New businesses in village

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
pat mustard

Great to see a Coffee shop and Dog Groomer/shop opening soon. Good luck to both of them. Spoke with doggie shop staff earlier. Shop local.

For the weekly shop, wouldn't mind a new supermarket near though for a bit of competition to SV.
Brego

Town badly needs a lidl or aldi
jayflame

Brego wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 19:59 Town badly needs a lidl or aldi
Anything to compete with SuperValu, stock is getting worse
PC2020

Absolutely the lack of options is a joke. How long are those derelict sites at the train station going to sit there idle - the old daybreak shop and the site in front of the Gallery Appartment’s. I see there is planning permission there for retail units, perhaps Aldi or Lidl will go there. That old daybreak shop would be ideal for a coffee shop with train commuters.

The village also needs more restaurants surely a restaurant would have been of better use to residents than a dog groomers. Great to see the new cafe
Lavidolas

Great to see Doughbox down at The Brook plugging away too. Terrific pizza and lovely gesture with the treat bags for kids this weekend.
Banana

peter up at Dexter beef is very good too for keeping it local fro meat and eggs . We did his free farm walk one saturday and hes got great vision for the place and a lot of very happy chickens , pigs and cows pottering around the old golf course .

if you order online - he delivers to your door with a smile !
gruffalo

Yes, Dexter Beef is fantastic! We cannot wait to complete our move to the village and have it on our doorstep.

Keeping tabs on Triangle Coffee as well, looking forward to
trying it and fingers crossed for a few more new businesses opening even in these tough times.
You know it’s cold outside when you go outside and it’s cold.
salokindoc

Great to see some new businesses opening. Hard times so best of luck to them.

Not sure about support local and then trying to get an ALDI or LIDL in. Supervalu is owned by two guys (not sure if local) but all the staff are locals from all ages. i use the click and collect and its a great service. Whereas the Swords Supervalu is owned by the AVIA group(valued at 27m) https://www.irishtimes.com/business/com ... -1.4280443
Spider

Aldi would also employ plenty of locals. They pay well and provide great benefits for their staff. We need a choice in the village. Supervalu are very expensive and poorly stocked. Delighted to see Triangle Coffee opening up and Dough Box doing so well.
PC2020

Absolutely- SuperValu needs competition. Aldi or Lidl would be a great addition to the area as would some new restaurants. With all the new young couples moving to the area, there is a great opportunity for cafes and restaurants.

Keelings is a great pub. It would be great if Smyth’s upped its game, it looks extremely run down and could be lovely if it was properly maintained
HollieBG

Maybe its time to give Smyths a break??

They've been closed since last March.
yelruf

PC2020 wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 12:16 Absolutely- SuperValu needs competition. Aldi or Lidl would be a great addition to the area as would some new restaurants. With all the new young couples moving to the area, there is a great opportunity for cafes and restaurants.

Keelings is a great pub. It would be great if Smyth’s upped its game, it looks extremely run down and could be lovely if it was properly maintained
Smyths is one of the finest, friendliest Boozers I've ever supped Beer in and I think I may be a little bit in love with it !
formerblowin

Those calling for an Aldi or Lidl in the neighborhood should realise that the money spent in those establishments goes towards the billionaire owners of the companies. As a franchise, Supervalu is owned by individuals, not faceless corporations. Supervalu should absolutely step up their game, and they can. Take a look at the Killester Supervalu to see what they can achieve.

Eddie Kane has been a solid employer in this community for 20 years, and you'll find very few employees of his that have a bad word to say about him. Just look at the workforce, and how long they have worked there.
Spider

I can't afford to do my shopping in Supervalu. I drop in for bread and milk but do the bulk of my shopping elsewhere due to necessity. I'm lucky I have a car. I feel sorry for those that gave no other choice. While I appreciate Supervalu has been a great employer in the area, there's no harm in a little competition. People are entitled to choice and value for money.
Spider

Oh and good luck to Triangle Coffee who opened today. Saw a queue to get in as I passed. Hope they do well.
PC2020

Donabate and Portrane has a population of approx 10,000 and growing. It needs at least 2 supermarkets, competition in every town is good. The protectionist mentality saying that a new entrant would damage SuperValu and jobs in the area is what is holding Donabate back. The population will grow and both Aldi/Lidl and SuperValu could thrive here. SuperValu needs to up its game and would do with competition.

Triangle cafe is a great addition. What we also need is some new restaurants hopefully!
Brego

formerblowin wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 15:14 Those calling for an Aldi or Lidl in the neighborhood should realise that the money spent in those establishments goes towards the billionaire owners of the companies. As a franchise, Supervalu is owned by individuals, not faceless corporations. Supervalu should absolutely step up their game, and they can. Take a look at the Killester Supervalu to see what they can achieve.

Eddie Kane has been a solid employer in this community for 20 years, and you'll find very few employees of his that have a bad word to say about him. Just look at the workforce, and how long they have worked there.
That's all well and good but an Aldi or Lidl would offer a lot of employment to locals too. True the profits go elsewhere but a town of the population of Donabate/Portrane needs more options and unless a local has the resources to set up a large supermarket then realistically its a Lidl or Aldi.
That the majority have to travel to Swords for affordable shopping isn't great.
Star

The farmers market today is a great addition to Donabate. It was so well run and had such a lovely atmosphere up there.
It was great seeing so many locals selling their goods.
Best of luck to them for the next few weeks too.
DandS

Unfortunately the standard of cleanliness in Supervalu in Donabate is pretty low so we avoid. The fruit & veg section will often have mouldy items left there and the doors on the fridges are frequently left open so refrigerated items are not v cold.

On a positive note we have very good pharmacies and a post office.
Davi

Star wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 22:37 The farmers market today is a great addition to Donabate. It was so well run and had such a lovely atmosphere up there.
I'm new here in Donabate, where is the farmers market exactly? Does it open every saturday?

Thanks.
Star

Davi wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 13:14
Star wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 22:37 The farmers market today is a great addition to Donabate. It was so well run and had such a lovely atmosphere up there.
I'm new here in Donabate, where is the farmers market exactly? Does it open every saturday?

Thanks.
Hi and welcome to the area.

Saturdays market was the 1st day. It is on the ground of the old Turvey Golf Club. the entrance is half way along Truvey Avenue between the train station and the petrol station.

It is running every Saturday until Christmas from 11 - 4. Look up Dexter Farmers Market on facebook, it should pop up with all the details.