Supermarket self-service

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Peter V

Just a comment that using doing your own checkout work so the supermarket doesn't have to is facilitating the cutting of hours for people working on the checkouts in the interest of profits.

It used to be a choice of convenience for people in a hurry to get out fast with one or two items. Lately there is often no choice with one staff member standing around while no one is being paid to work the tills.
Macktheknife

So agree with this comment. Sad for staff losing hours & pay. Both staff & customers seem to have become an inconvenience to supermarkets ! Being forced to use these tills by SuperValu in Donabate who have been making a huge profit for years as there is no where else in the village. One Sunday morning I had large basket of shopping & told by staff member who looked about 12 that no option but to use self service till. Left basket of shopping with her & went elsewhere. Have not been back to SuperValu since & I’ve lived in village since 2004. SuperValu need BIG wake up call. Will customers be asked to stock shelves next ?
jayflame

Certainly is painful at times using this store.
Other branches always seem to have the stock I seek.
More often than not, this branch has poor stock levels or is just struggling to meet the demand of the ever increasing population?

And these self service tills are faster than other branches.

Always find the staff pleasant and helpful.
Scarlett

I try to avoid this shop now whenever possible. I prefer to drive to Swords. Cannot believe how poor their stock control is. Shopping on a Monday at any time is a nightmare with seemingly dozens of people stocking shelves but no one at the tills. Also I am sick of offers not going through at the till and going home to find I was charged full price!
Added to that I have heard staff members discussing other staff members on a few occasions right beside a queue of customers.
I wish another supermarket would come in to the village.
Its EB

Same here, I hate using the store. I only do if I'm really stuck. There's no room in the store and most of the time the isles are filled up with staff stacking the shelves during busy periods. And don't get me started about the self service tills, they never work and then you are left there with a stuck screen and nobody comes over to swipe the scanner so you can scan your other goods. They would have been better off keeping the same amount of tills and had the self service machines put somewhere else. You are already paying a premium to shop there so at least they should have working machines or sufficient numbers of staff.

Has there been any word since on the supermarket which was planned to open beside the train station/Turvey Avenue?
diggerbarnes

Meanwhile, in a country near you ....

https://www.unicef.ie/donate/donate-syria/#1

Get a grip the lot of you.
Peter V

Are you serious?
Mr. Stupid

diggerbarnes wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 17:25 Meanwhile, in a country near you ....

https://www.unicef.ie/donate/donate-syria/#1

Get a grip the lot of you.
I shouldn't laugh; but I can't help it.
Heisenberg

On 2 occasions in the last few weeks I have been overcharged. Queried price with the staff member, rather than check the price on the shelf the girl just voided the sale and entered the product in as bakery so she could enter the price I said it was. While the issue was solved for me at the time, one might ask how common this is and that the staff member had the authority to perform such action without the authorization of a manager/supervisor. I'm reluctant to shop in Supervalu and when I do I always check the prices. It seems overcharging happens on the special offers also.
Paulo

I think these claims are exaggerated. I have never had a bad experience in there. Every large supermarket has self service tills and we are going to see a lot more of them in future. We have all heard "unexpected item in the bagging area" but generally they work fine and in my experience there is always a staff member supervising that area if something goes wrong.
Real first world problems here :roll:
lofty

Slightly off topic but the overcharging mentioned by others is a real problem, i have been overcharged frequently. I checked my bill on approx €50 basket of bits and the discrepancy was around €12 overcharged!. When i spoke to the lady who I think is a supervisor she explained the specials that are put on the prices at the shelf are not updated always on the till. I said is the only way i can be sure i will not be overcharged is by reading each price item and she said "that is the only way i can assure you it won't happen again"!!.
Beenthere

I sent them an email over a week ago via head office, still waiting a response. Shows how much they care about their shoppers!
Sunny G

specials are stocked on shelves a day or two before it actually goes on management needs to sort it
the shop is cutting costs all around

@lofty it is likely to occur again