Crime In Donabate

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Mr. Stupid

Jed wrote:Sophia's CEO is Declan Dunne who you can contact on 086-8563826 or ddunne@sophia.ie or fax 01-4538212. I have found him to be very efficient when dealing with complaints/incidents regarding the units. I urge people to complain and put pressure on him if you ever want it to change.
What are we supposed to say to this man:
"I heard a nine year had a knife put to his throat and it was by someone out visiting someone in Sophia housing? Could you remind visitors to not do this?"
He actually relies upon reports from locals as there is nobody on duty from 5:30pm to 9am Monday to Friday, unlike Cork St. which has numerous local Garda stations and 24hr onsite caretaker. There is also a Facebook page that promotes all the good work they do but not 1 single reference to the Donabate units..............
That is insane. There is no way a set up like that should not have a 24 hr onsite caretaker with a hotline to the cops.

If the rumours are true and the crime is related to Sophia housing I would support community action before the next kid gets threatened, person gets mugged whatever. We are supposed to be a quiet suburb, out in the sticks,a bit cut off with longer commutes in return for a quieter, simpler family friendly life for our kids.

Check this review out from a former employee of Sophia housing...
See: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Sophia ... 732722.htm
I worked at Sophia Housing Association part-time (more than 3 years)
Pros: Hours worked were very flexible
Cons:In house residents are sometimes difficult to handle
Advice to Management: More security
Jed

Mr Stupid wrote: What are we supposed to say to this man:
"I heard a nine year had a knife put to his throat and it was by someone out visiting someone in Sophia housing? Could you remind visitors to not do this?"
Tell him what you see and hear about the place giving specific times and dates instead of being a smart arse hiding behind a pc posting on here. For example, residents jumping the barriers at the train station, staggering around the parish, fighting on the Portrane road, bringing their dogs into public areas to shit all over the place. Its pretty easy if you put your mind to it. I've been doing it for years now.

Mr Stupid wrote:That is insane. There is no way a set up like that should not have a 24 hr onsite caretaker with a hotline to the cops.
Again pick up the phone and tell THEM that you're not happy with the security arrangements, (make sure it's between 9 and 5:30 though).

Good luck in trying to persuade them to employ a caretaker unless you want to pay his wages or move in
yourself.

P.S let us know how you get on.
Mr. Stupid

Ok I get your general point in not to be a keyboard warrior. However, it is not easy to make a complaint unless you have all the facts. Right now, we have plenty of rumours about Sophia housing
Jed

Mr. Stupid wrote:Ok I get your general point in not to be a keyboard warrior. However, it is not easy to make a complaint unless you have all the facts. Right now, we have plenty of rumours about Sophia housing
You can always pick up the phone or drop him an e-mail asking what are the criteria for being housed in there?
Who monitors their behaviour? How long they stay there for? Why are they housing convicted criminals (see sophia.ie under what we do) in an area with no Garda station when they have units all over the country that have Garda stations and 24hr caretakers? What are the rules,if any, for tenants? What happens if they break them? Who monitors the "visitors" and what happens to the tenants when their "visitors" misbehave? What do the tenants have to do while they are in there i.e.; painting, cleaning,gardening etc instead of walking around in their pyjamas all day long?

Just an example of what ANYBODY can ask at any time. Its your area too.
Reinventingsecurity

Hi all

I don't know if you are aware, but we recently started the roll out of community CCTV in Donabate village. The system developed by us at usee.ie records securely over the internet to secure servers in High Definition. In conjunction with this roll out in Donabate we launched a new website called http://www.selfwatch.ie , This website will allow its members a secure environment to share crime intelligence and to view incidents of crime that may be recorded by the CCTV system. We have already had a great response to the site, with numerous people registering for full membership from Donabate / Portane . Check it out

http://www.selfwatch.ie

regards

Usee.ie
Deweypud

Arrived home last night to Beverton Court and seen a young couple sitting in a red Toyota Starlet with the lights off. Once they seen me they drove off soon after. Have never seen the car about so may be something sinister. Keep an eye out people!
Jed

At approx 3pm a Woman in her 50s was lying on the ground between the floor shop and the turn for beaverstown, out of her head. Being assisted by couple of her friends, one being a very thin dying looking blonde girl from the area. They picked her up and linked her in the direction of the train station.
Derek

Jed wrote:At approx 3pm a Woman in her 50s was lying on the ground between the floor shop and the turn for beaverstown, out of her head. Being assisted by couple of her friends, one being a very thin dying looking blonde girl from the area. They picked her up and linked her in the direction of the train station.
Class!!!!!! :D
Essexboy

Walked passed these 3 crossing the road out of Sophia.... They were assisting her then!!
New year celebrations went on long than anticipated!!!!
Vlad the Impaler

I'm not sure I see a clear solution to this problem.

