Assault on teacher in Donabate Community College

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Josie

Does anyone know anything about a teacher getting hit in the autistic unit in the school?
estuarine

I have to say this post makes me feel pretty awkward. If we were talking about a mainstream setting, this would be cause for great alarm but I would have thought it would be clear to all but the most uninformed and irresponsible that autistic children are a case apart.

Naturally my sympathies would go to the teacher concerned but we're talking about children here who cannot reason like the rest of us. I'm sure if there is any truth to it the child's parents will be feeling terrible too - and none the better for seeing it mentioned here.
Josie

But the school has a duty of care to its staff and the other pupils in the unit. This dismissive attitude is not good enough. Are you saying that if a teacher works with autistic students that it doesn't matter if he/she gets assaulted. Or that if students in a school get hit by a student who has autism that it doesn't count-just because the student has autism. I guess if I follow your line of thinking then it doesn't matter about the mother down in Kerry who was killed by her autistic son a few years ago. She should have known that it would happen because he was autistic. And what about all those serial killers - sure it's not their fault because they have mental health issues and isn't that a disability. Disgusting attitude!
http://www.thejournal.ie/special-needs- ... 4-Apr2013/
Josie

By the way there are numerous students in mainstream in every school who have autism. The autistic unit is part of the mainstream school and most of the students there also attend lessons in mainstream. So if they hit a teacher or another student in mainstream are you going to wave the disability / autism card? Cop on! Sorry you feel awkward but perhaps it would be more appropriate to feel concerned for the staff and other students! Ignorance is no excuse for dismissing the rights of staff to work in a safe environment and for students to learn in a safe place.
Scarlett

I dont think this incident, if it did occur, is anyone's business except for the teacher and child's parents.
Josie

It is the business of every member of staff, every student and every parent of every student in the school because if no action is taken the health and safety of everyone in the school is at risk.
Ken
Site Admin

Locking this as it's not going to be resolved here.

Josie - I suggest if you have an issue that you take it up directly with the School
Regards,

Ken.