33D Express to City Centre and Home to Portrane

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
pat_rafter

Hi All 33D passengers.
Just a heads up on a service update. I have been told by one of the drivers that Dubin Bus plans to implement a new timetable for the 33D both into town and home again in a cuople of weeks time. The existing 7.30am will now become a 7.20am from Portrane (not sure Burrow or Seaview) but I would think that it would be from the Burrow as it will now incorporate the 33B service and go through Swords, Holywell, onto the M1 and then continue on it's normal route.
The route home will now leave town at 5.15pm, take it's normal route of Port tunnel and M1 but then branch off via Holywell and into Swords to then continue as the 6.00pm from Swords to Portrane.

So the journey which takes normally 30-35 minutes approx. to the city center and home is now going to take nearly 1hr. This is worth considering if your annual ticket is up for renewal shortly and if you are like me use the bus in the morning and train in the evening.

Now it's not as if people from Swords have not got a bus service, they currently have the 33, 41, 41b, 41c, 41x, 43 and the 142 skirts the edge of Swords coming from Malahide befor hitting the M1. So thats 7 different services and if you add our's that's an 8th route from Swords to City Centre. PLUS the Swords Express which has 3 different routes to town and 3 home at peak times.

The local councillors in the Swords Electoral district are as follows;
Cllr. Philip Lynam, Sinn Fein, Philip.Lynam@cllrs.fingal.ie, 0851259902
Cllr. Darragh Butler, Fianna Fáil, Darragh.Butler@cllrs.fingal.ie, 0879595378
Cllr. Adrian Henchy, Fianna Fáil, Adrian.Henchy@cllrs.fingal.ie, 0876814485
Cllr. Joe Newman, Independent, Joe.Newman@cllrs.fingal.ie, 0872457729
Cllr. Eugene Coppinger, Anti Austerity Alliance, Eugene.Coppinger@cllrs.fingal.ie, 0872327412
Cllr. Anne Devitt, Independent, Anne.Devitt@cllrs.fingal.ie, (01)8409728 or 0868123435
Cllr. Paul Mulville, Independent, Paul.Mulville@cllrs.fingal.ie, 0863787395
Cllr. Justin Sinnott, Independent, Justin.Sinnott@cllrs.fingal.ie, 0868426545
Cllr. Duncan Smith, Labour Party, Duncan.Smith@cllrs.fingal.ie, 0879862686

I urge everyone who uses this service to contact Dublin Bus and your Public Representative's (who you voted for) and tell them to leave our service alone.

Have a good day. PAT
Last edited by pat_rafter on 14 Oct 2014, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
Vlad the Impaler

Looks like Dublin Bus has not lost the old mentality which forgets that the service is for the passengers convenience rather than their own.

I'm not sure how much influence the councillors would have... is Dublin Bus not more like a private company now?

I would be aiming my letters at their service manager.
Derek

This is a crude stunt to kill the service. Many will revert to the train thanks to the chicanery being proposed and numbers will fall so much that nobody will use it. For what its worth, I'll whack an email of to the councillors and he CEO of Dublin Bus and see what happens.

Anbody who witnessed how crowded that bus was yesterday morning will find this decision hard to stomach.
Burt

Spoke to the driver this evening and changes are coming in on Monday 19th October.
Vlad the Impaler

Yeah, I'll fire a few emails off too.
Derek

Just a thought, Brendan Ryan runs his clinic in Donabate on Thursday evening. Wouldn't it be great if the whole bus decamped into the clinic to voice their collective concerns.... ;)
pat_rafter

I did receive a prompt reply from Cllr Adrian Henchy.

Many thanks for contacting me with regards to this issue. I met with Dublin Bus only recently and they assured me of their commitment to this service they did comment that they are currently running a morning service to the city and a return in the evening with average passenger use is running at a third of capacity.
I have emailed Dublin Bus to ask if they can verify this and I will revert back to you once I get a reply.
Kindest Regards,
Adrian

Nothing from Cllr Mulville I'm afraid which is disappointing.
Hibee

This is a disgrace altogether.

Derek - do you have the DublinBus CEO details at hand? I will be on to them sharp.

This suits Swords perfectly as their 41X isn't allowed to go through the tunnel due to court injunction from the Swords Express.

At the VERY LEAST, we should be requesting that some of the Balbriggan/Skerries/Lusk express buses stop by Donabate in the morning - vice versa in the evening AND that some of the Swords Dublin Bus express routes extend to Donabate in the evening and vice versa in the morning.
Last edited by Hibee on 08 Oct 2014, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
pat_rafter

Hi Hibee
Just to clarify.
The 41x DOES go through the Port Tunnel but only in the morning run from Swords to UCD. It is not allowed the use of the Port Tunnel in the evening as you have pointed out due to court injunction from the Swords Express.
Derek

Hibee wrote:This is a disgrace altogether.

