Forum Charter

Suggestions for improving the site such as adding new forums
Ken
Site Admin

Hi,

Below is the suggested forum charter. We want to keep it a short and sweet. Let us now what you think.

•Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
•Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning or ban depending on the severity of the infringement.
•Members should be mindful that this board is aimed at a general audience. Posting offensive text, images, links, etc. will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning/ban.
•Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". Users should not SHOUT or use text speak!
•Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstances. The post will be deleted and the user banned immediately.
•The moderators reserve the right to edit, remove or put on moderation queue any post at any time.
•The above forum rules where applicable also apply to private messaging. Abuse of the private messaging system may lead to sanctions (as above) and/or the revocation of private messaging.
•Users are permitted to utilise a gallery avatar or to link to one of their own. User defined avatars are to be no larger than 120 pixels square, Avatars are subject to the same conditions as posts with respect decency, etc.
Regards,

Ken.
Derek

That's a great start Ken. Most of the angles are covered.

One suggestion I have is that it should be made abundantly clear that anyone posting is fully responsible for the content of their post, and if they post something which is libellous or defamatory then they are legally responsible for this and not the moderators.
Mr. Stupid

Ken wrote:Hi,

Below is the suggested forum charter. We want to keep it a short and sweet. Let us now what you think.

•Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
•Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning or ban depending on the severity of the infringement.
•Members should be mindful that this board is aimed at a general audience. Posting offensive text, images, links, etc. will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning/ban.
•Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". Users should not SHOUT or use text speak!
•Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstances. The post will be deleted and the user banned immediately.
•The moderators reserve the right to edit, remove or put on moderation queue any post at any time.
•The above forum rules where applicable also apply to private messaging. Abuse of the private messaging system may lead to sanctions (as above) and/or the revocation of private messaging.
•Users are permitted to utilise a gallery avatar or to link to one of their own. User defined avatars are to be no larger than 120 pixels square, Avatars are subject to the same conditions as posts with respect decency, etc.
Suggestions:
* Minors should only use this site with the an adult / parent / guardian
* Attack the post not the poster (Ken you could add this line to one of rules already)
* If you a critising a local business, try to be very fair. Did you complain to the people in the shop before posting online?
* This is an anonymous forum. It is up to individual posters if they want to identify themselves. Do not try to identify posters
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Time to resurrect and publish this I think. Current version (including suggestions made in this thread - thx folks) is here;
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s6_ ... JFwWM/edit
JohnPaulTheTenth

Almost all of that is fair, except, I think, this...

If you a criticising a local business, try to be very fair. Did you complain to the people in the shop before posting online?

If I have an valid opinion on something, I'd like to be able to express it.

For example - if I have a meal in a restaurant and I feel it is not particularly of high quality, or service is underwhelming, I may not feel that this is a situation where I necessarily would go to the owner to express this, as it is not an 'incident', it's just poor standards.

Then, if somebody asks for a recommendation, on this forum for example, I'm not allowed express my opinion?

But if I have a good experience, it's OK to go ahead?
Last edited by JohnPaulTheTenth on 25 Jun 2013, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
Yours Sincerely, JPX
JohnPaulTheTenth

PS - if this is to stay in place, I'll have to respect it, as per charter.

But it makes any conversation about any business in the area unreliable as only positive reviews are allowed, unless this insistence of identifying myself to the owner before posting to the contrary.

Forced bias, to be honest.
Yours Sincerely, JPX
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

I agree with what you're saying and forced bias is not what we want to see. Another option is to take the hard line and charter against posting about any businesses good or bad.
Ken
Site Admin

I think we have to look at it case by case. I'm always dubious of someone who registers on a forum just to complain about a business. We saw this on the other forum a few time and I know questions were asked about the motives of the poster.

If an established member posts constructive criticism regarding a business, then I would be ok with it. I'm not sure we need to add anything specific in the charter.
Regards,

Ken.
JohnPaulTheTenth

Ken wrote:I think we have to look at it case by case. I'm always dubious of someone who registers on a forum just to complain about a business. We saw this on the other forum a few time and I know questions were asked about the motives of the poster.

If an established member posts constructive criticism regarding a business, then I would be ok with it. I'm not sure we need to add anything specific in the charter.
Fine by me. A spammer is obvious enough. Ta.
Yours Sincerely, JPX
Ken
Site Admin

Here's what I suggest. I've added a point about trolling and not trying to publically identify posters. I've also added one about what can and can't be advertised for sale.

To respond to a couple of suggestions:

I don't think we can add that everybody is legally responsible for what they post. I think as the forum owner (in that it's under my name), it's up to me and the other admin/moderators to judge what's suitable and what isn't and remove as applicable. From what I've seen from other forums, the forum owner is potentially legally responsible. We can't hold users of the forum responsible as they are largely anonymous.

Minors should only use the forum under the supervision of an adult - see where you're going, but don't see how we could enforce it.
  • -Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
    - Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning or ban depending on the severity of the infringement. Attack the post, not the poster.
    - Members should be mindful that this board is aimed at a general audience. Posting offensive text, images, links, etc. will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning/ban.
    - Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". Users should not SHOUT or use text speak!
    - Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstances. The post will be deleted and the user banned immediately.
    - Trolling will not be tolerated. A troll is defined a person who promotes discord on the forum by trying to start arguments and upset people usually by voicing outrageous opinions.
    - The moderators reserve the right to edit, remove or put on moderation queue any post at any time.
    - The above forum rules where applicable also apply to private messaging. Abuse of the private messaging system may lead to sanctions (as above) and/or the revocation of private messaging.
    - Users have the option to be anonymous on the forum, i.e. use a pseudonym. If a user makes this choice, it is against the rules to publically try and identify them.
    - Users are permitted to utilise a gallery avatar or to link to one of their own. User defined avatars are to be no larger than 120 pixels square, Avatars are subject to the same conditions as posts with respect decency, etc.
    - Only goods and services that are legal in the real world can be advertised on the forum. Alcohol or tobacco products cannot be bought or sold on the forum.
Regards,

Ken.
JohnPaulTheTenth

Thanks Ken. The work is appreciated.
Yours Sincerely, JPX
Ken
Site Admin

Since we all seem to be pretty much agreed, I've posted the charter as a sticky.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Regards,

Ken.