New Gas System Boiler and BER

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
RAYBEV1!

Hi All

I am living in 3 bed Semi in Beverton 22 years old now with original gas system boiler. Looing at houses that have sold in the estate in the past the BER Rating of the houses seems to range from C1 to B3.

I am wondering if there is any point of getting a BER rating before and after i get the Boiler changed, This would let me know what the rating has changed after the boiler is replaced. Also i would hope it would identify any other areas i should change and what the difference would make to the BER rating.

I do also need to replace the insulation in the attic, I have had a few companies out regarding the attic insulation. My issue with the advice was all companies wanted to add 200 to 300mm of insulation. There is not much height in the attic so i would prefer to have insulation board fitted to the attic floor as i would not need to prop up the attic floor. Has anyone got this done.

Sorry about long post.
Ken
Site Admin

Our house is 24 years old. We had the original boiler (well two boilers) up to two years ago. We originally had one boiler and had a second added when the house was 4 years old as we added an extension. At the time, it made sense as it would have meant scrapping a fairly new boiler.

However, as energy prices rose over the years, €800 gas bills for two months at the height of winter were not unusual. We replaced the two boilers with a single condenser boiler two years ago. That made a big difference in terms of heat and cost - bills were closer to €500 for two months.

I think a new boiler will help your BER rating. but I'm not sure attic insulation will make a huge difference. Where our house is concerned, I believe the windows will probably make the biggest difference followed by wall insulation. Both of these won't be great in a house over 1o years old. I think insulating the attic is something you'd do after these main areas have been addressed.
Regards,

Ken.
RAYBEV1!

Thanks Ken

I went on to a site called BERCert.com to check out the price of the BER, I received 3 reply's 399, 200 and 190 euro big difference.
Problem is unless i accept the quote and pay 20 euro i cant ask the question to find out why there is such a difference.

Next step is to research the different type of boilers, As i have the hot water cylinder it might have to be a system boiler again.

The boiler you changed to was it a system boiler. If you changed from a System boiler to a combi boiler did this add massively to the price of change,

Happy New Year to you and yours

Ray
Random Citizen

I was disappointed with the content of my BER report. I was expecting something more specific to my property, but got a report that is mostly generic based around assumptions on building standards in the build year, and full of useless observations like "This property does not have Solar Panels". Maybe the more expensive ones do something practical like Thermal Imaging?

If you've never seen a BER report, I can share a copy of mine if you're interested.

I found the providers difficult to deal with: unclear pricing, very slow responses, bit of an arrogant attitude.
Ken
Site Admin

Ours is a system boiler as we had previously. We weren't given the option of a combi so not sure what would be involved in converting.
Regards,

Ken.
RAYBEV1!

Random Citizen wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 14:08 I was disappointed with the content of my BER report. I was expecting something more specific to my property, but got a report that is mostly generic based around assumptions on building standards in the build year, and full of useless observations like "This property does not have Solar Panels". Maybe the more expensive ones do something practical like Thermal Imaging?

If you've never seen a BER report, I can share a copy of mine if you're interested.

I found the providers difficult to deal with: unclear pricing, very slow responses, bit of an arrogant attitude.
Hi Random Citizen
Thanks for you reply that would be great if you could share. I thought also that the BER quote would be very detailed.
Cathal

Excuse the formatting, I’m typing this from a mobile device.
We’ve been trying to get quotes for a boiler change for a while now, what we want to do is change the standard boiler for a combi and remove the HWC and regain some of the hot press space back into our bedroom wardrobes, it should be a fairly straightforward swap out, I had a good heating company who we’ve always used in the past, but I haven’t been able to get a recent quote from them for the work required, in the past they had quoted me €2500 but that was 2years ago and. One issue that came up was that combi boilers are required to be plumbed from the mains but the pressure in our part of donabate anyway isn’t sufficient although there is a way around this by splitting the mains feed in and pumping from your CW attic tank aswell as the mains.
Getting quotes from anyone on a combi swap seems to be near impossible.
We are in a 3bed semi D, I’ve contacted over 20 small and large Dublin based companies. I’ve had about 2 companies who’ve said they are too busy, 1 company who said my mains isn’t high enough and that I’d need to split the feed but their company wouldn’t do it and pointed me to a company in Navan who did give me a quote but who wanted to move the boiler to attic as it’s easier for whatever reason I couldn’t fully understand, but the quote was €6500.
They also mentioned while doing it they wanted to add zones upstairs/downstairs and change my current controls as there is a grant for upgraded control as and it works out cheaper for them and me if I went this route, a BER was a requirement for the grant so they’d supply that.
That was wayyy to much for us and I didn’t want a gas pipe running up the external wall of the house.
If you get any decent quotes please send me a PM with details if you don’t mind.

