Aldi Planning Permission for Donabate

Ken
Site Admin

Aldi submitted planning permission to build a retail outlet on the Church of Ireland lands on Turvey Road. There was originally planning permission to build houses on that site.

The application can be found here. https://planning.agileapplications.ie/f ... Sx0XQvmQgE

I wouldn't have thought either Aldi or Lidl would be interested in opening in Donabate given the relative size of the population. However, they obviously have an eye on the future.

No doubt that Donabate needs another supermarket. What are people's thoughts?

AldiDonabate.jpg
Regards,

Ken.
blowin1

It brought a wry smile to my face when I read the
Date they lodged the application, 23rd of December :lol:! So only another week or so for people to object. Listen, I think we all agree that we badly need another supermarket, I do think it's sad for any building in that field and I really hope that the church and graveyard are not damaged in any way. I do scratch my head at how narrow that particular stretch of road is to be able to take the amount of traffic that any supermarket will generate.

Am I mistaken, but was planning not granted for a supermarket in the vacant plot of land beside the train station? And I see that other plot of land beside it is up for sale with planning for 155 apartments which will really cause awful congestion in that small section of Turvey Avenue.
Ken
Site Admin

I think there was planning permission granted opposite, but, from what I remember, it was for more of a convenience store than a supermarket.

I would agree that we need another supermarket, but I don't think that's the right location. I can't see how traffic could be sufficiently managed. It would make a lot more sense to put it on the distributor road.
Regards,

Ken.
blowin1

Ah ok, but clearly whoever was going to build a convenience store there has decided not to proceed.

Yes, I agree with you 100%, the Aldi shop would be better placed on the distributor Road, much better access etc. Turvey Avenue will become a complete bottleneck. I would love to get into the minds of planners to try to understand their logic in allowing a supermarket in one of the narrowest stretches of road
kenny

The building beside the train station was granted planning permission on June 9th 2021: https://planning.agileapplications.ie/f ... ails/88502

What is described as a "retail convenience foodstore" in the opening sentence is a bit of an understatement, it actually says "a licensed retail convenience foodstore at first floor level (1,187m²net floor area) including an off licence". The drawings show 5 checkout lanes!

Assuming this is going ahead the last thing we need is another grocery shop on the other side of the road.
Ken
Site Admin

I agree. Given how large Donabate will become, especially along the distributor road, it makes little sense to have three supermarkets in the one area. If one supermarket has already been given permission across the road, I'd be surprised if Final approve a second on the same section of road. As I said earlier, the place for this is along the distributor road where there is proper access.
Regards,

Ken.
blow-in

Planners??

What a joke. These guys couldn't plan their way out of trouble. It's one bad planning decision after another. They are civil servants with no formal training in environmental engineering or anything similar. They have no concept of the issues they create with their bumbling incompetence.

We will have another ridiculous exit onto the road around the bridge, causing another potentially dangerous situation, but the brains in Fingal planning will address it with traffic lights or a speed bump, or both!

Definition of insanity / stupidity - doing same thing over and over and expecting different results!
blowin1

Goodness, just heard from a neighbour that it is Tesco that has planning permission for the Supermarket on the site beside the train station and approx 150metres down the road Aldi are applying for planning, well to say I'm shocked is an understatement, that road is going to become a carpark
diggerbarnes

A carpark full of amazing deals!!
Donagreat

Just a reminder that the deadline for submitting objections is today:
https://planning.agileapplications.ie/f ... Sx0XQvmQgE

Well worth reading some of the other objections already made on that link to fully understand why it's such a terrible spot for a supermarket.
Ken
Site Admin

According to Adrian Henchy on Facebook, planning permission has been granted to Aldi on this site. Seems incredible given the location and that Aldi use articulated lorries for deliveries. The Distributor Road would have been a far more suitable location.
Regards,

Ken.
Ken
Site Admin

Decision letter with conditions.
00740368.pdf
(366.64 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
Regards,

Ken.
pat mustard

Will it have a betting shop ?
Mary_Sheehan

Ken,
You can appeal FCC’s decision to An Bord Pleanana.
Ken
Site Admin

Mary_Sheehan wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 19:22 Ken,
I can't as as I didn't put in an observation. I checked and most people had made similar points to the ones I would have made. I've appealed decisions to ABP in the past. It's expensive and I've had no success.
Regards,

Ken.
Ken
Site Admin

Mary_Sheehan wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 19:22 Ken,
I can't as I didn't put in an observation. I checked and most people had made similar points to the ones I would have made. I've appealed decisions to ABP in the past. It's expensive and I've had no success.
Regards,

Ken.
kenny

What a joke! So many objections ignored and not covered in the granting letter. Does anyone in the community want this? Why can't the one beside the train station go ahead?
blowin1

It must be close on a year that Tesco got planning permission for the site up by the train station, assume they haven't started to build due to ever increasing costs ?