Yet Another Power Cut

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
jack white

It's getting ridiculous.

One power cut every four or five years is probably understandable. But lately it's been one every four or five weeks.

It surely indicates a problem with ESB's local infrastructure. It's simply too frequent for any other explanation.
Ken
Site Admin

I would agree. The timing today couldn't have been worse this morning trying to get out to work and get kids to school.
Regards,

Ken.
Pip

Pure madness and they just keep building more houses. I wonder do these new residents know what they are in for. Parting with their hard earned cash. I suppose it helps in cutting back on the electricty bills. ( There has to be an up side ). :lol: :cry:
Newguy29

Hi,

Apart from lately - how often per year does the area have water and ESB outages?

Thanks
Pip

It would be interesting to know the exact figures. But I reckon power outages would be 8 times a year. Water maybe 5/6 times a year. With 4 being planned 2/3 due to burst mains. There is never a reason for ESB outages normally the recorded message just says " known fault " I would love to know the real reason.
Newguy29

Wow power outages for 8 times a year is an awful lot. Hopefully that improves as the area expands.
Pip

I wouldn't bet on it :lol:
jayflame

It's ironic, we also get water outages that should lead to boil water notices.
In this day and age, we pay for and suffer these outages that one would expect in Tristan da Cunha
Pip

Water water everywhere. Except the tap. AGAIN. Anyone know why ?
diggerbarnes

It's pumping out of the ground at the top of the Beaverstown Road.
Essexboy

This is what happens when you put in a new PE Water main and connect it to an old cast iron main.... too much pressure.... too costly to replace it all through out Donabate/portrane so look forward to a few more small leaks.... 👍🏻👍🏻
Ken
Site Admin

Looks like it's off until 4 p.m. tomorrow. Drove down Beaverstown Road about an hour ago and there is nobody working on a repair. You couldn't make this up. That means heading to work tomorrow without a shower.

Update from Irish Water.
Burst Water Main - Dublin
Water Outage
Repairs to a burst water main may cause supply disruptions to Main Street, New Road, Beaverstown Road, Ballisk, Barnewall and surrounding areas in Donabate, Co. Dublin.

Works have an estimated completion time of 4pm on 25 February.

We recommend that you allow 2-3 hours after the estimated restoration time for your supply to fully return.
Regards,

Ken.
Pip

I agree. It's pure madness if it's not power it's the water. It's really starting to get on my nerves now. Really feel like we have been abandoned by the powers that be. Mainly Fingal Co Co.
jayflame

Is it worth reinstating the old water pump in village center?
Might be ground water, but it's water and you'll have to boil it anyway
Paulo

Maybe water charges may not have been a bad idea after all
Ken
Site Admin

Paulo wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 09:48 Maybe water charges may not have been a bad idea after all
Maybe if we were sure that the charges would go towards improving the water infrastructure unlike motor tax that just goes into the general tax take rather than going solely to improving roads. We're already a high tax economy and I can understand people's frustration with yet another tax.

The other problem is the lack of funding over decades for our water supply. Even with sufficient funding, fixing the problem is far from easy. We saw that when the water main along the Beaverstown Road had to be replaced a couple of years ago. It took around 6 months in total and caused a lot of disruption.
Regards,

Ken.
Spider

It's beyond a joke at this stage. Kids being sent home from school at 10 because of water being cut off. We really shouldn't have to put up with this on such a regular basis. It's not going to get any better while we continue to pack more and more people into the area. Paying water charges wouldn't make a bit of difference. That money would be sucked up into general tax like everything else. Why did they leave it until 9 this mornibg to send a crew out to fix it? We don't even register in FCC's radar.
Spider

Not due back until 6pm now. It's just not good enough.
Purple Lady

Ken wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 09:53
Paulo wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 09:48 Maybe water charges may not have been a bad idea after all
Maybe if we were sure that the charges would go towards improving the water infrastructure unlike motor tax that just goes into the general tax take rather than going solely to improving roads. We're already a high tax economy and I can understand people's frustration with yet another tax.

The other problem is the lack of funding over decades for our water supply. Even with sufficient funding, fixing the problem is far from easy. We saw that when the water main along the Beaverstown Road had to be replaced a couple of years ago. It took around 6 months in total and caused a lot of disruption.
Water charges were not a tax, the money did not go into general taxation, they were a charge fixed by government and paid directly to Irish Water. When they were scrapped Irish Water refunded money back to those who had paid. The refund was nice but I would have preferred if they had the money to do planned upgrades.
Sunny

Midnight tomorrow....disgraceful
blow-in

Just keep building houses, that'll resolve all. 30 mins trying to get home from gates of Newbridge, another 30 min before home. Planning! 8-) :geek:
Spider

FCC saying midnight tonight, IW saying tomorrow night.
funiek18

Start build more villages and only one road. If something will be happened besides Church and needs to block whole road where will be diversion placed? Many thanks for that. 75 minutes took me back home.
Pip

I know I'm a sad example. But out of curiosity. I had a look back back to see when people first started talking about water outages and I found this.

Jump to post
by Ken
03 Sep 2015, 19:58
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Still no Water
Replies: 8
Views: 1782
Still no Water
No water at the top of the Beaverstown Road since early afternoon due to yet another major leak. I'm thinking of heading down to Rogerstown for a wash. Does soap lather in salt water?

Hopefully it's back shortly.

Did the Soap lather Ken ? :lol:
pat mustard

this is really becoming a pain in the hole between power and water. 15 years here.

sick of it all, nothing gets better, same shite. only to get worse.

i've deleted all the stuff I wrote below on a rant. apart from Happy Pancake Tuesday,

Happy Pancake Tuesday,