BTW you should be able to get the last published BER cert from here, all you need is your mprn and eircode. https://ndber.seai.ie/pass/ber/search.aspx

On the topic of BER certification
We’ve had 2 done by separate companies at our current address and 1 in our previous address. All them have been fairly basic, call out count lights and heaters and input into a spreadsheet. Unless you’ve receipts for insulation upgrades or it’s visible they just calculate with what was the standard for the time, no ones offered thermal imaging of any kind and as far as I know that doesn’t come into the calculation, we’ve had the bathroom slabbed with 80mm insulation while it was getting done and do plan to do the rest of the house, they told me even if this is a diy project make sure I keep receipts to prove it’s actually done, For future BER.
We’ve had a c3 and a d3 cert with nothing changed but the company in our house. The last company here told me the easiest way to increase our rating was attic floor insulation, he’s a 2 second look for the current Stuff and said that it’s 50mm in our attic and to change that to 150mm for the quickest move up a few numbers on the BER scale.
RAYBEV1!

Thanks Cathal
As soon as i get some prices ill let you know. I did ask one guy about changing to a combi boiler he advised against it and the price would be a lot more. when i get more guys out ill ask again.

I was also told the Attic should be insulated, had 3 guys out from large companies, i want boards put in and not the standard insulation as i dont want to have to limit the space in the attic, not much height there,

I was told this could not be done when i know it can be, seems they want to do what they want not the customer.

Thanks for your reply
Cathal

We’d a combi in our old house and 2 friends have had installed in last 2 years, both of them would never go back.
The actual cost of the unit is the same, there is some work involved with fitting and a pump will probably be required but shouldn’t be more than a few hundred more.
It’s night and day having one, no more immersion, as much hot water as you like a minute after turning the tap on, you can plumb your showers straight from it and avoid the need for electric showers.
luckycat007

We had our system boiler swapped out for a combi a year ago in a 4 bed semi in Beverton. Immersion eliminated. Still have the tank in the attic and a pump supplying pressure to the home. It has worked out wonderfully, we have a lot more storage on the hot press without the immersion. Never issues with pressure, and never run out of hot water. This replaced a 19 year old system boiler.

The plumber was from Donabate, Ray at TCB.
RAYBEV1!

Thanks Luckycat007
I am in Beverton also, I was concerned about the water pressure in Beverton.

Ray
RAYBEV1!

Hi Luckycat007.
Do you find the combi boiler better, apart from the extra storage space. Have you had any issues with it. I am in a 3 bed in Beverton was there a lot of extra work involved in changing from a system boiler. If you don't mind me asking was it expensive to change over compared to installing another system boiler.
Thanks
luckycat007

Hey Ray, it was around 800 to 1k more for the combi, depending on the plumber. It was more because there was additional work to take out the immersion, run gas up to the hot press where the combi and pump were installed. Got about 3 quotes ranging from 3000 to 4500. Some plumbers advised against the switch, it may have been easier and less money to busy swap the boiler, but we had a very small immersion and would have needed to replace that anyway, and having the extra storage space in the hot press was a big advantage.

We have been very happy. Pressure is still from the tank in the attic and whole house pump, and we never run out of hot water. If we're running two showers at once there is some drop in pressure but it doesn't happen often.
Cathal

Just to follow up on this for anyone thinking of doing same. I’ve been in contact with about 30 plumbing/heating companies about changing the standard boiler to a combi.
I’ve had quotes from €3500-€7000, over 3/4 of those contacted are too busy and don’t want the job.
I’ve a guy I know coming Monday to do it, will be booster pump off the cold tank to feed the combi.
I’ve some pipework I’m getting re-routed so I can claim back half the hot press.
Total for combi boiler relocated to attic, hive thermostat, booster pump and some pipework rerouted under the floor in the hot press €3700
luckycat007

Thanks for the update, curious how it all works out. Just wondering what combi did you go for? We wound up with a Bosch 30i but were close to getting a Viessman. For your pump...was that inststalled in the attic or hot press (or elsewhere)? Ours is in the hot press, only disadvantage is noise (vibration) when the pump activates.
Cathal

Boiler is a baxi 825, so only a 22kw, we’re in a small 3 bed so well enough for size of the house.
We’ve a 3 bar walrus pump in the attic, it’s split to the combi and the cold water to the house so comes on all water use, was only installed today and the pump is off until the work is completed, as the attic isn’t converted yet it’s essentially mounted on the ceiling over the hot press so I’d imagine it’s gonna be well audible, plumber is picking up a vibration Matt/plate for it tomorrow before it’s screwed down, I’ve seen guys online put them in a soundproof box and when we convert the attic we’ll try put it in the corner above the bathroom maybe