Recommend a Bathroom Provider

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Bauhaus

Hi,
I wonder can anyone recommend a reliable company who renovates/fits bathrooms.
Thanks!
AW41

Hi
Highly recommend Barry O Flaherty of O Flaherty heating & plumbing, local reliable & honest. Further details on FB.
cgp5659

Would totally recommend Donabate Bathroom Installations. They have a showroom at the end of Turvey Avenue in the business park. Our bathroom was totally gutted and a wet room installed. The workers were really professional and overall the job was quick and very reasonably priced. Contact Philip on 0851419096. You can check out their website there are lots of pictures of their work http://www.dbh.ie/default.asp
Bauhaus

Thanks for the recommendations!
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

cgp5659 wrote:Would totally recommend Donabate Bathroom Installations. They have a showroom at the end of Turvey Avenue in the business park. Our bathroom was totally gutted and a wet room installed. The workers were really professional and overall the job was quick and very reasonably priced. Contact Philip on 0851419096. You can check out their website there are lots of pictures of their work http://www.dbh.ie/default.asp
Nice guys alright and pics of their work look great but they quoted me 8 grand and 3 weeks to rip out an en-suite that is about 1.8m squared and put in a wet room. I'd rip it out myself in a day...
Bauhaus

Thanks Bill. Not what I wanted to hear! Have heard some crazy quotes for wet rooms alright.
Bertie

I can second the recommendation for using local lad Philip in Donabate Bathrooms. He fitted two wet rooms and remodelled a downstairs toilet for me. He came when he said he would, he did the job he said he would do and he finished when he said he would. And his work is perfection. If you PM me you can see my wet rooms and cloakroom. I live in Turvey. First class organised tradesmen like him are are a dying breed.
Bauhaus

Thanks Bertie!
cgp5659

Bauhaus cannot do PM so am responding here. Our bathroom is very small and we are shower people so we had a wet room put in. We were fortunate in that we had only just bought the house so some of the work done while we were in transition not overly inconvenienced. The bathroom was completely gutted down to the timber frame. We had our toilet and sink repositioned and the room was completely tiled with an open shower area. Philip also installed new spotlights, mirror and light above mirror. He also builds recessed shelves and we had a seat built in the shower area. The job took approximately nine days (worked half day Saturday, not Sunday) this includes waiting time when drying of membrane had to take place and then drying of grout/sealant. We were in the house for the latter part of the project and Philip managed to have toilet put back in place each evening. We paid approx. 8500 euro we had quotes from other places which were relatively commensurate. We also went and priced out the sanitary ware for ourselves and that was in line with what we ended up paying for the sanitary ware from Donabate Bathrooms. I too thought it was a bit pricey at the time however in the end we did not have to deal with the mess and we are extremely happy with the result. The key things we found with Donabate Bathrooms is just what Bertie said they showed up when they said they would, were extremely professional, and it all works like it should. We have had no problems. We also live in Turvey and would be happy to show our bathroom off :)
Bauhaus

Fantastic! Thanks so much for all the detail, it's very helpful. And the offer of the guided tour :) We'll take a trip up to the showroom first and see if we proceed.
Cheers
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

I completely agree in paying a price that you are happy with and trade-wise a good job really shows. But at the same time, if I could charge more in my office job for being on time, showing up to work when I'm supposed to be in work, and doing what I said I would do, I'd be a millionaire.

As someone in the middle of a self managed build, I get frustrated at tradesmen charging ridiculous amounts for labour and giving the impression that working an 8 hour day and being on time is something we should pay more for.

In my case, as mentioned the room was 1.8m square (* 2.4m high).
Tiling the entire room materials wise and say €30 per sqm for fancy tiles + grout.
- 20.52 sqm (and this assumes the room has no door) * 30 = € 616
- Existing sink and toilet were to be reused.
- New shower = €300
- Heated towel rail = €70
- Wetroom materials inc door, €1000 max

Total : €1986

Which means €6514 was being charged outside of materials.
Apparently this would have taken 3 weeks but it appears the same amount of work that was done for cgp5659 in 9 days.

€6514/ 9 days = €723 a day which is €183k a year (at 253 working days a year)

I know that's a rough calculation but still illustrates that that price / quote could be better.

At the end of the day if it's something you can't do yourself, and everyone is quoting roughly the same price then there's nothing you can do only pay it. But I'd be asking for a break down for materials and labour and potentially get the materials yourself to save on cost.
Bauhaus

Thanks for the perspective Bill. We're considering all options, including taking on some of the work ourselves, perhaps some tiling.