime record than any other area. Even Malahide has it's issues and their drug problems have been well documented.

I think we have a lot more positives going for us in Donabate/Portrane that most other areas. For example, we have the highest number of betting shops and hair salons per head of population in the western world.
Regards,

Ken.
Jabba

I fully agree with what has been posted previously. I have lived in Donabate for 16 years and have no regrets moving here. We have stared a family and our kids are settled in the local schools and clubs !

If i was ever to move house I look to relocate within Donabate.

Its not perfect as has been outlined previously but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

if we go out for a night and leave the village, the 8.30 train to Malahide and the 11.55 ish train home is perfect (or a taxi is only €20) Lots of nice pubs and restaurants there, but when you visit there it makes you appreciate the tranquil nature of our village as its jammers !
padraig

diggerbarnes wrote:Do you regret moving here Padraig?
Regret is a bit of a strong word. One have to look at the lifestyle compromises you have to make, regular dart services 10 min from your doorstep, bus lanes/cycle lanes into town, beeches and prominade walks on your doorstep, lifestyle choices ect ect. One will only know whether you are willing to make all the compromises once you have experienced it.
The relative tranquility of Donabate/Portrane might not be a reference for the future in the light of the new National Forensic Hospital planned in Portrane with a 3 year construction period and people being send here from right accross the country once it is completed.
GOS

I love Donabate, we lived there for 7 years until we moved abroad and are now moving back. Beaches and Newbridge on your doorstep, a relatively easy commmute to the city centre. Its great for kids and still has the village feel to it.
Mr. Stupid

Welcome back GOS.

One area I'd consider if I was buying would be Portmarnock. The birds there were easy to score back in the day.
Quello Serio

I never liked Portmarnock. Doesn't seem like a proper place, more like a place in between two real places. Donabate is a place, I like Donabate. I'd like it better if they'd build that cycle path over the Estuary.
Mr. Stupid

Quello Serio wrote:I never liked Portmarnock. Doesn't seem like a proper place, more like a place in between two real places. Donabate is a place, I like Donabate. I'd like it better if they'd build that cycle path over the Estuary.
What about Sutton? Do you like Sutton?
Quello Serio

I'm a bit on the fence about that. Its not really a proper place either, is it? Why would you go to Sutton if you didn't live there?
Mr. Stupid

You could just be visiting a friend. What do you think of Coolock? Some good value gafs there.
Random Citizen

Well maybe this 'friend' could get off her lazy butt once in a while and venture north, instead of always dragging us down, and expecting us to buy the biscuits.

But this is going off-topic, when we're supposed to be persuading OP and Mrs. OP to move to Donabate. No-one has mentioned Kilcrea equestrian centre yet, or the great new Library. Or Scrumdiddlys. Mmmmh...Scrumdiddlys.

I think BRUCE's point is good: you're hearing about bad things because this forum exists, so its out in the open. Problems exist everywhere, just are often hidden.