ipads for schools

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
diggerbarnes

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/edu ... 46495.html

Seems to be a wide-spread problem. Perhaps the new principal will shake things up a bit and give parents a break.
Pedro

I am extremely irritated with Wriggle, in "configuring" the ipad last month, they deleted everything that had been purchased from itunes.
From the outset, the school literature claimed "owned" ipads could be used and a school ID would be set up, this clearly wasn't the case.
I really dislike this iniative and would much prefer the tried, trusted and more economical route... books!

Rant over!
Vlad the Impaler

The Irish Indo article mentioned above (and linked below) shows that the Apple product is being recommended out of pure ignorance of other technology soloutions.

My children are not that old yet, but I would be furious as a parent at having to fork out that amount of money just because educators haven't fully informed themselves of the alternatives.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/edu ... 46495.html
Spider

We've paid the guts of €800 for the iPad with the books. Snap!! I spent more as I bought a bigger GB ipad so my daughter could also used it - not a chance, giggle removed everything that was on it!!

When they went in for the induction day the books were not even downloaded and had to be done at home. I hit the roof to put it mildly .... had to download them over a few nights and as for the work books send home in the giggle bag.... how much did they cost us!!!!!

We have spent well over another €200 on extra books, copies, hard backs, calculators etc that are not included on the iPad not counting books that we have yet to get. Likewise, junior arrived home last Thurs with a list as long as your arm for a ridiculous number of hard back A4 copies, standard copies, calculator, pencils etc.

The young fella has hardly used the iPad at all with the exception of Maths. Again, snap, my lad has used it for nothing other than maths!

In fact the only thing which has given me a lift is refusing to pay the blazer rental to the rip off merchants in Manor Street - a hollow victory considering the expense to date. Junior will not be doing TY - no way, no how!
blowin1

Spider.....has your child that is in TY heard the 'gossip' and I stress the word 'gossip' that they will be the next year to be getting IPad's for when they go into 5th year next August ?
Spider

No but I will ask her about it. Bloody hell, that's all we need....
blowin1

Thanks Spider - mine has heard the 'gossip' and I'm not a happy bunny tonight :lol:
Spider

Well I asked my daughter and she hasn't heard anything about iPads for fifth year. Phew
Bawner

Don't know much on this but I did read a couple of weeks ago that downloaded schoolbooks only have a licence of 2-3 years (junior/LC cycle) after which they expire and can no longer be accessed.

Is this the situation here?
Spider

Yes I think that is true Bawner.
Whitelight

A couple of weeks in and how are the kids doing with the Ipads? My kid starts next year and was wondering what the consenus is from parents and students? Hearing rumours that total cost is around €900 - is this true?
Pedro

Whitelight wrote:A couple of weeks in and how are the kids doing with the Ipads? My kid starts next year and was wondering what the consenus is from parents and students? Hearing rumours that total cost is around €900 - is this true?
All I will say is.... bring back the books. The ipad route has hit hard financially and due to the way they are configured by wriggle, there is very limited use for them outside of school work or for use by other family members. €709 for ipad (bought for use between two kids, can only be used by one), over 300 paid to wriggle and still had other classroom materials to buy. If I knew then..... we would not have considered DCC.
Ann O
Site Admin

How have people been finding using the iPads at DCC ?

I see a school in Laois had a less than favourable experience with a HP tablet.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/edu ... 67084.html
Mr. Stupid

Hold on a sec - what system is in place for parents who can't afford an iPad?
And how to they determine if you can't afford it? Negative equity? Both parents on the dole? One on the dole? What?
salokindoc

I read an article in Scientific American recently

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ts-screens

Research shows that book reading against e-reading is much more beneficial for the student. As someone who is quite techie and a user of Macs, I really don't like the idea of iPads in schools. They are not necessary.

Also Mac control the content in the app store. What do Mac know about education? I personally think Mac are seeking to monopolise the education market and publishers are now being forced to write for OSX more so than other platforms.

I don't have kids (yet) but I am not looking forward to this type of issue.
Sydney

I went to Parents Association AGM last week and asked Mr Creevey about iPads for TY.

He told us that iPads will not be brought in for anyone above the current first years. I asked was there any way to download the books electronically on student's own device - no was the answer only if medical needs exist.
blowin1

Thanks for that Sydney - was working last wednesday night so I didnt get down to the AGM, I have to say I am thrilled that my 3 wont be getting the Ipad's ! did I miss anything else at the AGM ?
micropoodle

does that mean that only the current first years will be using the iPads?

future 1st years won't have to buy them?
Mr. Stupid

Hate to say but this is what this sounds like a technology scam. If we want to get the kids good at technology - set up a decent code dojo in the school. It doesn't cost much at all because it is usually all volunteers. The Apple Scam - just seems like a massive cost with very little benefit.
Pedro

Mr. Stupid wrote:Hate to say but this is what this sounds like a technology scam. If we want to get the kids good at technology - set up a decent code dojo in the school. It doesn't cost much at all because it is usually all volunteers. The Apple Scam - just seems like a massive cost with very little benefit.
I agree with you. My son is a first year and I can safely say, at this stage of the year, there has been absolutely no singular benefit of him having an ipad. Any table device could have been selected by the school and as for Wriggle - they leave a lot to be desired. Actual books are required - the reasoning behind this idea simply doesn't stack up for me!
Sydney

micropoodle wrote:does that mean that only the current first years will be using the iPads?

future 1st years won't have to buy them?
Nope, future 1st years will have them. The school seem very pleased with the iPads and the kids progress. They got some kids to show apps that they've been using for music, art, irish and ICT.
I got the impression that it wasn't just the iPad they liked but the instant access to technology and the fact that with a tablet, the learning didn't have to end the lesson did.