Child approached in The Links

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Miley

A warning to everybody that a child was approached in The Links at 6:55 pm this evening. There were 2 men in a blue/grey van, one with a beard. There was a ladder on top of the van. The child was told to get into the car. Luckily he had the good sense to run & is okay. Guards have been notified.
Mr. Stupid

Here is an idea. Why not have some sort of CCTV for the Hearse road and the Turvey road and then we would have every reg for every car that enters the peninsula.
Derek

Good stuff re the Gardai being notified straight away - it's very important that they are notified immediately for obvious reasosn. The Community Guard has told me before their biggest concern is hearing anecodotes of issues like this but nothing is actually reported to them. Sometimes in the heat of the moment when everyone is naturally frightened by the occurence of an incident like this, they forget to report it to the police.

I hope the young lad and his family are ok. All credit to the young man for showing great presence of mind. He's a real hero!
Bawner

My car got damaged parked near the church one day (vandalised).

When reported to the guards, they mentioned they might try and look at CCTV from Supervalu (but no joy)Might be worth looking at here as if it was the Links, they had to pass the main street.

They ought to check all CCTV in the area as this is too serious.

Wasn't there a similar incident a few years ago?
Ken
Site Admin

You would like to think the Guards thought of checking the CCTV of local businesses.
Regards,

Ken.
Vlad the Impaler

I would hope the parents of the child or the local community group would ask for an update from the guards into the investigation.

You would at least expect SuperValue/local shops footage to be examined.

Too often in this country it is a reaction when something serious happens rather than pro-active prevention.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

The problem with a lot of that CCTV is that it's not high enough quality to pick up a license plate unless it's pretty close to the camera :/
Derek

Bill_Lumbergh wrote:The problem with a lot of that CCTV is that it's not high enough quality to pick up a license plate unless it's pretty close to the camera :/
Good point that. My car was done in the train station car park years ago and the quality of the footage was worse than useless. A head could be seen at trying to break in but he just appeared as a blob of fuzz. :roll:
Mr. Stupid

Bill_Lumbergh wrote:The problem with a lot of that CCTV is that it's not high enough quality to pick up a license plate unless it's pretty close to the camera :/
They are pretty good at detecting numbers plates crossing the M50 toll :)
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Mr. Stupid wrote:
They are pretty good at detecting numbers plates crossing the M50 toll :)
:) They must be HD!