Car Theft in Carrs Mill & Somerton

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

I got a brick through my front door glass at 2am and by the time I got down the stairs, my car was gone :( My keys were hanging up inside the door so they grabbed them without having to enter the house.

Cops said they were out an hour earlier to a house in Somerton where the keys were taken off the kitchen table. I don't know which is worse, at least with the keys by the door they didn't have to enter the house.

Watch out folks!
Ken
Site Admin

That's terrible. I always believe it's best to leave car keys down stairs. Last thing you want is them coming up stairs.
Regards,

Ken.
diggerbarnes

Clever effers, sorry to hear about that. I wonder would it be a good idea to leave a dummy set by the front door. Once they discover they dont fit the car they might leg it after all the noise and disturbance.
So how do they know? Could they see through your glass or letter box? Did anyone bogus call to your house to check it out lately?
jack white

That's not the first time it's happened in Somerton. On a previous occasion it was an expensive car so most likely it was a gang stealing to order.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

diggerbarnes wrote:Clever effers, sorry to hear about that. I wonder would it be a good idea to leave a dummy set by the front door. Once they discover they dont fit the car they might leg it after all the noise and disturbance.
So how do they know? Could they see through your glass or letter box? Did anyone bogus call to your house to check it out lately?
That's a great idea (RE the dummy keys). The cops asked me the same questions, all I know is the car is gone :/
Carrie

Hi can I ask which part of carrs mill this was. I'm behind sommerton and our alarm went off last night around 1.30am, dogs going crazy all night wonder was there someone around?
Sorry to hear about your break in
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Carrie wrote:Hi can I ask which part of carrs mill this was. I'm behind sommerton and our alarm went off last night around 1.30am, dogs going crazy all night wonder was there someone around?
Sorry to hear about your break in
Where Carrs Mill meets Somerton. Your timeline would match when the house in Somerton was broken into. If the keys were taken from the kitchen then they could have went in through the back. Time for barbed wire on the walls!
Ken
Site Admin

Did you get the door glass sorted?
Regards,

Ken.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Yeah thanks, used http://fingalglasscentre.ie/ (had called them before I got any replies here)
pat mustard

sorry to hear that.

maybe wire the keys up to the mains.sizzle the fkkrs.
CaseyE

Hi,
I was out in town on saturday night, i took the 2am nitelink which dropped me at the top of enterance to carrs mill @2.50am.
I live in the cul de sac and as i walked in there were two people walking in and out of driveways. As i didn't arrive by taxi they didnt spot me for a few minutes so i just watched them. Once they spotted me they put the heads down and started walking quickly out of the estate....

I reported this to swords garda staion on sunday who were very helpful
Last edited by CaseyE on 19 Sep 2013, 11:35, edited 4 times in total.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Thanks for the info CaseyE. I'll be riddling my house with HD CCTV in the next few days so if this happens again on my road, I'll be notified in real time and will have footage I can pass on.

I spoke to a member of the community council this morning who is going to raise this all in the next meeting. We might not get a cop shop out here but we should at least get some more patrols.
CaseyE

Agree with you.
I think we will be reviewing our own security arrangements going forward after witnessing that on saturday night.....
Frustrating, because its a good place to live, good neighbours etc
Best of luck on the Car situation
micropoodle

this makes my blood boil.

if what the previous poster said is true and the description is accurate, then many of us know the people involved.

notice how all the alleged antisocial behaviour and alleged thefts in Donabate lately appears to be coming from the same residential complex? I've sent an e-mail to the 'owners' of said complex outlining my disgust at what I have personally witnessed on 2 occasions from their residents. I don't expect any sort of reply as burying head into sand appears to be the norm.

I wonder if the guards will act on the information you provided them.
To have 2 specific suspects acting suspiciously at 2.30am in an estate where a car was robbed at around the same time surely is grounds for arrest and questioning at the very least?

the people that carry out these types of crimes, along with the recent mugging and general violent fighting in and around the main street are pure scum. plain and simple.

we need to come together as a community (in a completely non-violent manner) and address this massive issue. We need to shout from the rooftops to the powers that be, before this gets much much worse. And mark my words, if we dont do something, it will get worse.
CaseyE

Hi,
Totally agree with all your points as a homeowner in the area.
They said they had someone in the area that would look into it but I've not heard anymore.
Last edited by CaseyE on 19 Sep 2013, 09:05, edited 2 times in total.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

micropoodle wrote: I wonder if the guards will act on the information you provided them.
To have 2 specific suspects acting suspiciously at 2.30am in an estate where a car was robbed at around the same time surely is grounds for arrest and questioning at the very least?
Note the cars were nicked 24 hours later. But yeah, some coincidence!!
CaseyE wrote: They said they had someone in the area that would look into it but I've not heard anymore.
I just saw a cop car in Carrs Mill call into a few houses. Might be following up, they were gone by the time I got down the stairs :/
Gccrowley

