Houses Ballymastone Disaster

bronorton

Pretty much agree with the above
  • People need a place to live
  • Its being delivered over 10 years
  • There are much needed amenities coming
Now its about trusting the council to deliver the infrastructure to allow the town to grow
Sleepy

I've seen statements that "vulture funds" won't be allowed to purchase but has any guarantee been sought or given that the 60% allocated for private buyers won't be sold to Cluid, Peter McVerry Trust, Simon, Tuath et al?

I'm all for mixed developments but fear that the 20% allocation will swiftly increase and Ballymastone will go the way of Jobstown.
Mr. Stupid

No. Any private individual or organisation can buy any house and rent back to the council. Or any organisation can buy whatever property they want and rent it to whoever they want.

If you can buy a 3 bed in this development for 450 and a 3 bed in Somerton also for 450, most will choose Somerton. This means, their calculations are all wrong and the only way they will sell the houses to private owners is if they are considerable cheaper. Then despite listening to John Lennon records and waving your green peace flags, you end up with a big 1,000+ estate that basically no-one really wants to live in and those people living in 450K houses in Somerton who used to think they were normal all of sudden start becoming posh because they live in the estate the other 1,000 families couldn't afford..

The only way this can work is if you make the private houses better than Somerton and then sell then for the same price. So let's say the private houses are 450 euro, but you get 5 bedrooms or 3 reception rooms or big gardens. Now, people think ok I can have a bigger house for the same money or I can live in Somerton in a smaller house with no social housing. That would actually work because it is a fair choice. It's win win. You get more variation, more choice and sustainable social housing.
gruffalo

Mr. Stupid wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 20:45 No. Any private individual or organisation can buy any house and rent back to the council. Or any organisation can buy whatever property they want and rent it to whoever they want.

If you can buy a 3 bed in this development for 450 and a 3 bed in Somerton also for 450, most will choose Somerton. This means, their calculations are all wrong and the only way they will sell the houses to private owners is if they are considerable cheaper. Then despite listening to John Lennon records and waving your green peace flags, you end up with a big 1,000+ estate that basically no-one really wants to live in and those people living in 450K houses in Somerton who used to think they were normal all of sudden start becoming posh because they live in the estate the other 1,000 families couldn't afford..

The only way this can work is if you make the private houses better than Somerton and then sell then for the same price. So let's say the private houses are 450 euro, but you get 5 bedrooms or 3 reception rooms or big gardens. Now, people think ok I can have a bigger house for the same money or I can live in Somerton in a smaller house with no social housing. That would actually work because it is a fair choice. It's win win. You get more variation, more choice and sustainable social housing.
This makes absoutley no sense what so ever and I personally get a strong sense that you are just discriminating against people before they have even turned a sod to start bulding these hoses.
You know it’s cold outside when you go outside and it’s cold.
Mr. Stupid

Au contraire Gruffalo, as I said I am in favour of social housing, affordable housing. It is just that I want to see it work and don't live in la la land like a lot of our politicians who are there fobbing you off from all parties. There has to be a quid pro quo where everyone wins; otherwise these things never work.
AindriuB

Time will tell.