Rail users alternative transport for Monday??

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Donabate12

Does anyone know if there is alternative transport on Monday should the rail strike go ahead?

Thanks
Harry Byrne

I'm cycling.

I think there's a bus at 7.30 am from Portrane and 5.45pm at Custom House
Quello Serio

Thats the 33D. I found that it doesn't show up here: http://www.journeyplanner.transportfori ... anguage=en . As it is about 30 minutes faster than the bus alternatives, I asked why. This was the reply:

"Further to your email, we have contacted Dublin Bus relating to the 33D bus service.
Dublin Bus have informed us that the 33D bus service is not included in the export data they forward to us, which is subsequently imported into the National Journey Planner. They have explained that the 33D is currently a Monday to Friday service, with 1 trip inbound at 07:30 and 1 outbound at 17:45 and that the 33D will be added when new schedules for Area north for routes 33 and 41 are introduced in the coming months."

So its a Secret Service, as far as the Journey Planner is concerned. If no-one knows about it, no-one will use it. If no-one uses it, it will be cancelled.
estuarine

What the train strike really demonstrates is how isolated we are as a result of our bus service. There is no coordination between the 33B and the departure times of buses from Swords. I'm sure we've all had the experience of arriving in Swords to see either the 33B or the bus we were hoping to connect to pulling away without any consideration.

Whatever one's view of the unions, it is unreasonable to expect Dublin Bus to improve the 33B service for the days of the strike. The drivers would be members of the same unions as the Iarnród Éireann staff so to do so would amount to strike breaking.

To be honest, I'm dismayed that no attempt has been made to get this called off over the past few days. Workers earning under 56k in IÉ are being asked to take a 1.4pc gross pay cut which will be fully restored after two years. That is nothing compared to the cuts taken by public servants such as myself not to mention private sector workers who have lost their jobs. Workers in the civil and public service currently have no guaranteed date for the restoration of the various pay cuts they have taken which are closer to 15pc gross all told - not counting the tax increases and levies imposed on the general population. Sorry, but it is very difficult to have sympathy for the rail workers, particularly since the Labour Court has recognised that the company is facing insolvency.
Mr. Stupid

56K for driving the train. That is an incredible wage for something with no commercial pressures, no 3rd level qualification, no insane hours, extremely low chance of getting the sack, zero chance your job is exporting to India, no-one docking your pay when the train is late. How much do train drivers in Northern Ireland get paid?

(that said I assume it is a terrible job when accidents and suicides happen in front of your eyes).

I think the government need to stand up to them. Get the Army in to drive the trains.
jayflame

Thankfully, I managed to get on the 33D and one of the last seats on the top deck. Extremely lucky.
I wonder, in times like this, Dublin Bus don't offer to run more service's like this. And advertise it.
I didn't see if everyone got on this bus and feel sorry for anyone that didn't.
Derek

There were more 33D's immediately after the reinstatement of the Malahide viaduct 5 years ago and there was a clear call locally for them to remain as a welcome alternative to the crowded train. Initially Dublin Bus acceded to this request but unfortunately the numbers using 33D thereafter dwindled significantly and we lost all bar the solitary each-way service we have now. The argument that, if you provide buses that they'll be used, was not one we won. If we look up the road to Rush / Lusk / Skerries, they still retained their 33X because all of them are significantly loaded, if not full. Having said that, I personally believe an additional morning bus leaving Portrane at 8:30 am to fill the gap between the 8:30am and 9:10 city-bound trains might be viable, as would extending the 33B to go Donabate / Swords / Dublin Airport. The latter obviously gives us a direct route to DAP, but also gives the option to travel to the city by bus using other airport services when the trains are unavailable.
Harry Byrne

I presumed the 33D would be jammed so I cycled. Wouldn't be keen to do so on a regular basis. Negotiating roundabouts at Swords / Airport is almost traumatic. Cycle lanes where they exist are blocked or come to dead ends. The plus if you can put up with all that is getting to D2 in an hour for free. But too much hassle for my liking.
Vlad the Impaler

I tried cycling a couple years back and thought it was a good spin into town.

Unfortunately I value my family and personal safety too much too keep it up. The road out of Donabate is treacherous.

Best hope is the cycleway across the estuary if it ever happens in this lifetime.