Retail units at station- back again

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Matsugawa

The bar is so low for urban development in Donabate that my initial impression is that it's not *that* bad, though it is pretty ugly. IMHO nowhere near as a bad as the eyesore Warrington Mews by the church. Lots of space for parking and you do need that for a supermarket - assuming it will take a supermarket. Is the plan to put a Lidl/Aldi in it? The little coffee shop unit is grand. We do need more retail space in Donabate.
patsman

I think its too small for Lidl Aldi. More likely a small convenience store and off licence. The place for a lidl or Aldi would be a green field site off the new new road with plenty of room for parking.
kenny

Looks pretty big to me. The floor plans have supermarket written on them, one plan shows 6 checkout lanes. So definitely more than a convenience store. The 3d view is not pretty.
lofty

The only shops i know around Dublin that have a store upstairs are Lidl/Aldi, it is kind of in keeping with their model (Lidl Swords and Aldi East Wall)
kenny

Agreed, it looks alot like the Lidl design in Swords.
Ken
Site Admin

It will be interesting to see what it becomes. Aldi or Lidl aren't known for investing in areas with growth potential. They like to locate in highly populated urban areas with easy access and parking. Somewhere along the R132 that would also service Lusk and Rush would make more sense.
Regards,

Ken.
idaok

Lidl in Portmarnock also is upstairs, a fairly busy town. Maybe Tesco Metro?
tsuzmir

Looks like a smaller copy of the new Swords store. One thing I can't figure out is where is their delivery truck going to park. Goods in seems to be at the front, between pedestrian crossing and roundabout.