Malahide Walkway

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Vlad the Impaler

Was anyone involved in the recent public consultation on this?

Malahide people seem to know more about it that those I know in Donabate. Apparently this is progressing now and a major stumbling block is objections by land owners to the path going through their land on the way to Newbridge house. I would have though a route up the Kilcrea road would be more expedient.

Anyone know more about it.?

http://northcountyleader.ie/index.php?o ... Itemid=113
Mr. Stupid

Vlad the Impaler wrote:Was anyone involved in the recent public consultation on this?

Malahide people seem to know more about it that those I know in Donabate. Apparently this is progressing now and a major stumbling block is objections by land owners to the path going through their land on the way to Newbridge house. I would have though a route up the Kilcrea road would be more expedient.

Anyone know more about it.?

http://northcountyleader.ie/index.php?o ... Itemid=113
I put in a submission for it. I hope it goes ahead as thing it will be great for both sides of the water. We get their shops and pubs, they get our humour and natural beauty. It's win - win.

Kilcrea road is used by cars and therefore not a walkway / cycleway.
hmsBeagle

I think most people are in support of the walkway going ahead. It would be great asset for both sides of the estuary. I can see it being very busy on a glorious summers day!
The issue the landowners have, recent article in North County Leader, is that the walkway goes through their land, dividing one mans land down the middle. So obviously they would prefer it re-routed. animal welfare, litter, working practicality were their main points of argument if I remember correctly.

A built pathway along the existing Kilcrea road maybe?? I think that could work.
The current plans will also see the walkway being built on stilts, as it crosses fields which are prone to flooding.

But the walkway through the fields would be nicer, plenty of wildlife on view and no traffic.

There is also shooting in the area so i'm not sure if the planners took that into account. I'm not sure exactly what side of the railway they shoot on but they access it through the fields which are adjacent to the fields the walkway will run.
Derek

From reading the NCL article, I take this to mean that the walkway will share the Kilcrea Rd with existing traffic. They are not segregating Walkway traffic from mainstream traffic at the Malahide end either.
jayflame

I have been wanting this Bridleway completed for some time.
It looks like the land owner/farmer, who's fields cross the railway line, is refusing to relinquish any land to this venture.
Looking at Google Maps, the gravel paths that were created when the bridge repairs were carried out, stop either side of their land.

My guess is, a bridleway going along this stretch of land would allow public access to their fields on both sides of the rail track as there is a level crossing next to the river crossing.

Whilst the majority of us could benefit from this bridleway across the estuary, we do have to consider the local residents that have been here for generations.
The farmer would have a double gated crossing at the level crossing. They would have to get off their tracker, unlock and open 2 sets of gates, one set would block the bridleway, then move their tractor and close/lock the gates again each time they want to access their land on the far side of the tracks.
This in addition to losing a portion of their land and increased risk of rubbish being thrown onto their land by passers by.
The landowner is well within their rights to reject any plans like this, and I would do the same if I were them.
As much as I want this bridleway, to what cost?

Risk of a crime increase with a getaway route by bicycle/motorcycle over this route.
Increase risk of Road Traffic Accidents with drunken revelers staggering back into Donabate along un-pathed, unlit Hearse Road.

There are many pro's, but also many cons to this.
Do we really know if this will be a benefit in the long run?
Mr. Stupid

It is more likely that a cyclist (if not more) will get killed on the Turvey or Hearse road as they are extremely dangerous for cyclists and the only way to cycle in and out of Donabate.

As for drunken loats if they are coming back form Malahide and just can't afford a taxi will be absolutely nackered by the time he / she / them have walk the 5km across.

As for the farmer he / she will get money from any land. So its win win win.
ah_yeah

Why couldn't the walkway/cycleway be run directly from the village alongside the railway. There's a similar set up in Balbriggan that goes over the aqueduct and it works quite well (though it doesn't go for as long as the Malahide one would)

Just as like another poster said it would be safer in the long term. As access to Kilcrea via the hearse road from the village, for pedestrians especially is pretty dangerous (unless you cut through Newbridge,adding a lot more on to your journey ). Also if the walkway were to run from the village alongside the tracks it would, in my view get far more use. I know the idea of the walk is supposed to be scenic and some of that would be lost by placing it from the tracks in the village, but theres still the whole of the estuary to walk over and that undoubtedly has the natural beauty factor.

Ideally a loop walk incorporating a walkway from the village along the tracks going to Malahide , joining up with a walkway from kilcrea that encompasses the beach at the estuary down there. Then leading up to the hearse road with a proper path being built into the village and a path coming off it down towards corballis. With a proper path being built down through Corballis as far as the hotel , so that the beach, hotel and cliff walk are also incorporated.

Something like this: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... ByQRaw7e9c

It would be fantastic and a great asset to the area ! Although it's probably very unrealistic, one can dream :lol:

Next ambition will be to get a bridleway set up in Newbridge, especially with the equestrian centre just across the road it's such a shame so have that much parkland nearby(of which a large portion is very underused) going to waste. Especially since it definitely could be a fantastic tourist attraction and amenity in the area.
jayflame

Mr. Stupid wrote:It is more likely that a cyclist (if not more) will get killed on the Turvey or Hearse road as they are extremely dangerous for cyclists and the only way to cycle in and out of Donabate.
As a cyclist, I find Turvey Avenue the safer of the two roads in and out of Donabate.

It is not the road, but the drivers.
Oh, and I hold a HGV license so its not that I don't have enough experience or road sense to comment on other drivers.
Mr. Stupid wrote:As for drunken loats if they are coming back form Malahide and just can't afford a taxi will be absolutely nackered by the time he / she / them have walk the 5km across.
This is the worst state for anyone to be in, tired and drunk, stumbling and slow to react. And probably not dressed suitably for an unlit road.

Only stupid cyclists ride at night without lights.
Mr. Stupid wrote:As for the farmer he / she will get money from any land. So its win win win.
Question is, how much money are they demanding and how much money is FCC willing to pay?
This could be all that is delaying this project from progressing to completion.

I would like a charity bike ride to pass through Donabate, but the bridge is needed.
It would bring trade which would benefit the area.

Ah-Yeah, some good ideas there, but I doubt they will be put into place until well after the council estates are built.
Vlad the Impaler

Risk of a crime increase with a getaway route by bicycle/motorcycle over this route.
Increase risk of Road Traffic Accidents with drunken revelers staggering back into Donabate along un-pathed, unlit Hearse Road.
Well, with the price of a pint in Malahide these days, the drunken revellers you're thinking off will probably stick to Smyths.

As for the added escape route, well the existing options don't seem to be posing a problem for them anyway.
ah_yeah

Ah-Yeah, some good ideas there, but I doubt they will be put into place until well after the council estates are built.
Yeah but one can dream right :lol: ?

When are the proposed council estates planned to be built and where ?