Bird Scarer Again

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
micropoodle

Yet again mr. Don't give a shit farmer has set his bird scarer device in the field behind somerton to go off 3 times every 10 mins for 24 hours.

This is an annual occurence. Surely at this stage he has figured out how to work the timer. Or, most likely he does this to piss us off. I know I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight. Ear plugs are no good as I have to be able to hear a 3 month old baby.

Does anyone have any contact details for this fool?
Ken
Site Admin

This was a major problem a couple of years ago. I don't think we had the problem last year. Somerton, Carr's Mill, Cois Inbhir and Beaverbrook residents were impacted.

Efforts were made to contact the person who owned the bird scarer, but were to no avail. The people who built Cois Inbhir and own the ex-guest house opposite Beaverstown Golf Club (now rented out) appear to be renting out the fields to farmers. It wasn't possible to make contact with them or whoever owns the bird scarers.

I called the Guards last time and was unofficially advised to go into the field and disconnect them from the gas canister as the Guards could do nothing. They said I was within my rights as long as I didn't damage the equipment.

It's very inconsiderate especially for those with young children.
Regards,

Ken.
micropoodle

So potentially we are stuck with this for the next few months 24/7 until the gas runs out and they replace it.

I can't understand how people can be so inconsiderate and down right stupid. Surely when you are setting something like that, common sense would tell you to turn it off from say 9pm to 8am.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

I heard it last night too. If it's the same tonight, I think I'll be taking Ken's advice as gospel...
ah_yeah

I heard it last night too and thought it was fireworks the first few times though after that it became obvious what it was. Doesn't bother me too much as I sleep like a log but it does seem silly to have it going off at night unless theres been a sudden upsurge in radioactive mutant zombie crows all of a sudden ! Which I really doubt :lol:
Quello Serio

You don't have to be so melodramatic. A simple plague of vampire crows would be enough reason to deploy such a deterrant at night.
Ann O
Site Admin

It must be incredibly loud over by Somerton etc, as I'm on the New Road and could hear it clearly the last couple of nights! :o

There was a similar problem near us a few years ago, someone turned off the gas bottle that powers the thing.
Fido

I'm in Turvey and I could hear it !!
Silverarrow

I want to make a complaint about the content of some peoples comments on this topic. Can the person I need to email please give me his email address.
Ken
Site Admin

Silverarrow wrote:I want to make a complaint about the content of some peoples comments on this topic. Can the person I need to email please give me his email address.
I can't see why you have an issue with what has been said. admin@donabateportrane.net

You can also you the exclamation mark icon on a post to report it to admins.
Regards,

Ken.
Ken
Site Admin

Please don't name anyone in connection with this issue. There was someone named earlier in the thread. However contact was made with the Admins and of course that person has nothing to do with the land. All references have been removed.
Regards,

Ken.
Melissa

Ken you have quoted my post and the name is still up because of that. I have to say rather than complaining that the name was mentioned could people not just say no it's not his land?!! A question as to whether something belongs to someone or not is hardly offensive to that person.
Ken
Site Admin

Thanks Melissa. I deleted that post as well.

We were contacted and asked to remove all references which is fair enough as this has absolutely nothing to do with that individual.
Regards,

Ken.
beachboy

I have heard that noise too!!! Bloody annoying and I'm living up near the village.
I don't no why it is on at night as no birds would be going near crops till at least dawn..
Fecking nuisance....
Ken
Site Admin

I took a walk down towards the fields where the bird scarer is. I couldn't locate it exactly, but it's definitely coming from the lower field on the right when you pass Beaverstown golf club.

I noticed that there was a sign up saying that the lands are monitored by Netwatch. I gave them a call and asked if they could relay a message to the owner of the land advising that the scarer is going off 24/7. They were very helpful and said they would do their best to relay the message.
Regards,

Ken.
Ken
Site Admin

Netwatch just called me back and said that they contacted the owner who said he was very sorry and is heading straight up to turn it off.

Let's see.
Regards,

Ken.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Nice one Ken!
Sydney

Thanks Ken!
Ken
Site Admin

Thanks to Netwatch. They apologised when I called them and said they would do all they could to contact the owner. It had nothing to do with them, buy you have to admire the fact that they followed through and went as far as calling me back. They apologised on behalf of the farmer and he did as promised went up immediately and turned it off.

Good result all round.
Regards,

Ken.
micropoodle

Well done Ken.

I think ill auto schedule the same thread for next year!
Melissa

Thanks so much Ken. Good thinking on your part. :idea:
Fido

Many thanks Ken
micropoodle

Hi ken. Do you happen to have the number for that security company handy? Since this morning the thing has been giving the 3 gunshots every 2 minutes or less.

It's probably malfunctioned so don't want it going off like this 24/7 for the weekend

Thanks
Ken
Site Admin

Can't recall the number I used. This one is on their website - 1890 457 025. If it doesn't work, I can take a walk down later and get the number off the sign.

Didn't notice it myself, but probably will later on when it's quieter.
Regards,

Ken.