History of the house at Egans beach

Discussion for Donabate/Portrane Local History
Roadrunner

Could anyone tell me the history of the old house at Egans beach as you walk up towards the Waterside on the cliff walk from Portrane.

Was it part of St. Ita's or maybe an old coastguard's station ?

It's very quirky and very well taken care of. Love the stone pillars and the outhouse !

Thanks
Ken
Site Admin

I can't say I've noticed much along that stretch. Is it a red bricked building close to St. Ita's? If so, then it would be part of St. Ita's. Some of those smaller buildings may still be in use. At least they were up to a year or so ago anyway.

The main building was the first to be vacated. They must have calculated that the smaller out buildings were easier to heat and maintain.
Regards,

Ken.
mammy

Egan's Beach is that also known as Ladies Walk ? the coast gaurds cottages are by the Martello tower that is on Tower Bay ... :? confused in Donabate
Ann O
Site Admin

The house is not that old, it was just made to look old!
mammy

I know the house now.Iit is for sale or aleast it was a few weeks ago you can see photo's of it on myhome.ie I don't know when it was built seems to be there a while but wouldn't be historic from what I know of it .
Ken
Site Admin

I remember the one now. It's a small beach house with a large patio area to the left? It was for sale, but not sure it still is. Incredible price if I recall given its size.

I don't think it's that old so no historical significance.
Regards,

Ken.
Roadrunner

Wow it mustn't have been on sale for long. No sign of it on the property price register yet.

I think it was previously owned by a Corkonian as the Confederate flag used to be flying outside :)
Ken
Site Admin

It's about 6 months ago that I saw it for sale. The asking price was around €400k IIRC :shock: . It either sold or was withdrawn as it's not there now.
Regards,

Ken.
Harry Byrne

I thought it looked a bit tacky, so probably was somebody from Cork. :D
mammy

judgeing by the hammering the coast is getting down there it may be unsellable cash buyer only.I would guess.
I see the tide coming in over the effort that was made to hold it back with the big rock's .The pictures of the interior were ......oh I hear my mother in my ear I will be nice :O)
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Ken wrote:It's about 6 months ago that I saw it for sale. The asking price was around €400k IIRC :shock: . It either sold or was withdrawn as it's not there now.
It was initially up for 650 iirc and dropped to around 400 before the listing was removed. The inside looked nice but very cluttered.
Ken
Site Admin

I wonder if anyone lived there full time or was it just a holiday home. I'd say it wouldn't be a nice place to be on a stormy winter's night.
Regards,

Ken.
foo

Longacres was also up for sale recently. Its a long way back from the water but the erosion of the beach is pretty scary so would imagine it too could be under threat.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

foo wrote:Longacres was also up for sale recently. Its a long way back from the water but the erosion of the beach is pretty scary so would imagine it too could be under threat.
How much were they looking for it? It's n amazing house, but yeah, a bit too close to the sea!
Ken
Site Admin

Bill_Lumbergh wrote:
foo wrote:Longacres was also up for sale recently. Its a long way back from the water but the erosion of the beach is pretty scary so would imagine it too could be under threat.
How much were they looking for it? It's n amazing house, but yeah, a bit too close to the sea!
I think they were looking for just under a million.
Regards,

Ken.
bear

nice house but cant see them getting that in todays market. Any truth in the story tom cruise was seen getting a viewing on wednesday ? :lol: