Donabate CC Boys Uniform

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Pedro

Just in the process of pulling all the coppers together to buy the uniform for September!!

I called Grants, the uniform shop and was advised the boys trousers have a red pin stripe (???)

Have any of you bought plain grey trousers from another outlet other than Grants such as Dunnes or M & S?

I think it's an absolute disgrace that the school tracksuit costs €96 for a top, bottoms and polo shirt, it's all money, money, money :cry:
diggerbarnes

It's disgusting. They are there for an education, not a fashion show. Or to line some insiders pockets. Pity it's not an educate together secondary school.
Pedro

diggerbarnes wrote:It's disgusting. They are there for an education, not a fashion show. Or to line some insiders pockets. Pity it's not an educate together secondary school.
My lad has been in the ET so all this uniform & Ipad business is burning a serious hole in my pocket!! He wanted to go to Donabte CC as all his pals except one are going there so other options were never really considered. Must admit, I will really miss the ET ethos.
Mr. Stupid

The ET parents should lobby for an ET secondary school. There seems a big demand. They won't wear uniforms in college but the bubble might finally burst when they have to iron a shirt for their wedding!
Pedro

Alas, Blanch, Lucan and Drogheda appear to be on the 2014 list for secondary schools, think it could be quite a while before there's one in this neck of the woods :(
Wobbles

Pedro, the school trousers are navy with a red pinstripe and alas you have to get them from grants, also you have to pay an extra €20 for the hire of the school blazer,so if there's say 100 students starting in sept. thats €2000 grants are getting, its a rip off
Pedro

Wobbles wrote:Pedro, the school trousers are navy with a red pinstripe and alas you have to get them from grants, also you have to pay an extra €20 for the hire of the school blazer,so if there's say 100 students starting in sept. thats €2000 grants are getting, its a rip off
Wobbles thanks for that, not what I wanted to hear but what I expected :(

They never mentioned the blazer :shock: What's that all about???? Hire????
Wobbles

Every student pays a once of fee of €20 for the hire of the school blazer , they wear them if they are going on a special school outing, say for example to the "young scientist exhibition", so really only a few students actually get to wear them
Pedro

Wobbles wrote:Every student pays a once of fee of €20 for the hire of the school blazer , they wear them if they are going on a special school outing, say for example to the "young scientist exhibition", so really only a few students actually get to wear them
Easy money for Grants, think I might just be short 20 quid when I got in to buy the gear!!
diggerbarnes

It's the school that makes you pay it, not grants. What planet are they on? Prestige = cash?
Jehovah

Seriously, we didnt have a secondary school up to a few years ago. Some people are never happy..
Pedro

Jehovah wrote:Seriously, we didnt have a secondary school up to a few years ago. Some people are never happy..
Clearly your household doesn't need to budget!
Mr. Stupid

IT doesn't say a lot for VEC. They are getting a lot of tax payers money to manage the schools - whereas I think ET don't get because the parents do patronage. Estuarine can correct me here.
Wobbles

Diggerbarns it was grants who were charging the €20 for the blazer hire they added it to you bill , and yes jehovah its great to have a secondary school in donabate, but the cost of the uniform is crazy, why cant they just have plain navy troursers/ wine jumper/ navy polo shirt/ wine tacksuit top and then we buy the Crest and sew them on, it would reduce the cost significantly , you could then buy the trouses , jumper ect in m&s or dunnes
diggerbarnes

Oh yes I know that Wobbles. But my point is the same as yours. Ultimately it is the school that makes parents go to Grants in the first place. Blazers are so traditional and old hat. I just find the whole thing very insensitive. People are struggling.
Spider

I have the second of three children starting in DCC this year and I am fed up with the cost of the uniform on top of everything else. The hiring of the blazer in particular is ridiculous. My eldest is just finished her JC and has never had to wear the blazer. Can we all get together and petition or pressure the school to do something about this expense that most of us can't afford?
Pedro

Spider wrote:I have the second of three children starting in DCC this year and I am fed up with the cost of the uniform on top of everything else. The hiring of the blazer in particular is ridiculous. My eldest is just finished her JC and has never had to wear the blazer. Can we all get together and petition or pressure the school to do something about this expense that most of us can't afford?
Spider I'm with you 100%. It's not the Eur 20 that bothers me (when you take into account the ipad, uniform, Eur 150 to secure place etc, it's a small amount!!) It's the principle of paying a "hire fee" for something that in all probablility, will never be used.

I can positively state that I will not pay the hire fee to Grants or the school. I am grateful that the last of my older children enters 3rd level education in September, I would hate to have a few kids going into secondary school over the next few years, I think the cost is almost prohibitive at this stage for most "average" families (with the exception of the one here who thinks we should put up and shut up purely due to the school being in situ!!)
Derek

Jehovah wrote:Seriously, we didnt have a secondary school up to a few years ago. Some people are never happy..
Excellent and helpful first post.....not
Wobbles

Im with you too spider on this
mammy2

The ET herd again!! My neighbour's son applied too late for DCC because they returned from England and he is not sure of a place. Would it be possible if one of you lot disappeared to ET land so they could get a place for their child in first year. Please! Please! do us all a favour. They are willing to pay for uniform and everything else and they will not moan about it. bye bye.
Derek

With respect mammy, if you wanted the cooperation of the "ET herd", you're really going the right way about seeking it. :!:
mammy2

With respect cooperation you must be joking you lot want your own way. Make up the rules on the trot. no to religion yes to religion. no to uniforms yes to absolute conformity. We must all sing from the same hymn sheet. Now when I think about you sound like the Moonies or Scientology.
Wobbles

Mammy2 i did not complain about students having to wear a uniform , its the cost i find outrageous, and im sorry to disappoint you but im not one of the "et herd " im one of the" st. Pats herd" moo moo
Donabate Hatter

Derek,Wobbles,

Don't rise to it, the alter ego that is Mammy2 is clearly stark raving bonkers, see the previous threads it has posted in, (the one about the use of the ET buildings is a prime example). It dives into threads after they have been going a while, adds nothing to the thread but abuses anyone who does not agree with what it says. Wobbles, it will not believe your child goes to St. Pats, in the same way that has refused to believe that mine goes there.

As I said before, definitely one stop past East Ham on the London Underground!!!!!

Donabate Hatter
Pedro

Donabate Hatter wrote:Derek,Wobbles,

Don't rise to it, the alter ego that is Mammy2 is clearly stark raving bonkers, see the previous threads it has posted in, (the one about the use of the ET buildings is a prime example). It dives into threads after they have been going a while, adds nothing to the thread but abuses anyone who does not agree with what it says. Wobbles, it will not believe your child goes to St. Pats, in the same way that has refused to believe that mine goes there.

As I said before, definitely one stop past East Ham on the London Underground!!!!!

Donabate Hatter
I disagree with the "bonkers" bit, just very one dimensional with penchant for causing trouble. Trolls are best avoided and ignored for the greater good of the site.... no reaction here, no doubt (s)he will go elsewhere for a rise!! ;)