Hi All, I have just been notified from a previous customer of mine who is a long term resident in Donabate about these breakin's and other unsociable behaviour in the local area and would just like to offer my services to anybody who would find them usefull. We are a fully registered and licenced alarm/CCTV installation company and have already completed some work in the area as well as some high profile retail units all over Dublin,If you would like us to come to you for a free no obligation survey/quote just give me a quick mail at glen_gc@live.ie and I will give you a call, also there is no problem Having a look at our work as I have been on to previous customers in the area and they have no problem letting people see our installations. All CCTV systems can be viewed over the internet and from nearly all smartphones once you have a internet connection....also as qualified electricians we can install security flood lighting which will switch on if your alarm is activated, depending on what system you have installed.
Anyway , please don't hesitate to contact me by mail or reply to post and I will contact you back as soon as I can.

Regard's
Glen
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Gccrowley wrote:Hi All, I have just been notified from a previous customer of mine who is a long term resident in Donabate about these breakin's and other unsociable behaviour in the local area and would just like to offer my services to anybody who would find them usefull. We are a fully registered and licenced alarm/CCTV installation company and have already completed some work in the area as well as some high profile retail units all over Dublin,If you would like us to come to you for a free no obligation survey/quote just give me a quick mail at glen_gc@live.ie and I will give you a call, also there is no problem Having a look at our work as I have been on to previous customers in the area and they have no problem letting people see our installations. All CCTV systems can be viewed over the internet and from nearly all smartphones once you have a internet connection....also as qualified electricians we can install security flood lighting which will switch on if your alarm is activated, depending on what system you have installed.
Anyway , please don't hesitate to contact me by mail or reply to post and I will contact you back as soon as I can.

Regard's
Glen
Hi Glen,

I presume you use IP cameras then? Do you have a website with pricing info? What makes / models do you use? How to do you handle running cables inside existing walls?

Cheers!
Gccrowley

Hi, we can use IP camera's if requested but mainly what we do is use a standalone DVR with internal hard drive which is connected to your internal network , we find this the most common and cost effective way for domestic installations.All our products come directly from Well known IRISH suppliers and we can get any brand if requested. Obviously the price reflects the desired brand and you can pay anywhere from €80 to a couple of grand for one camera. Our most common domestic systems come in a 4 or 8 channel system and where it is possible we will always hide cables , we try to never leave anything on the surface....our base system starts from appx €1500+Vat.... That's a 4 channel , 6-700 TVL ,night vision camera's, supplied and fit with free setup on computers, iPhones , iPads ,android phones....
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

OK, thanks. I'm installing IP cams (HD external cams start around 170) powered off a POE switch (90), connected to a computer I have always on that will record on motion and notify me via email (free). Android and iphone apps can be configured to view these feeds using a free DDNS service so all in I'm looking south of 500 (granted I have 100m of cat6 and the rj45 connectors / crimper already myself).
Derek

Bill_Lumbergh wrote:granted I have 100m of cat6 and the rj45 connectors / crimper already myself
Carefull...boasting that you have that and someone might call to nick that too :lol:
Gccrowley

That's sound good. You obviously have an idea of what your doing , but for others who don't want computers running 24/7 and a very user friendly interface , and to be able to view all cameras on there tv's also our systems are one of the easiest to view and use... Your setup does sound good though...,
Sky2013

Just wanted to let readers know that there was a break in at The Spires yesterday between 8am - 2pm. Hopefully the police got finger prints and the culprits are caught.
holdmycalls

CaseyE you say these two "obvious junkies" are the local baddies because they happened to be walking in your estate at 2.50am one night?! Sure I'm jack the ripper then. I don't think that kind of small-minded "they're dodgy looking" mentality is going to catch you any real criminals.
micropoodle

holdmycalls wrote:CaseyE you say these two "obvious junkies" are the local baddies because they happened to be walking in your estate at 2.50am one night?! Sure I'm jack the ripper then. I don't think that kind of small-minded "they're dodgy looking" mentality is going to catch you any real criminals.
Do you honestly think its normal for 2 people, junkies or not, to be wandering in and out of driveways at 2.30 in the morning? I'm sure if you spoke to the guards you will find that the people in question have several criminal convictions between them.