Public Drug Use and Dealing

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
gruffalo

Yesterday afternoon (Tuesday 9th August) as I sat and enjoyed the sun with my family in the Green area at the center of Donabate, three young males stood no more than 10 meters from us openly smoking drugs. They were in no way fazed by the presence of the Garda car which was doing its rounds, sure why would they, the Garda cannot smell the drugs from inside their car.

Now, I could be wrong and these three young men could have a medical need and therefore have obtained a Ministerial Licence for their use of cannabis but please excuse me if I choose to believe that this is not the case in this instance.

Although I not shocked by this open use of drugs and neither was I surprised to see that as well as open use, they were openly dealing with a forth man who appeared. I am saddened that they showed absolutely no subtly to their use and dealing, anybody with half a brain could tell what was happening but they were able to do so without a care in the world.

There has long been a call for more Garda presence in the village, I am fully aware that An Garda Síochána are at breaking point, they are being asked to deal with everything and anything these days and I know that drug use in minors and young adults is steadily on the rise but it would it be too much to ask for a foot patrol rather than just a "drive through" from the Garda.

Over the next few years our village is going to grow exponentially and this type of behaviour will more than likely become more publicly visible unless maybe if we could try and curb it now, we might stand some chance of limiting it or removing it altogether.

Probably have my head in the clouds here but worth a shot.
You know it’s cold outside when you go outside and it’s cold.
formerblowin

It's far from ideal to have people dealing drugs in the village, but there are far bigger problems than some people partaking in the devil's lettuce on a sunny day. The antisocial behavior we've seen here is not fueled by people smoking Mary Jane. I'd actually go so far as to say, that has probably curbed some of the issues.

Take a look at what has happened at LOI games over the last while. Booze and coke abound and combine to create a far more unpleasant situation than a few people getting stoned.
gruffalo

formerblowin wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 17:15 It's far from ideal to have people dealing drugs in the village, but there are far bigger problems than some people partaking in the devil's lettuce on a sunny day. The antisocial behavior we've seen here is not fueled by people smoking Mary Jane. I'd actually go so far as to say, that has probably curbed some of the issues.

Take a look at what has happened at LOI games over the last while. Booze and coke abound and combine to create a far more unpleasant situation than a few people getting stoned.
Agreed that the issues may not be with their friend Mary Jane right now but when that becomes the norm and they begin to look for more (the like of coke etc.) then it becomes an issue.

If we can try curb it or stop it now we hopefully will not get to that point.
diggerbarnes

It should be legalized. It's only a matter of time anyway.
Essexboy

Sorry for my ignorance, we’re they dealing drugs as per your post title?
gruffalo

Essexboy wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 20:50 Sorry for my ignorance, we’re they dealing drugs as per your post title?
Yes, I could not see exactly what they were dealing, if it was marijuana like they were smoking or something else but they were definitely dealing some type of drug.
AindriuB

Were they dealing resin or grass? Asking for a friend.