Sky Broadband

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
village

Hi
Has anyone had any problems getting Sky Broadband installed?
I ordered it last week the hub arrived and had a set up date of 13/1/2014.
After trying several times up till midnight i called Sky the following day.
The girl i spoke to told me this was an estimated time for connection despite the fact when i placed the order i was informed i would be connected on this date she said i would be live by 15/1/ 2013.
So i left it until this morning and still not working i called again and was told that they cant give me a date and that its Eircoms fault and that if its not working in 3-5 working days somebody from Sky will contact me which makes me wonder does he actually know i will still be waiting in 3-5 working days?
I know it says it can take 10 days etc but i was told i would be live on 13/1/14 for sure.
There is a cooling off period of a mth if i ever get connected we have Sky tv so i thought it was the best option.
Also if anyone has Sky Broadband how do they find it?
micropoodle

no experience with Sky broadband but had terrible experience with their TV customer support in the past.

there is truth in the fact that these broadband providers rely on eircom to connect individual customers and as such they are at the mercy of them. However I absolutely hate it when Sales guys promise a date simply to get the sale and then its not delivered.

Personally what I do in these situations is cancel and move on to another provider.
If enough people do this sort of thing then if it's Sky's fault they will be more inclined to rectify it and if it's Eircoms fault, Sky will be more inclined to put pressure on Eircom.

Lots of competition out there
pat mustard

I'm on sky, moved from vodafone back in the Summer. It suited us as its in the overall tv etc package. no issues along the way, i had an issue with a cancelled multiroom ,i waited 20 mins for a rep, (msg said 30) but it was on a Friday night peak time, but when connected, they were great (and im a whingy fukkr.)

Sky broadband setup was all done on time as promised.

You wont get more than 16mb though, I'm just waiting on them rolling out a fibre deal, (imagine they are waiting on Eircom to assist). I rang them and asked them why the delay, got some speil about them trying to build u pa customer base b4 doing it. I mentioned they'd prob be losing people if they dont roll it out soon.

tbh, they should be doing it by now, prob lowest speed provider in Donabate. Cant get UPC where I live in Somerton, wont touch Eircom (bad bad blood there). Ill hang out for another 6 months before getting itchy feet.

Blokes I know in tallaght and monkstown are on UPC Horizon, getting close to 200mb wired and 90mb on wifi, lordy lordy lordy.

here - Eircom claim theyll give you 50mb, but few people are getting more than 30.

Cmon Leinster!

:)
village

well still waiting the dedicated team are suppose to be sorting it.They said the land line would go for 20 mins its now been 20 hrs!! Looks like eircom have cut me off and done nothing else. :x
Sjby

I got a sales call from eircom today and was bored so happily stayed on the line and I am looking around at my options. We're in the links, fibre is not here though they said their download is 17 mb. Not prepared to move to eircom. Was talking with upc last week about their bundles, their current offers that we see on tv does not apply to us in the links. 30 mb download (200mb advertised) we can't get horizon (record 4 programs at once, can record one and watch another, same as sky) there is a connection fee of €125 (tv ad says free connection). You do get first 6 months at €35. Overall, I'd save compared to my current package with extra channels, I'm with sky currently. Now, here's the thing, from previous experience with ntl now upc, their customer service was always crap, and after talking with a upc sales rep last week I said I'd think about it and I was strongly considering making the switch, he asked would I like a callback and I agreed on a day they could call me, the crazy thing is that day is over a week ago and haven't got the callback, go figure.
topsyturvey

I'm in Beverton...with UPC... called them today to avail of the new deals...200mb and all that.

They told me my connection is not the specification required for the 200mb Horizon deal...that the best they could offer me was 30mb.

They are charging me the same price as the 120mb deal (€44) and to get to the 200mb deal it's an €8 uplift.

I pointed out to them that there was no package on their website for those of us who are not worth the investment in terms of enhancing their cable specifications to offer the new speeds - the agent I spoke to agreed that this was true - I asked them that given the value the increase in speed from 120mb to 200mb at €8, what was the credit for a decrease from €120 to €8 - given that they are not spending the money on the investment they need even to get us up to the 120mb and at this point I lost him and his supervisor.

I took the €44 package with the 30mb but asked for someone who knows the answer to the above question - why are we paying for a service that has not had the investment that other customers have and that does not deliver what they are getting and he promised to ask someone who knows the answer to respond.

I'll chase this up and let you know what I hear. I think this is an issue that we should be using our buying power as a community as well as our politicians to resolve.

I'd be grateful for any other contributions on this issue as I am not going to let it rest until I get a response from someone who does make such decisions.
Diego

UPC will do deals for existing customers if they ring to cancel. I got broadband and phone half price for 12 months on a 12 month contract.
Sky will also do deals for television customers who ring to cancel. Don't know about sky phone and broadband.
topsyturvey

Thanks Diego...will have to try harder for a discount
Jabba

I live in Beverton as well and I went with Sky, but the problem appears to be the phone line as they keep having to downgrade the speed on the line as the existing phone line cant take the broadband speeds that they supply. We are currently at 6mbps according to speedtests on our mobile devices and even at that speed the broadband keeps on dropping every so often and we have to reboot.
We have been onto them several times and they are very nice/helpful but they say they cant do anything until the line is upgraded.

Just to give you some advice if you are thinking of moving to SKY !
topsyturvey

Diego...I got a deal - they gave me a discount on the 120mbps package. Had to make 4 phone calls and contact comreg to get to the person who makes the decision - the bottom line is if you are not in the main customer base, you don't matter to them - they tell me they have no plans to roll out the 120mbps service to Donabate.

They have given me a 30 mbps package - these are the speeds I just got when I checked it :

Last Result:
Download Speed: 10309 kbps (1288.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3138 kbps (392.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 10 ms
Jitter: 1 ms
02 April 2014 22:46:41

Thanks for your post Jabba... have considered Sky but they are too evasive for me when I try to get them to commit to download speeds....
topsyturvey

Put a call into Vodafone to ask them to check my broadband speed if I was to go with them...got a call there to say that they can sort me out but they need to reconnect the Eircom line which has been disconnected for some reason...I said ok but do I have to pay for the line...they said no it will be covered by your 12 month contract rate...I said that I don't want to enter into a contract until you can tell me the speed of the connection...they said I have to sign up to a 12 month contract to find out.. but that it will be less than 24 mbps....the girl got a bit shirty when I asked her did she not see the dilemma she was putting me in and I told her I couldn't sign up without having the speed check done.
Spider

We switched to Sky recently after experiencing appalling service from Vodafone. Our connection was literally breaking about 25 times a day. We found Sky very helpful, the engineer was out bang on time. We were told we would get about 16mpbs by Sky but we are only getting 6-8 at the moment. However, the connection is not breaking down like it was with Vodafone so I am happier with the service. Internet connection overall in Donabate seems to be pretty poor although some of my neighbours are getting much speedier connections with the same package as we have.
Ken
Site Admin

I got Eircom's eFibre about 8 months ago. I can't complain as the service has been top notch. I'm getting 36Mb download and 10Mb upload constantly.

I also found DSL to be patchy. If you go for too high a speed it will be unstable. I think 6-8 Mb for DSL is the sweet spot for a lot of Donabate.
Regards,

Ken.
topsyturvey

Last Result:
Download Speed: 30245 kbps (3780.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3127 kbps (390.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 10 ms
Jitter: 2 ms
03 April 2014 19:43:10

Just checked my speed since UPC put me on the new deal...30mbps as above....they say that's the best they can provide in Beverton at least...where they have upgraded the network, which is most other places in Dublin, they are offering up to 200mbps !