The Glaslinn Dip

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Links

Hi all - can anyone tell me the situation with the grass verge dip in Glaslinn by the gate walkway. Kids are starting to use it as a cycle and play area and residents are expressing frustration at them.

I've heard the dip was designed in to stop kids from playing football but ironically its now an attractive cycle play area for the mountain bikers.

But minors playing there have been asked by residents for their home addresses which as a parent I'm not comfortable with.

What is the appropriate use for that area?
diggerbarnes

A pond?
bevertonian

Are these people for real - They really need to get a life, let kids play or cycle, jesus they’ve been cooped up for long enough - Stupid idea in the first place to have it as a bowl, it should have just been a flat green area so kids can run around, play football etc. - some cheek asking for names and addresses - its a communal green “bowl” area - get over it and leave the kids alone.......
KarelL

its an attenuation pond... Will come in handy once the place floods...
it was never put there to deter people from playing... what a pile of sh*te
bevertonian

KarelL wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 12:56 it was never put there to deter people from playing... what a pile of sh*te
Maybe not, but by all accounts it seem the residents are :)
JohnnyDP

The people were put there to deter children from playing?
SMcDermott

I live in the Glaslinn estate and this situation has been misrepresented. There is a dip but its there to deal with the potential of a flood it has nothing to do with stopping children playing.

The issue is that some kids are using it as a bike track which it was never designed to be and the (mainly) boys who come by on their bikes are intimidating and stopping the younger kids who live in the estate from playing outside of their own house.

I don't think the intimidation is deliberate but more a factor of the age difference and residents here are understandably frustrated that their own kids are scared of playing on the green.