Buying in the Burrow

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Donabatewannabe

We're thinking of buying in The Burrow, Portrane. Should we ? Any residents views particularly welcome! Thank you ; )
padraig

Donabatewannabe wrote:We're thinking of buying in The Burrow, Portrane. Should we ? Any residents views particularly welcome! Thank you ; )
I'd hold back if I were you, there is a planning decision pending on the 7th of April 2015 for a massive (more than double the existing facility) extension to the existing St. Itas Campus, this will include a High/Medium security phycihatric units.
If you are buying in at the higher end of the market, I'm almost sure this will effect your property price!!
Mother of 2

On the other hand, you're probably already aware that this huge expansion of the hospital will raise the demand for *all* property types in the area. This has happened in other remote areas around the country, where commercial/services expansion effected property price increases. Dr Google will quickly support this view.
We're living here in Portrane for 15 years, and can assure you that if it's something quiet you're looking for then this is the place. We've no shopping centre. Now there's a plus!
Donabatewannabe

Thanks for the responses folks. I love the area but Fingal
County Council don't seem to know what to do with the area - whether to commit to a residential zone or some big local government campus?
diggerbarnes

You're fretting too much. It's a great area and competitively priced due to being on a peninsula. A fact that is perceived by outsiders as a negative but is in actual fact a great bonus. Jump in, the water's fine.
Mr. Stupid

The development plan is for 4,000 houses aka units. It was 5,000. It could bad as what happened in many other parts of Fingal (Swords, Malawhite etc) where you have sprawling development.

If you want to be sure of what you are getting, pay 600K+ and move to an old middle class area where everything is already built up so there's no uncertainty about what will happen.

For that to happen, you both need to earn 100K a year or else you need your parents to donate 300K to your account.
padraig

Mr. Stupid wrote:The development plan is for 4,000 houses aka units. It was 5,000. It could bad as what happened in many other parts of Fingal (Swords, Malawhite etc) where you have sprawling development.

If you want to be sure of what you are getting, pay 600K+ and move to an old middle class area where everything is already built up so there's no uncertainty about what will happen.

For that to happen, you both need to earn 100K a year or else you need your parents to donate 300K to your account.
Is this the same scheme that was proposed in 2006, just wondering how they got to the 10% social housing inclusion when developers nationwide at that stage had to make a 7% social housing contribution under Section 25 of the planning act.

http://m.independent.ie/regionals/finga ... 66093.html
Mr. Stupid

The development plans are revised every few years. What happened - I think - was in 2006 in the spirit of madness they planned for massive expansion which never happened. At one stage there was about another 1,000 apartment going in very close to the train station. Since the crash there isn't an appetite for that now.
There isn't even appetite to get the Dart out here which was supposed to be done by 2015.
http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fin ... 06575.html

My concern would be the track record of town planning in nearly everywhere in Ireland couldn't be any worse. So Donabate in 40 years time will probably be a sprawl just like Swords, Malawhite etc...
Lo-cal

A news article from November 2014 on extending the Dart. Looks like this story is going to run and run ...

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fin ... 50221.html
Mr. Stupid

Lo-cal wrote:A news article from November 2014 on extending the Dart. Looks like this story is going to run and run ...

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fin ... 50221.html
It it happens expect the houses prices to shoot up. The Gallery apartments will be finished over night and will sell for 250 each minimum.