Child Minder Rates

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
jollymorgan

Can someone tell me what the average daily rate is for a childminder in the area? Thanks a mil!
SMcG

Hi Jollymorgan,
Average rate is normally between €30 to €40. I pay our childminder €35 a day!
jollymorgan

Thank you, I thought it was about that!!
Freckles

I certainly wouldn't leave my children with someone willing to work a full day for €30 and neither would I expect them too. I think childcare workers are so under paid and don't know how anybody could feel ok about paying them such a poor wage especially when it's such a hard job. I think what you pay should depend on how much experience the person has and what they plan on doing with the child. And really feel that the anyone taking on someone else's children for that wage couldn't possibly be happy with the circumstances unless they are literally not doing anything with the child.
jollymorgan

Hi Freckles,

A childminder is being paid €30-€40 per child per day so if she is minding 3-4 children she could be earning a decent enough sum. Also you have to bear in mind that a mother working may be paid minimum wage and is also being taxed on that. I do think that childcare workers within the crèche industry are exploited but a childminder is different as she can set her own terms. Also I do agree it depends on experience as to how much the childminder is paid. I'm sure if the childminder was coming to your own home they would be paid more money as they could not take on any more children.

So in summary I think the sum of €30-€40 a day for a child is a reasonable amount for a childminder to mind a child in her own home.
SMcG

@ Freckles,
Do I think €35 a day is fare, honestly NO! If I could afford more I would pay every penny I have to have my child cared for in the best possible way.
Can I afford creche fees of up to €1150 a month, NO!
Obviously I'd love to not work and spend all my time caring for and bringing up my child but then the mortgage doesn't get paid, house gets repossessed and I get to bring my child up on benefits!

To claim that the childminder couldn't possibly be happy with the circumstances unless they are literally not doing anything with the child is very unfare! If they were so unhappy with it why do it!!! I can't speak for everyone but my little fella gets so much love and attention with his childminder I really couldn't think of a better 'home' for him to be in if he can't be in ours!

Unfortunately it boils down to peoples circumstances, but in all honestly it's not like people are out looking for the cheapest person out there to mind their children!!!