Semple Woods new development

kingfisher

The site lacks safe pedestrian access to Donabate town and rail station. The current footpath between Donabate town and Semple Woods ends abruptly by the filling station. Residents are forced to walk on the main road. Hearse road is very narrow and speeds limit is 80km per hour.

Public statement from Corina Johnston about this mater is below:

Serious safety concerns must be urgently addressed - Johnston
Corina Johnston Labour Party Local Area Representative for Donabate and Portrane is calling on Fingal County Council and Glenveagh Properties to urgently address serious safety concerns arising from breaches of planning conditions associated with the Semple Woods Development on the Hearse Road.

Johnston said “The Donabate Local Area Plan states that prior to any units being sold or occupied in the Corballis West Development a continuous footpath connecting the Hearse Road development to the village shall be provided. Despite residents moving into the development in recent weeks the continuous footpath and toucan crossing, which also forms part of the planning permission, has not been completed.

Residents are obliged to walk to and from the village and the train station without the footpath and toucan crossing. This is a serious safety issue and is totally unacceptable. Residents are extremely concerned for their safety when walking along this road and demand action by the council. The safety of residents must be a priority.”

Johnston said “Fingal County Council have informed me that there is an on-going planning enforcement case on this matter and a Warning Letter has been issued to the owner of the lands. This is totally inadequate. Fingal County Council must now instruct the developer to commence these works immediately to ensure the safety of residents in accordance with the planning conditions. This work should be carried out during the night as the Hearse Road is currently closed at night to facilitate other infrastructural works. This is an ideal opportunity for the developer to complete these works with minimal disruption to the wider community”
Fr Jack

Fingal Co Co have turned a blind eye to a lot of Glenveaghs activities since that development was started in May 2018.
TommyP

Good to see Corina getting active
Nemo

Hi everyone. My partner and I are considering buying in Semple Woods. We would love to hear thoughts from anyone who purchased in the first phase as to how they are finding it. Is it a nice area and community? Are there any issues we should expect? Thank you.
AM2020

Hi All,

Currently looking at purchasing in Semple Woods and jsut looking for some feedback on how residents find it there. Is it a quiet estate that is more family orientated or more rentals? Does anyone know what the plans are for the apartments? Has anyone had any issues trying to find Creche facilities? If anyone has an East facing Kitchen how do they find the light in the house? Finally has anyone heard any updates on the 1000 apts to ?be built behind Smyth's pub? Sorry for all the questions I would definitely appreciate any comments or thoughts on the above. Thanks a million in advance.
Niavc2020

Am2020,

We are also thinking of buying in semple woods and share the same concerns and are looking for feedback from anyone who is living there already! Have you found any answers to your questions?
Niavc2020

Would love to hear any answers to the above questions? What is it like to live in semple woods? Is the train noise a concern?
Brego

AM2020 wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 11:39 Hi All,

Currently looking at purchasing in Semple Woods and jsut looking for some feedback on how residents find it there. Is it a quiet estate that is more family orientated or more rentals? Does anyone know what the plans are for the apartments? Has anyone had any issues trying to find Creche facilities? If anyone has an East facing Kitchen how do they find the light in the house? Finally has anyone heard any updates on the 1000 apts to ?be built behind Smyth's pub? Sorry for all the questions I would definitely appreciate any comments or thoughts on the above. Thanks a million in advance.
Yes very family friendly. Lots of young professionals with young families. Was very impressed with the effort everyone put in for the kids last night despite the current restrictions.

Don't know the exact spilt in housing but it is majority home owners with maybe 20-30 percent council and rentals. Similar to how all estates will be going forward.

The plans for the apartments were downgraded from 5 blocks to 3 which is a positive. Check the fingal planning website.

Donabate is under supplied in crèches and schools. The Semple Woods crèche is not due til the end of phase 3.

There are 6 or 7 different types of houses in the estate so no one is going to be able to give you an exact answer on your sun in the kitchen question.

I think the planning permission for the development behind Smyths pub was rejected but again id suggest you research the fingal planning permission page for any updates.
Niavc2020

Thanks Brego. Really appreciate your reply. Have a deposit down in the grove in semple woods. Looking forward to moving in in the new year!
Ann O
Site Admin

Niavc2020 wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 21:35 ...Is the train noise a concern?
I haven't experienced it from Semple Woods, but from friends houses very close to the railway further along the line in the village and it's really not a problem where they are.

I would imagine the newer build houses in Semple Woods probably have better insulation and soundproofing qualities than the older houses too.
Niavc2020

Thanks Ann. That’s good to hear! Looking forward to the move now!
Mo Kapav

I see the residents of Semple Woods are objecting to the extension of the estate.. The there is a planning application F21A/0113 for a further 76 dwellings on the adjoining lands ....

The observations are mainly about safety, as the the existing roads are 5 metres wide and too narrow to cater for the existing traffic, let alone an extra 76 dwellings..

Will the FCC consider their observations ... Probably not .... All I can say is "Welcome to Donabate"