Derek - do you have the DublinBus CEO details at hand? I will be on to them sharp.

This suits Swords perfectly as their 41X isn't allowed to go through the tunnel due to court injunction from the Swords Express.

At the VERY LEAST, we should be requesting that some of the Balbriggan/Skerries/Lusk express buses stop by Donabate in the morning - vice versa in the evening AND that some of the Swords Dublin Bus express routes extend to Donabate in the evening and vice versa in the morning.
The CEO of Dublin Bus is Paddy Doherty, and their head office address 59 Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin 1.

The simple fact here re loadings is horse sh!t. The 33D is loaded greater than a third full and even that is still more than most north county routes are handling off peak. The 33/ 33A / 33B have only a handful on them most of the day. This is why DB are being paid a subvention. it is to cover the cost / losses of services like ours. I also think we should all be making our way to Brendan Ryan's clinc in Thursday. He's "local" and in government. Enough said.
Derek

Hibee wrote: This suits Swords perfectly as their 41X isn't allowed to go through the tunnel due to court injunction from the Swords Express.

The 41X does go through the tunnel. One of my work colleagues uses it on occasions and he also says that the spay between DB and Swords express was resolved some time ago.

The 33X coming through Donabate is a waste of time. It's full leaving both Lusk in the morning and returning in the evenings. There's no point for it asking for it to call here.
Hibee

Thanks Derek

I've found his email online its paddy.doherty@dublinbus.ie - everyone should write a strongly-worded letter to him. Mine will be going off today.
Derek

Folks, has anyone received any responses from their contacts with Dublin Bus or the elected representatives?
pat_rafter

Reply received from Cllr Mulville.
I fully agree with your concerns and have made strong representations to Dublin Bus in this regards. I will let you know when I have a response.
In the meantime, perhaps it would be worthwhile to get some of the bus users together to discuss the matter?
Regards,
Paul Mulville
Derek

Sent you a PM.
jayflame

We need a reliable transport service in/out of Donabate and into Dublin.
Currently there is only the sort of frequent train service that Irish Rail try to provide.
Then there is this 33D, of which there is only one service morning and evening.

In the last 5 years, there has been more of a need for a reliable bus service into Dublin due to failures on the rail.
Recent strikes and weather conditions have caused the 33D to be almost over full.
And it is now the end of Summer (sorry about that), and weather conditions are only to worsen.

Donabate is now a Commuter Town. If residents cannot get the train or bus, they will drive.
Cycling is not an option with the hazardous roads leading out of Donabate, both Hearse and Turvey.

If anything, the 33B should be extended to the Airport.
This will give additional options for connecting buses.

Where I come from, buses companies would provide a service where the majority wanted to go like, to the City/Town Center or to the station/airport. Connecting to another form of transport.
Dublin Bus, in my opinion, appears to dictate where people want to go and sticks a bus service there.

Note to Dublin Bus;
I want a regular service going to Dublin Airport through Swords and back.
I want more than one bus into Dublin City Center in the mornings and evenings.

Provide that service and you will get my money.

Heading off topic.
Question to Dublin Bus
How many buses in North County Dublin do you provide a service from a station to the airport?
I can only find 1.
Good call.
Burt

Just wondering if anybody has any updates on what is happening with the bus service?
Derek

Burt wrote:Just wondering if anybody has any updates on what is happening with the bus service?
My information is that there are no "immediate" plans to change the service, but that doesn't mean that they may not change soon. I'll post more info when I get it.
Bawner

I called dublin bus today and their customer service are not aware of any changes.
Could be just an informal tester to get some feedback to see if there was an appetite for it.

I agree with poster that 33B should run to airport. 33b as it stands can't be that viable with a service every 30 mins with a few people on board. Extending to airport would offer a service people would use and increase viability and importance of 33b.
pat_rafter

Article in North County Leader thanks to Cllr Mulville
http://www.northcountyleader.ie/index.p ... ville.html

