Smyth's Pub being taken over

Jabba

I was talking to a friend in the village yesterday and they had heard a rumour that Smyth's was being taken over by Wetherspoon's as part of their expansion into the Irish market.

I think this would be great as we would finally have a decent pub in Donabate !

Anyone else hear anything ?
Minidigger

weatherspoons would be no improvement. Formulaic standardised decor across 900 odd pubs in theUK. Food arrives into weatherspoons as balls of ice and are defrosted. i dont think they'll go off script much for Ireland. I dont know a lot of people who frequent either pub regularly now. I used to go the Keelings a bit, Hop on the train to Skerries now.
Harry Byrne

Hopefully Weatherspoons will get the mop out! They do lots of food and there's plenty of room for parking.
IPAst

I for one welcome this. Irish owned pubs have failed to control the excessive drinking culture in Ireland. We need a good English chain with weak warm ales to put us back on track.
micropoodle

people in this town are so gullible! ;)

it probably started off as someone mentioning that Smyths may be taken over (which may or may not be true) and then chinese whispered its way to Wetherspoons taking them over.

Wetherspoons would have zero interest in Donabate. If they did take it over it would probably be their quietest pub out of the hundreds they have!
gemma

Fix - Pave - Improve that eyesore of what people call the 'carpark' at the side of Smyths. Serve some decent food and have a coffee bar and cater for those commuting - waiting on trains etc... and it would be a goldmine! It ain't rocket science
Mr. Stupid

I am taking it over and going to call it Mr. Stupid's gaf.
Harry Byrne

micropoodle wrote:people in this town are so gullible! ;)

it probably started off as someone mentioning that Smyths may be taken over (which may or may not be true) and then chinese whispered its way to Wetherspoons taking them over.

Wetherspoons would have zero interest in Donabate. If they did take it over it would probably be their quietest pub out of the hundreds they have!
You are the gullible one for thinking we were serious. People in this town are perfectly savvy!
micropoodle

Harry you didn't create this thread. I'm sure the OP was genuine in his/her question.

I wasn't being nasty in my reply. It's just that the rumours that I hear on an almost weekly basis about donabate are unreal. 2 weeks ago a neighbour told me that Tesco were opening up a Tesco Extra beside their distribution centre!
Harry Byrne

micropoodle wrote:Harry you didn't create this thread. I'm sure the OP was genuine in his/her question.

I wasn't being nasty in my reply. It's just that the rumours that I hear on an almost weekly basis about donabate are unreal. 2 weeks ago a neighbour told me that Tesco were opening up a Tesco Extra beside their distribution centre!
It will be a great addition to the retail options on the peninsula
Archdale

A bit off topic, there's a Weatherspoons going into what used to be Tonic in Blackrock but they won't have Guinness on draft due to a row with Diageo.
Ann O
Site Admin

That Wetherspoons openend last week, think they just bought the 40 Foot in Dun Laoghaire too. Place in Cork opening soon also.

They didn't exactly row with Diageo, it's just that Diageo set a price point at which they want Guinness sold, and Wetherspoons decided not to take them up on it.
MacG

They refused to pay more than they were paying for Guinness in the UK.