Donabate Community College ranking in Co.Dublin

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Bongo68

Just reading the supplement on Feeder Schools in the Irish Independent of today and found that Donabate Community College had 37% of students who sat the Leaving Cert.in 2014 went on to third level education.Came second last in the rankings.Any thoughts?
micropoodle

I really really hope that's a misprint.
estuarine

Obviously, if that's accurate, it's not good particularly for a solid middle class area. However, I think a couple of things need to be said.

I still see quite a few Donabate kids travelling to and from school elsewhere. This was the first year group though the local school and it's likely that quite a few of the highest achievers locally weren't among them. Over time, as the school continues to bed in, it will hopefully attract close to all the pupils from its catchment area.

It's important to note what those figures don't include. Any students who went to the UK (including Northern Ireland) aren't included. They don't include those in further education, which would include art portfolio courses. Now don't get me wrong, I accept that when you compare like with like and take account of the demographics of the area, you would expect better. But I genuinely wouldn't judge a new school on its first group through.

Also, these figures don't account for good and bad year groups in schools. Anyone will look back on their time in school and be able to point out the year groups who worked their socks off and those who had the teachers tearing their hair out. Maybe they just weren't the most academic of cohorts.
micropoodle

i suppose we really have to wait and see whether this is a misprint or what the school have to say.

it seems too far off other schools to be accurate (malahide 85%, skerries 75% etc), but if it is accurate i dont think the reasons that estuarine gave would be sufficient enough to bring it that low.

anyway, here's hoping it's not accurate....
AlanD

Does not look good. 1 out of 92 to UCD and 0 to Trinity

http://education.independent.ie/league/2014/76104o
Ken
Site Admin

Finnian's and Fingal in Swords were 46% and 51% respectively. Not great either.
Regards,

Ken.
diggerbarnes

I'm so surprised to hear this. Especially considering how dedicated the two previous principals were to the school and its students.
james

Ranking of second last and 37% is correct, we came second last as a School in Co. Dublin. Our School is very good at sports,What happened with the first Year group to get 37%.This year group did so well in the Junior. I remember looking at their results when they were on the Noticeboard in the School.
estuarine

It's definitely not a great outcome.

I wonder how many of the teachers there have good Leaving Cert experience given it's a new school. How many of them mark the exams, serve as oral/practical examiners etc? That is vital experience within a school that ensures students know exactly what to aim for. You'd be surprised just how few teachers nationally do that. As an examiner - which I also am - I'm often surprised by the nonsense about exams and their marking that is spouted as gospel by people who've never done it. But I digress...
Mr. Stupid

That might make a minor difference. Those results are something you would associate with an area of severe deprivation and very high unemployment. Quite frankly, those results are a disgrace.

Considering the ease of getting from Donabate to Trinity you would expect half the year to be going there. Either the teachers are wasters or the students are.
micropoodle

Are we confusing exam results with college places?I suppose this list doesn't necessarily reflect the exam results. Is there a league table for that?
Maybe people didn't take up a 3rd level place this year for specific reasons?

I'm clutching at straws here but I'm trying to give the school the benefit of the doubt
Ann O
Site Admin

I can't claim to know many of those who sat their leaving at DCC, but I know of one who is at Trinity now so perhaps the published figures are not so accurate.
davemac

What my one told me who did the L.C. this year and who is now in College was that Management took the eye off the ball. " It was fun time everyday no interest in study"
blowin1

I have a child in the current 6th year, and there is a very strong emphasis on study with a number of afterschool classes with their teachers so we're very happy at the moment. Just in case any of you have children in DCC, I see that the school will be closed on Tuesday due to the strike.
AlanD

They are very poor results, there is no other way of looking at it. College is not for everyone, but it certainly is for more than one out of three school leavers. This is a shocker.

As pointed out, the numbers would suggest an area of significant social disadvantage. I have to say I am surprised as my impression is that there is a good emphasis on academic performance - is this completely wrong? Are the teachers broadly inexperienced and missing a crucial backup of the weight of experience from older teachers available in more mature schools? It really needs explanation from the school. If anyone speaks to the principal it would be interesting to hear her take on this.
sinkschool

There is an obvious problem with under investment in the school and its environs. As evidenced by:

The old Educate Together site is a disgrace.

The Astro Turf pitch was never commissioned.

There is reportedly a problem with a rodent infestation in the school.

Lack of investment is the predominant factor in schools failing as is mainly why Hackney Downs school in the UK famously closed. Years of under investment resulted in the school under performing.

The school in Donabate is clearly at risk of following in Hackney Downs path, by firstly having poor results. Next it will become a "sink school" then it will close. This can all be addressed with appropriate funding of necessary services both within the school and it's environs.

If only we had a local councillor on the board of Dublin Dun Laoghaire ETB....
james

It is hard to understand that this group got such a good Junior, and ranked second last for the Leaving Cert. What happened in three years.
crunchie

As a parent these results are shocking. We have taken a huge risk sending our children to this school as it is so new we had nothing to go on. The stats of only 1 in 3 pupils going on to college is a disgrace. What are the other pupils doing since leaving school as there are very few jobs.. I find the school is not very settled between having 3 principals in as many years, the teachers all seem very young - in turn possibly inexperienced and now these results. A school can have as much emphasis on sports and after school facilities but if the academic side of things are not top priority then it is failing our children. Would love to hear from the school on this matter.
paddi22

its funny when you look at the debate previously where some parents were complaining the old principal had too much focus on academic results and not enough fun things like sport. The difference between the junior and leaving results would seem to show she was correct, and that the school has suffered since the principal change.

It's ridiculous that a new school should have so many principal changes. is there any way parents can demand the new principals are on a minimum contract length of a few years?
jack white

I suspect that people have got hold of the wrong end of the stick here.

There's no official figures about the actual results but I've been talking to one or two people who say they weren't bad.

The figures about college-going kids doesn't necessarily reflect how good the results were.

The real question we should be asking is: Why did 63% of parents decide not to send their kids to college? It's a very high percentage for what is, after all, a largely middle class area.
Donabate Hatter

Hi Jack

You make an extremely good point, surely we need to see what the actual results were, the fact that only 1 in 3 went onto college prove nothing in relation to the actual exam results!!
Ken
Site Admin

Does it also cover private colleges like Griffith College? If not, then it's not a very accurate statistic.
Regards,

Ken.
james

All schools would have children going to Private Colleges, England, and not going to any College. When we remove all these factors the Donabate L.C. 2014 came second last, although they had excellent Junior results when I read them in the school after the Junior. What happened ?
Donabate Hatter

Sorry James, but as far as I can see this is a league table of how many pupils form Donabate school went onto college not a league table of results, those are two very different things.
james

I agree with you and Donabate 2014 came second last going on to College. If you want us to believe that the rest of them are walking up and down to Super Valu with 600 points in their back pocket. Then I follow you.