Gardai in Donabate

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
DavidS

Two young men been searched by Garda outside the credit union.
Could there be an increased policing presence.
diggerbarnes

Increased from what? Zero?
hmmm
DavidS

Yes, is that not what we want?
Donabate Hatter

I thought so!! We have noticed an increased presence in the last week or so, both cars and an officer walking in the High Street. Seems there's just no pleasing some people!!
diggerbarnes

I'd be delighted to see a regular presence. Point was anything would be an improvement.
micropoodle

I have never once seen a Garda walk down the main st. 'On the beat' so to speak.

I won't jump up and down for joy until this becomes a daily 'service', which obviously it won't. My cynicism says this is being done just to appease a TD or local politician and will all revert back to normal very quickly
Spider

I feel more and more vulnerable living out here with only sporadic Garda presence. It would be great to see a more obvious presence on a more regular basis. I do reckon, like the previous poster that this is a PR exercise set up by some local councillor or something. On a side note, what do you do when your house is being continuously egged by teenagers whose parents would knock you out for complaining about their precious darlings?
DavidS

I agree but it's a presence all the same.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

micropoodle wrote:I have never once seen a Garda walk down the main st. 'On the beat' so to speak.
I have seen them cruise around plenty of times though.
micropoodle

Token gestures such as driving around once in a very very blue moon is no substitute for an on the ground Garda presence
pat mustard

Two Gardai on foot patrol around 5 pm today in village.

Good to see.

Hopefully they do it again later on this evening/tomorrow night.
diggerbarnes

So is it just Fridays?
gemma

Why is this thread entitled Undercover Garda/Special Branch?
diggerbarnes wrote:Increased from what? Zero?
hmmm
You are unaware of the crime stats, Gardai are in the village 3-4 times every day... taking reports of crime, making enquiries and responding to calls. I see them all the time. Plenty of unmarked cars too.
micropoodle

gemma wrote:Why is this thread entitled Undercover Garda/Special Branch?
diggerbarnes wrote:Increased from what? Zero?
hmmm
You are unaware of the crime stats, Gardai are in the village 3-4 times every day... taking reports of crime, making enquiries and responding to calls. I see them all the time. Plenty of unmarked cars too.
Gemma, that's what's called firefighting. Responding to crimes is the basics of what they should be doing.

Stopping crimes from occurring in the first place is also a major part of their role but this is not happening to the extent it should be happening. Donabate is an easy target because criminals know that 99.9% of the time there isn't a single Garda on the peninsula.
jayflame

Helicopter over Donabate at moment, search light on.
Back and forth.

Hope they find what they're looking for soon.
Austy

I hope so because I can't sleep. They seem to have been looking in the Beverton or Beaverstown road area but it's just after flying north to Shelbyvile... sorry... Lusk !!!
jayflame

I wonder if that helicopter has infra red cameras on it?
With it being so cold tonight, I'd guess it would pick up the body heat of a mouse.

Though I'd hazard a guess they're looking for rats, and not the types with tails.
Fido

Gardai were searching the hedges and gardens in The Gallery and Turvey Estate with torches and helicopter lights for ages. Think the search went on from 12.30 till 2! I hope they found who they were looking for. I heard shouting around 2am, hopefully they caught someone.
blowin1

yep they were here in Turvey for an hour and a half - we had armed police in our house to gain access to the back gardens. I believe they got 2 lads in the apt's fronting Turvey Green houses
alkaline

They earned their pay last night. Might make people who incessently mouth off about the Guards being Irish Waters security think again, I hope this event lays down a marker with/for Donabate also although we need full and effective sentencing for this to be a successful capture.
micropoodle

fair play to the guards for a job excellently done.

my issue has never been with the guards but with the people (ie: ministers) who have decimated the force in recent years.

the next step now that that successful Garda operation is complete (which I'm sure cost thousands), is for the judge to grant them bail until such time as their trial comes up in about 18 months where there is a strong chance (based on judicical history and my cynical opinion) that they will be let off with a slap on the wrists.

this only further increases my opinion that we are a soft touch for criminals!
Derek

micropoodle wrote:fair play to the guards for a job excellently done.

my issue has never been with the guards but with the people (ie: ministers) who have decimated the force in recent years.

the next step now that that successful Garda operation is complete (which I'm sure cost thousands), is for the judge to grant them bail until such time as their trial comes up in about 18 months where there is a strong chance (based on judicical history and my cynical opinion) that they will be let off with a slap on the wrists.

this only further increases my opinion that we are a soft touch for criminals!
This is probably the biggest issue of all: weak sentencing as a result of insufficient places of detention
padraig

alkaline wrote:They earned their pay last night. Might make people who incessently mouth off about the Guards being Irish Waters security think again, I hope this event lays down a marker with/for Donabate also although we need full and effective sentencing for this to be a successful capture.
The Gaurds might have earned their keep last night, but why is it nobody can tell us definitively why we've had a serious increase of these type of events in the past 18 months?
I surpose the state (and the local representatives who supported it) will be anxious to get the Donabate / Portrane crime situation under control, because in just under a month An Bord Plaenala will give us some indication if we are getting our high security Central Mental Hospital (with compliments from James Reilly), and I am sure that comes with it's own associated risks, if you look at the impact of these type of facilities have had on their locality in the UK (Broadmoor, Ashworth, Carstairs in Scotland and Rampton Hospital).
diggerbarnes

Why talk about the UK and not Dundrum? What effect was there on Dundrum all these years?