33D Bus Service Must Be Retained - Mulville
Paul Mulville, Independent councillor for the Swords local electoral area, has called on Dublin Bus to retain the popular and heavily used 33d bus service, a direct bus service between Portrane and Donabate and the city centre via the Port Tunnel.
“Workers in the Portrane and Donabate area, who commute to the city centre, are concerned and angered at rumours the 33d bus service is going to be scrapped and amalgamated with the existing 33b service,” he said. “Even though there is only one bus in the mornings, leaving Portrane at 7.30am and leaving town at 5.45pm, the 33d is a very well used service and in particular serves workers commuting to the Docklands and Stephen’s Green area.”
“The travel time is relatively fast, as the service uses the Port Tunnel. If it were amalgamated with the 33B it would be diverted to go through Swords, adding to the journey time. Dublin Bus should not be considering scrapping the service, but in fact expanding and improving it,” he continued.
“It would be a short-sighted and retrograde step for the people of Donabate and Portrane were Dublin Bus to scrap this vital 33D service bus service. I am calling on the bus company to re-assure their customers that this will not happen,” Mulville concluded.
Derek

OK, I think its time we changed tactic here. The National Transport Authority are the final arbiters in relation to directly awared bus routes, which the 33D currently is. They can be emailed at info@nationaltransport.ie If they tell Dublin Bus that they cannot make changes to the route then they have to abide by that decision.

We need to make our submissions NOW before any decision is made
Burt

To assist those willing to make submissions to the NTA, I have prepared a draft below. Please feel free to alter to personalise your submission. The email address for the NTA is info@nationaltransport.ie.

Dear Sir/Madam,

As a daily user of the this bus service I would like to bring to your attention the rumour that Dublin Bus propose to alter the 33D Express bus route from Donabate/Portrane to Dublin City Centre via Swords.

The 33D bus service is currently the only direct bus service that the residents of Donabate/Portrane have to the city centre and there is only 1 scheduled service per day. Currently the travel time for this service takes 30-35 minutes from Donabate to the North Quays and a further 10-15mins to reach St. Stephens Green.

The proposed change for the 33D is to incorporate the 7.30am 33B bus route to Swords before continuing on into the city centre. Likewise the return journey in the evening will depart Custom House Quay but divert via Swords to incorporate the 6.00pm 33B journey from Swords to Donabate/Portrane.

These proposed changes will add an additional 20mins to the existing journey time as the bus negotiates the numerous roundabouts and additional traffic travelling into Swords and therefore arriving later into the city centre, the volume of traffic will naturally have increased thus making the journey slower travelling across town to St Stephens Green. Similarly, the journey time home will also be significantly extended as the bus navigates its way through an already busy Airside Industrial Park and through Swords Village.

The proposed alteration will make this route unattractive and force commuters such as me away from public transport and back into our cars, which I’m sure that National Transport Authority would like to avoid.

It is also worth noting that Swords is an already well serviced route by both Public (Dublin Bus) and Private (SwordsExpress) bus companies.

Having contacted Dublin Bus Customer Service, they advised that there are no such plans, however I have spoken directly with the bus drivers from the Harristown depot who service the route and they have confirmed that these plans are afoot and are due to be implemented shortly.

I therefore ask you, The National Transport Authority, to decline any request received from Dublin Bus to alter this service.
Lo-cal

Thanks Burt for assisting in providing a draft to make submissions to the NTA, which I will be doing today.
pat_rafter

HI
Update from Cllr Adrian Henchy

I have heard back from Dublin Bus and I can confirm that they are currently reviewing the 33d timetable. It is proposed to operate the 33d service from The Burrow Portrane via Seaview, Swords Bypass Hollywell the M1 in the am and via Holywell, Swords Main street on the return journey. I was also advised that a revised timetable will be introduced in the near future.
It appears that the rationale for Dublin Bus making this decision is due to the under capacity of this service into the City centre at peak times.

I have urged Dublin Bus to reconsider this decision on the basis that, the service provided at the moment is the only direct route to the city for the residents of Donabate & Portrane and again home in the evening. There is currently no other direct scheduled bus route to the city centre for the community of Donabate & Portrane in comparison to Swords which is already well connected with both public and private services operating back and forth to the City Centre at regular times. I also pointed out to Dublin Bus that this service at times is the Peninsula’s only link to the City particularly when the train services are down.

I do believe if this route is detoured through Holywell the people using the service will no longer use it as it will take longer to arrive at their destination therefore Dublin Bus will lose out on revenue and eventually cut the service.

I would also like to point out at the last Fingal County Council Area Committee Meeting an emergency motion was put forward asking that this service continue in its current state. This motion was passed and signed by nearly all the Councillors.

I have requested that Dublin Bus hold off on this plan for the foreseeable future and I will continue to make strong representation on your behalf.

Yours Sincerely,

Adrian

I would like to thank Cllrs Henchy and Mulville for their efforts on our behalf in trying to retain our service as is on the 33D.
Lori lou

Hi.I had a reply from Mr. O Doherty at 15.30 today regarding the changes on the Route 33D Anyone else receive email?
It seems that the changes are going ahead regardless of what commuters say.
Can our elected councillors get together and try to sort this out.