Campaign for swimming pool in donabate/portrane

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
able

A campaign was just launched to get a swimming pool on the peninsula.

To support this initiative, please sign the petition at
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dpc-swimmingpool/

and like and share on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/dpcswimmingpool

also volunteers needed to help move this forward
bear

where would the funding for the project come from ? :?
Harry Byrne

I think a pool was considered at the outset and found to be too expensive to implement. And that was in the "good old days".
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Sure there's the makings of one there already where the old educate together school was, they just need to throw a roof over it and chlorinate the water!
able

bear wrote:where would the funding for the project come from ? :?
This is what we are going to look into as part of the project.
yossa

May I ask does anyone supporting this have any idea of the cost of not only building a pool but the running costs of providing a swimming pool. The vast majority of pools run by councils are subsidised substantially or have their cost offset by other profit making facilities. It is infeasible to think such a small community could support one. If there were ever a time when it may have been possible it would have been when dpleisure centre was built. There is a reason it wasn't. Swimming pools are essentially a place where you throw money away by buying water cleaning it , heating it and the air around it. Then you pour that warm water away when you backwash the pool and then you are charged to get rid of that water. Not to mention staffing cost.
bear

if the funding is to arrive from fingal cc. There are other projects in the area waiting to be started or finished for example some of the roads or the beach at portrane. ;)
Ken
Site Admin

I think this is worth pursuing to at least determine feasibility We have two primary schools and a secondary school close by that would no doubt make use of such a facility. Let's not shoot it down before it starts.
Regards,

Ken.
bear

Ken wrote:I think this is worth pursuing to at least determine feasibility We have two primary schools and a secondary school close by that would no doubt make use of such a facility. Let's not shoot it down before it starts.
I was just curious where the funding would be got.A while ago i heard a story that the original plans for where the gym is included a pool and other facilities.
Ken
Site Admin

It was in the original plans, but funding nor the population would justify it at that time. That was around 99/00 so it's worth looking at again.
Regards,

Ken.
Seanny

Think it's worth a look at again my feeling is the cost will be prohibitive but why not try?

Well worth talking to some of the people involved in Portmarnock leisure centre to get a handle of the costs involved.
diggerbarnes

The town was a lot smaller at the time. Maybe they could raise some of cash by selling membership in advance. Like 10 year memberships for 1000 euro per family (totally off the top of head figures there but you get the concept).
foo

Skerries have been trying to build a pool for a while now.
Roscrea (pop 5,403) have an amazing pool. The campaign took about 20 years.

I think a campaign for a pool is a good idea. What's to lose?
Though tennis courts might be a more reachable goal as they are much cheaper to run. Developers sometimes put them into big estates .

I think there should be a rule: No local area plan canbe approved that contains overa thousand houses unless there are significant amenities also included like tennis courts, a pool or improvements to footpaths and cycleways in the existing community.
bear

what happened to the cycle track to malahide ? Has it been scrapped ?
Bawner

Could you get this out to the various resident associations? I can talk to someone in Cois Inbhir RA and they might put it in next newsletter.
able

Bawner wrote:Could you get this out to the various resident associations? I can talk to someone in Cois Inbhir RA and they might put it in next newsletter.
That's a good idea. What active resident's associations do we have?
If you need any more information for the Cois Inbhir RA, please email dpc.swimmingpool@gmail.com
thanks
Vlad the Impaler

Is there even a public pool in Swords? If anything there should be one built near the M1 juntion serving the whole area. TBH there's no way we'd get one in Donabate with the associated running costs for our population. I was very suprised we even got a library!

Is the private pool in Portrane (Long Acres) not sufficient perhaps?
Ken
Site Admin

Long Acres is for sale so I presume that pool is no longer accessible.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochu ... in/2290917

There's no public pool in Swords that I'm aware of. Where is our nearest public pool? Ballymun? Northside Shopping Centre in Coolock?
Regards,

Ken.
Vlad the Impaler

Hmm, under 2million for LongAcres?

Why don't the local swimmers all club together and buy it? 1000 euros each if you can get 2000 members. :-)

Convert the rest of the building to a spa or something to help with the running costs.
Ken
Site Admin

A few of us could sell up and move into a bedroom each and set up a little autonomous commune. There's plenty of room for livestock and growing vegetables.
Regards,

Ken.
glasagusdubh

signed the petition fair shout good to see more positive community activism :D