Diesel Car to Buy.

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Minidigger

Hi There,

Looking to buy a mid mileage diesel saloon car from 2009 to 2011. Make not important, Passat, Insignia etc.

Must be in PMO. Welcome any reponses on this.

Regards
MD
bear

Hi id never buy another laguna if that's any help to you .It was a lovely big comfortable car loads of extras but it loved going back to the garage time after time!!
Minidigger

thanks bear. have a rogue passat currently. Cars are too complex now.
Diego

If you don't do high mileage buy a petrol car.
All kinds of potential problems with Diesel engines.
Diesel Particulate filter "google it" for information.
As previous reply states Diesel engines very complicated now.
Also danger of getting bad Diesel that can wreck your engine.
Do your homework.
Derek

Diego wrote:If you don't do high mileage buy a petrol car.
All kinds of potential problems with Diesel engines.
Diesel Particulate filter "google it" for information.
As previous reply states Diesel engines very complicated now.
Also danger of getting bad Diesel that can wreck your engine.
Do your homework.
This is very good advice. A lot of people are plumping for diesels solely because road tax and diesel fuel prices look very attractive. However the modern diesels are very complicated beasts with plenty of very expensive gubbins to go wrong. Diesel particulate filters, dual mass flywheels, injectors, common rail pumps, a myriad of sensors.... they're all there waiting to mug your wallet

Ive driven lots of diesels myself and one which recently impressed me on a holiday in Italy was the Fiat Bravo. There's not many of them on the roads here but in terms of performance, economy and driving experience, this thing was way ahead of a similar Golfs and Focus I'd used elsewhere. Average was somewhere around 60mpg over a week of mixed driving.
Minidigger

i need a diesel for the mileage i will do. my 2011 passat (diesel) company car has had fuel pump, water pump, clutch flywheel replaced. All under warranty, but shouldnt have gone in a 3 yr old car in the first place. 1.6D Passat is plagued with problems, 2.0D Passat seems to escape this issues largely. Fuel consumption is exceptional though 1200/1400 Kms on a tank.
Derek

My brother has an A4 2.0TDi (2011). Its had a dual mass flywheel, clutch and a diesel particulate filter pressure sensor replaced. The car has done 80k miles. There wasn't much change out of €1500 for the clutch and flywheel and that was cheapest price he got for the job (Audi alone wanted another grand!!)

As for regular maintenance, its cambelt and waterpump was done and it cost somewhere around €700 to because the whole front of the car had to come off to do the job. The oil for those TDi's is stupidly expensive at something like €17 a litre! Injectors on some versions of 2.0 cost €800 a pop and can fail as easily as a lightbulb.

It's a tough one to call reconciling cheap road tax and fuel versus the cost of repairs when things go wrong - which they usually do.
Donabate User

Derek wrote:My brother has an A4 2.0TDi (2011). Its had a dual mass flywheel, clutch and a diesel particulate filter pressure sensor replaced. The car has done 80k miles. There wasn't much change out of €1500 for the clutch and flywheel and that was cheapest price he got for the job (Audi alone wanted another grand!!)

As for regular maintenance, its cambelt and waterpump was done and it cost somewhere around €700 to because the whole front of the car had to come off to do the job. The oil for those TDi's is stupidly expensive at something like €17 a litre! Injectors on some versions of 2.0 cost €800 a pop and can fail as easily as a lightbulb.

It's a tough one to call reconciling cheap road tax and fuel versus the cost of repairs when things go wrong - which they usually do.
I just bought a 1.6 kia feed diesel. Fuel efficiency is OK. To be honest, thought it would be better. Getting about 950km of a tank for m50 driving. The on board computer tells me I am averaging about 49 miles per gallon for m50 driving. The specs claimed the car would do 67mpg. So I was expecting at least 55mpg.