Darkness into Light in memory of Cathal

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Douglas

Darkness into the Light, 11 May 2013 4am, Newbridge House
In aid of Piete House

Let us continue to remember Cathal Martin, Doctor and Friend for a number of years to many of us here in Donabate.

A symbol of hope and a celebration of life, this is an extraordinary opportunity to come together as a community, remembering Cathal and friends and family who have lost fheir life to suicide while at the same time promoting awareness of the growing tragedy of suicide in our country.

http://dil.pieta.ie/venues/venue-view/d ... idge-house

Email to Marie at mariepeelo@pieta.ie or phone 01-6282111

So what do you say, shall we?
John Spark

I saw on Facebook that there are almost 800 people already registered for the Newbridge House venue for this.

Nice to see a good turnout for the first time the event is being held in Donabate.
Douglas

THE MOST AMAZING EXPERIENCE. The weather cleared up just on time and it really was cool running in the pitch dark and finishing up with the sun coming up.

Brilliantly organised, getting in and out of the park while busy was really well organised. Car pooling for next year would be recommended or I would consider cycling up as there are so many non-Donabaters who have to drive. The turn out considering it was raining before was unbelievable. It was estimated about 3,000. Many people brought younger children, some brought their dogs but was was particularly fantastic to see was the amount of teenagers there . Many in our community are down on the teenagers and I myself find the number hanging around the village too much from time to time well they were fantastic last night, and I guess they are all sleeping soundly now. Well done to them and all who took part, I will definitely go along next year and plan to encourage many of my friends and family to join in.
Ann O
Site Admin

Agree with Douglas, good event for a great cause.
John Spark

It really was a brilliant experience, and the effort that must have gone into setting up all the route lighting and the marshalls standing along the route etc was amazing.

Fair play to the organisers on their efforts.

It was so good to see all the teenagers at this event. There were classes from many schools, including the Donabate Community College, doing the walk/run with their teachers and that was particularly nice to see.

If I could offer one suggestion for improving the event, it would be to try to get some way to avoid the runners being blocked behind the walkers when the runners are on their second lap and the walkers are on their first lap, on the first part of the course. A small thing but it did mean that you couldn't run the whole course uninterrupted.

Well done again to everyone involved and I'm already looking forward to doing it again next year!!