If it's characters visiting the residents then what can the Sophia management do once they walk out the gate?

I'm sure the facility was set up with good intentions, but we all know what the road to hell is paved with.
derossa

Ah come on!
surely its a crime to be intoxicated in a public place - call the guards - report the crime etc. etc.
close your eyes and put the pedal to the metal?
maybe maybe not1
surely its time to ask why we enpower these people the ability to cause these scenes and the effect this kind of behaviour has on us and our children.
did i mention pedal to the metal.........................................
micropoodle

derossa wrote:Ah come on!
surely its a crime to be intoxicated in a public place - call the guards - report the crime etc. etc.
close your eyes and put the pedal to the metal?
maybe maybe not1
surely its time to ask why we enpower these people the ability to cause these scenes and the effect this kind of behaviour has on us and our children.
did i mention pedal to the metal.........................................
of course it's a crime and of course it should be reported, if only to ensure that the crime figures arent being massaged in favour of the government, but sure if it takes over an hour for a Garda car to reach Donabate after a 999 call, who knows how long it would take when reporting drunk in a public place.

We may as well be in rural Ireland here in terms of Garda presence. Though in saying that I spend a good bit of time in different partts of rural Ireland and see much more of a Garda presence
jayflame

Shocked to see the Gardaí outside the taxi office in Donabate the morning.
Had the driveway cordoned off like a crime scene where the drivers wait.

Hope no one was hurt

I didn't hear a thing and I'm quite close
Lavidolas

Likewise. Not sure what happened. On a lighter note, the Gaurd in the passenger seat was asleep up against the glass which gave me a great laugh on the way to work!
diggerbarnes

The ground was well washed down when they left. Suggests blood. Or worse, vomit!!!!!
Essexboy

actually heard worse on this one, heard that a lad was knocked out unconscious and not in a great condition. awaiting forensics this morning.
Austy

Just received this:

There was a lad out jogging at 10 pm last night. As he was passing the shops a guy who was heavily drunk attacked him. The jogger punched the drunk guy in self defence. The drunk guy fell to the ground and was injured in the process.
The Garda are dealing with it on the normal way.

Sure hope the jogger doesn't end up in any trouble for something like this.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Lavidolas wrote:Likewise. Not sure what happened. On a lighter note, the Gaurd in the passenger seat was asleep up against the glass which gave me a great laugh on the way to work!
I got the last train home last night and they were there then too. Likely it was the same guard watching the scene.
Aido82

Looks like an attempted break in occurred last night in somerton. The wats app group have a video of the cctv of two lads in a back garden. Luckily they were disturbed and did a legger but apparently the guards showed up and did little or nothin.
pat mustard

Can you advise how to get the WhatsApp group for Somerton, thanks.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

pat mustard wrote:Can you advise how to get the WhatsApp group for Somerton, thanks.
You need a facebook account (so they wouldn't let me join) and then you message the owner of the facebook group;
https://www.facebook.com/DonabateVillage

and they'll assert their power and let you join :)
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Aido82 wrote:Looks like an attempted break in occurred last night in somerton. The wats app group have a video of the cctv of two lads in a back garden. Luckily they were disturbed and did a legger but apparently the guards showed up and did little or nothin.
Minor details but it was Carrs Mill and the image is from the front garden. Personally I'd be happier it being the front and not the back as no gates / walls were jumped over!
Aido82

Hey bill. There is a video of the lads and its both the front and back garden where a dog chases them away
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Aido82 wrote:Hey bill. There is a video of the lads and its both the front and back garden where a dog chases them away
:( Can you download and share it here?

My car was stolen from outside my house a few years ago now, it's an awful feeling that these mofos are snooping around at that time of the morning. What's even worse in this instance is that house has both flood lights and CCTV outside it.
micropoodle

it's horrible to think that these scum are prowling about during the night to rob someone else.

i have a number of lets say 'devices', including a baseball bat or two at hand if they ever attempt to target me. The dog may have something to say to them as well!
As far as I'm concerned, if they are coming into my house with my children in it, it's fair game what I do to them. And because of my children and the potential harm that could come to them, I wont hesitate in doing what I feel is necessary