Dogs on the beach

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Mr. Stupid

Does anyone know if you are allowed to leave your dog off the lead on the beach?
Last edited by Mr. Stupid on 05 Mar 2021, 09:19, edited 2 times in total.
diggerbarnes

Should be fine. But if it's a big dog, it might break some of the branches.
Spider

Sign on Donabate beach only specifies they must be kept on leash in the designated bathing area after 11am up to 6pm (I think) in July and August. There's no law to say dogs must be kept on a lead just that they should be under reasonable control.
Ken
Site Admin

Dogs should be on a lead at all times when in public places. Additionally, restricted breeds should be muzzled. So yes, dogs on the beach should be on lead at all times.

Having said that, I don't have an issue with people having dogs off lead that are well trained and have good recall. However, many of them don't.
Regards,

Ken.
Mr. Stupid

Spider wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 13:58 Sign on Donabate beach only specifies they must be kept on leash in the designated bathing area after 11am up to 6pm (I think) in July and August. There's no law to say dogs must be kept on a lead just that they should be under reasonable control.
Spider, there is the
Regional Parks and Open Spaces Bye-Laws 2017, see here:
https://www.fingal.ie/sites/default/fil ... 202017.pdf

Dogs have to be on a leash unless it is a designated area where they are allowed off the leash.
bunt25

Or under “effectual control”.
Mr. Stupid

I read that as "and" not "or" effective control"
Dogs in parks and open spaces shall be kept on a leash, other than in areas
designated as off-leash areas, or at times specified by the County Council. Dogs
must be kept under effectual control at all times.
Spider

"At times designated by the council". The only times dogs are not allowed off leash on Donabate Beach are between 11 and 6 (I think) in designated bathing area which is marked out on the beach by flags. After that point they are allowed off leash. I haven't been down there for a while as it's too busy so it may have changed...
Bawner

Is the beach a designated off leash area? Just because it's public amenity doesn't imply it's off leash e.g. Newbridge House is on-leash except for designated areas, but you still see dogs let loose on the playing fields.
Grrrr.