Help Stop the Tsunami of Unsustainable Development

CommunityCouncil

Please visit our fundraiser https://gofund.me/b39283be to support.

Last month, An Bord Pleanála took the shocking decision to grant planning permission to Aledo Developments Ltd for almost 1400 units on the Corballis lands. This was despite our solid expert-led objections and has led to widespread outcries across our community.

This application is the second largest of its type, and used a planning instrument usually reserved for large urban centres. It is totally inappropriate and unsustainable for our peninsula, and if developed as proposed, will increase the population of Donabate from its current ca. 10,000 to over 14,000 people.
What is particularly troubling about the grant the Bord made is that is has:

DISREGARDED the overwhelming weight of expert and public opinion cataloguing many reasons why its scale, size and location are wrong.

DISREGARDED a painstakingly crafted County Development Plans which would’ve stopped this in its tracks.

DISREGARDED serious ongoing infrastructural deficits exampled by frequent water and power outages, which are a constant bane in everyone’s lives here.

At a recent public meeting, DPCC received a unanimous endorsement from the community to undertake Judicial Review proceedings against this grant of permission. The legal opinion DPCC obtained here is favourable, particularly as similar have been very successfully challenged elsewhere.

The Community Council needs your help again to undertake the necessary challenges to have this monstrous application struck down. This is no easy task, but is one that we as a community can and must win.

We’re especially conscious of the time of year and the high cost of living. The message we got from you is clear and unambiguous though: this planning decision must be challenged.
The support you gave last year has already gone a very long way towards fighting this and will be central to our challenge. A little support now from everyone at this difficult juncture will go a very long way to making our challenge a success.

Please donate what you can today, and a Happy Christmas from the Donabate Portrane Community Council
blowin1

Small donation done and I really hope people in the village get behind this. I see that Councillor Paul Mulville has allocated €1000 so fair play to him. 1400 dwellings is crazy given the current infrastructure, I get the train into work and they are nearly always jammed by the time it gets to Donabate and don't get me started on the bus.....and the water outages lol ! That land is right for development but must be done right
BateBoy

I do understand the concerns that people have regarding such a large development, but this is NIMBYism and I won't support it. We need to allow people who have no house to get a house or an apartment - a home for their family, if every time a planning application is granted permission, all you have to do is mount a judicial review, the housing problem will never be solved. You put your professionally prepared objection in, it was considered and REJECTED not DISREGARDED, the planners deem that the development is allowed. I believe the developer also offered to reduce the scale of the apartment development and put in more houses and even that didn't satisfy you? which would lead me to believe that you don't want ANY development, as opposed to you don't want THIS development.

And before someone says it, No, I don't work for the developer, no, I don't have any axe to grind, I believe we live in a democracy, but it is ridiculous in a housing crisis that these developments are blocked by unreasonable people when there are thousands of families looking for a home - is it true you wouldn't even engage in post planning discussions with the developer?

One other nutcase is blocking the supermarket on Turvey with a 50+ page objection to ABP, the highlights of which are "potential damage to graves' that are about 600m away from the development site and a long rambling diatribe about what the name of a newspaper is and when it changed and clippings of the masthead going back to the early 90's - to suggest that the advert in the paper wasn't placed properly - I think. He is holding up a multi million euro development that will save all of us money, forcing SuperValu to review their pricing and offering an alternative for the residents of Donabate in terms of shopping, but with a €20 fee to Fingal and a few bob to ABP he can hold it up for a year or more? Is that right? Is that what you want for Donabate?

This NIMBYistic behaviour is having a real world impact, no houses or apartments being built means higher rents. Higher rents significantly drive inflation and in particular means that lower paid workers have nowhere to live, or at best they are working just to pay rent, this means that they either NEED higher wages or in the case of people here from other countries to learn English etc, they just have to leave. This leaves these vital jobs unfilled and a big impact to the service and supply chain industries. It's not all about you, yes you have your house and you probably want to keep Donabate the way it is, but we can't be selfish, you raised your objection, it was noted and the planning awarded anyway, respect the process and get on with it.
Mr.Blowin

Yeah lets allow more of the traffic chaos on the small village roads INSTEAD of building up off the multi million euro Donabate Distributer Road
Scotty

Nothing to do with nimbyism, it’s the type of development. All you have to do is look at the development opposite the scout hut. Semi detached houses towered over by an apartment block, which is 10ft away, and looks like a cell block. Shall we just build lots of high rise flats like ballymun had, bateboy.
AindriuB

Scotty wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 16:49 Nothing to do with nimbyism, it’s the type of development. All you have to do is look at the development opposite the scout hut. Semi detached houses towered over by an apartment block, which is 10ft away, and looks like a cell block. Shall we just build lots of high rise flats like ballymun had, bateboy.
That development is lovely, and there should be more developments like it everywhere, in particular in towns with train stations.
blowin1

"and there should be more developments like it everywhere, in particular in towns with train stations "

I don't know about you, but I get the train to work every day and the trains are jammed, and for the life of me, I can't understand why all these homes are being allowed to be built when Fingal County Council are well aware that the infrastructure is NOT in place to support these new homes. It all sounds idyllic to prospective buyers, but the reality will be very different. AFAIK the Maynooth line has taken precedence and although they say Donabate is in line for the next upgrade, tbh I've been hearing that for 20 years, and as for the bus service, well, it may or may not turn up.