Land Development

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
micropoodle

let's say that in some magical alternative universe where another building boom happens and these 4000 units get built.....

no matter what is put into the lap, no matter what pre-requesites are in place, we will not have a ring road in place before the first occupiers move into the first new estate. that's a given. based on track record. if government, planners, local authority's past records are anything to go by then the infrastructure won't be in place.

given all of that. Is there provision in the Lap for:

1. the extra trains that will be required from donabate throughout the day. 4000 units, conservative estimate would equal an additional 12,000 people. this will approximately triple the population and so in theory we will need 3 times as much train capacity. (though i'm sure there's some proper algorithm for that!). Even if that is in the Lap, will Irish Rail be compelled to have the additional capacity in place before people start to move in? Obviously it's a rhetorical question as the answer is of course NO.
On this alone, the Lap shouldn't be approved.

2. Is there provision in the Lap for an extra road to join onto the M1 motorway to cater for the population tripling? 8.30 in the morning trying to get onto the M1 from the Hearse Road is horrible.

3. is there provision in the Lap for increased capacity on the M1 from the port tunnel all the way up dorset street? With current traffic, there is often a drive of 30 minutes from port tunnel entrance to Swords Rd/Collins avenue junction. with the additional 12,000 people in Donabate and the probable Swords/Rush/Lusk Laps etc, (conservatively speaking the total population increase will be 50,000), that road will surely grind to even more of a halt.

4. is there provision in the Lap for a direct bus route to town to cater for the tripling in population?

5. is there provision in the Lap for public amenities to be in place before the houses are built/occupied? Things like swimming pool/tennis courts etc should be a given and not simply optional. Failure to cater for a population will inevitably result in anti-social behaviour leading to crime etc.

I could go on (and I did go on, albeit a little more elequently in an e-mail to FCC).

I know the answer to most/all of the above is no and they will simply plough ahead and build houses without any/all the necessary infrastructure.

Awful thing is we will look back in 10 years time when this place is a sh1th0le and find a thread like this on a discussion forum and wonder what went wrong!

ps: in case anyone is wondering, I was in the UK and couldn't attend the meeting, hence the e-mail I sent them
Mr. Stupid

Can anyone think of one good example of good planning in Ireland from the last 50 year?

Listen Fingal CC can't even organise someone to cut the grass, who in their right mind would think they could organise planning.
diggerbarnes

I suppose the ninety odd percent of us lucky enough to be living in this great area wouldn't be living here at all if our homes hadn't been built. Here. I'm not an apologist for planners but the analysis seems just a tad OTT.
Ken
Site Admin

diggerbarnes wrote:I suppose the ninety odd percent of us lucky enough to be living in this great area wouldn't be living here at all if our homes hadn't been built. Here. I'm not an apologist for planners but the analysis seems just a tad OTT.
That's true, but it doesn't excuse more than doubling the population without putting at least minimal infrastructure in place.

As it is, the railway bridge (how many accidents have their been there?) and the slip road (which is a major bottleneck at peak times) are issues that need to be addressed.
Regards,

Ken.
Mr. Stupid

The beauty of Donabate is thanks to God. The sea, the beach and the birds. Or just nature if that's not your thing Dawkins. The park is due to an English aristocrat.

The small back gardens in some estates, lack of kick about areas lack of parking on some estates, lack of trees, lack of local business, lack of some sports facilities, lack of footpaths in key areas is all Fingal CC's fault.

In addition, probably not a PC thing to say but Donabate takes way more HSE than other areas.
diggerbarnes

I'm just trying to offer a bit of balance. For example, Newbridge park, far from being the result of some English Aristocrat, must be one of Fingal CC's greatest successes. It's a fantastic resource that people travel from far and wide to use. And it's on our doorstep.
My toilet has never backed up, the street lights work, the library is going to be great and the new schools are to die for.
micropoodle

The point though diggerbarnes is that FCC are looking to at least triple the population of Donabate.

All the things that you now take for granted ad the lifestyle you enjoy will be a thing if the past if indeed the new population if donabate shoots up from 7000 to 23000. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that proper infrastructure will be in place to cater for that increase. That's a given due to past record.

We barely for example have enough train capacity at peak hour at the moment. I don't even think train capacity has even been mentioned in all the Laps for all the areas along our train line.
That's just one if a hundred different things that need to be taken into consideration
diggerbarnes

I get the point and share the concerns. But I think some people have massive chips on their shoulders about planning and planners. It smacks of nimbyism and their antagonism will be met with deaf ears.
I certainly don't take anything for granted and hope any development is carried out correctly.
Mr. Stupid

I don't think anyone has a chip on their shoulder. Look at the track record, Fingal CC are dreadful.
The best parts of Donabate have nothing to do with Fingal, the bad parts for example the lack of a footpath from Beverton (an estate with about 300 houses) is Fingal's fault. The parking problems are their fault. Move over to Swords. Hollywell / Boroimhe their fault. I could go on but don't want to offend people who live in some badly planned areas.
diggerbarnes

"Can anyone think of one good example of good planning in Ireland from the last 50 year?

Listen Fingal CC can't even organise someone to cut the grass, who in their right mind would think they could organise planning."
Vlad the Impaler

Lovely looking houses. Anyone know how much they are going for?
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

First one looks occupied already, although maybe it's a show house?
Vlad the Impaler

Looked like not quite finished, but sort of alright,