Waterside House Hotel & Samphire Restaurant Sign

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
claned

Hey,

Anyone know why the sign advertising the hotel and restaurant was boarded over last week and then someone went to the bother of taking these down and painting over the signs in white?

Assume the hotel is still open, possibly temporarily closed for renovation? Haven't been down that way in a few weeks, but the sign looks terrible.

claned
hmsBeagle

The Hotel is still open alright but I think Samphire may have closed.
Ken
Site Admin

I was wondering if whoever's land the advertising was on wasn't getting paid and decided to cover it.

I was only in Samphire a couple of weeks ago. It was a Saturday night and it was very busy. Pity of it's gone.
Regards,

Ken.
Harry Byrne

I'm very fond of Samphire Restaurant, hope it is not closed for good.
Ken
Site Admin

I'm not sure it is closed. It's still mentioned on their website and you can still book online.
Regards,

Ken.
Banana

I love the food in samphire it's very good quality , and good value for the early bird......the only reason we don't go more often is the lack of atmosphere in the restaurant, and it's often freezing in there ,you end up whispering quietly like its a library,!!! We,ve even asked to order off that menu but stay in the lounge cos it was hopping, but not possible, Hope it's still there though . Maybe they didn't pay the rental on the sign ?
Vlad the Impaler

Biggest problem I have with the signage is the roadsign at the corner opposite the Ice Cream shop.

The Irish below Waterside hotel is Ostan Uisce Taobh. Now anyone who has learned a scrap of Irish
knows this should be Ostan Taobh Uisce.

... but then I'm not from this country so I couldn't possibly comment on the usage of Irish...
gremlin

Was down at the Hotel on Monday and I mentioned this thread to them and they said the Restaurant has not closed and still welcoming business.
Ken
Site Admin

gremlin wrote:Was down at the Hotel on Monday and I mentioned this thread to them and they said the Restaurant has not closed and still welcoming business.
That's good to hear.
Regards,

Ken.
Vlad the Impaler

Often wanted to visit Samphire. I hear it's top nosh. It would be good they opened for lunch during the summer.

btw, posts stating somewhere is closed is bad for business in a tough game, so maybe check first.
claned

So to go back to my original question, looks like an issue with rent not being paid on the sign or something else...sign still looks terrible..
hmsBeagle

btw, posts stating somewhere is closed is bad for business in a tough game, so maybe check first.
That's on me, apologies. Not sure how my source had it so wrong to be honest. I should have confirmed before posting.

Claned, you are right, issue with rent not being paid for sign.*

*from same source as above so... :?
Pedro

I'd rather look at the hotel pics than what replaced them last night!!
diggerbarnes

What replaced them?
Pedro

Election mug shots.
diggerbarnes

oh god
bear

diggerbarnes wrote:What replaced them?
Election posters.I wonder are they paying for the use of it ?. Anyway its now looks awful.
Pedro

They must be more lucrative than the hotel :?