Secondary School

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Sydney

Got a text this morning at 7:53 that read:

"Unfortunately due to heavy rains overnight our holding tanks are now full to capacity. We are unable to assess whether or not we will have bathroom facilities during the day. With this in mind and given the accessive (sic) rain if you would like to keep your son/daughter at home today we fully understand and the student will not be marked absent. We are seeking further advice from Co Dub VEC in this regard"

I wonder how many people sent their children in?

I find it hard to accept that the pitch floods only 4 days after being signed for and that only a year after being built the "holding tanks are at capacity". Didn't they know they built on marsh land? How could rain affect the school like this? Wasn't it taken into account?
Ken
Site Admin

That does look bad. I know it was very heavy rain, but it's not exactly unprecedented in Ireland.
Regards,

Ken.
Spider

I sent my daughter in but there were only nine in her class today. I don't really understand the people who kept their kids out. She said the toilets were sorted by this afternoon.
Ken
Site Admin

They need to do something about their holding tanks. The schools were built on a very marshy area so drainage is minimal.
Regards,

Ken.
Ad Astra

Would any body know about it being open I attend there ??? :?:
Ken
Site Admin

Given then didn't have problems this afternoon and the rain has eased off, I would presume that they will be open.
Regards,

Ken.
Ad Astra

Thanks for the note
Sydney

Text just come in from school. They're open this morning!
blowin1

My kids went in yesterday, hardly anyone in their respective classes - like other posters, I am astonished that it was unofficially closed yesterday due to the holding tanks being full. Just met a neighbour who had to drop down a jacket to her child in the secondary school and was told that they now do not have any electricity, we are fine here, so not sure now whether we'll get a text to say come and get your children.
Ken
Site Admin

Electricity was off in the general area from 9.15 to 10.20. I got a call from home to say it was back on so I presume the schools is the same.
Regards,

Ken.
Vlad the Impaler

Ok, it was a few days rain, but hardly a monsoon.

I can't understand why local infrastructure continually fails to meet basic needs.