Train service from Donabate to Connolly Station

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Ken
Site Admin

mirror wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 12:43 Ken , is there a date at which the Dart will be extended to Donabate because I moved into Donabate over 20 years ago and ive been listening to that story for years
I've no idea. I'm in Donabate 20 years myself and have been hearing that it's on the horizon all that time. It doesn't seem to be any closer.
Regards,

Ken.
Big_Mick

While the frequency of trains on the DART sounds attractive, do we really want to have to stop at every station the whole way into town?

I am sure that if DART were to arrive, we will lose our diesel services.
kenny

I agree, why would we want the Dart? I'm convinced once we have another 5-10k living in Donabate, this will be last stop on the way into the city. Even getting on in Donabate will be difficult. There will definitely be no point in stopping in Malahide anymore and they will lose the diesel service first.
RochelleD-Jones

As we are talking trains,
Do you know would you get a space at the car park in the train station in the morning ? or is it always full by say 8am ?

Thanks
Batman3

RochelleD-Jones wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 16:09 As we are talking trains,
Do you know would you get a space at the car park in the train station in the morning ? or is it always full by say 8am ?

Thanks
Plenty of spaces in the car park at the moment at least... you pay a small sum for the privilege though...
welcome to the area. Hope you get a reply to your other post.
Sleepy

RochelleD-Jones, as Batman3 says, there's plenty of parking in the station. At current usage levels it's never more than 2/3rds full. Parking costs €30 a month with Apcoa and it's far from unusual to see cars clamped so they obviously keep a close eye on it.
RochelleD-Jones

great, thank you for the feedback and help guys, really appreciate it.

with creches closing at 6pm and needing to get back ASAP to collect the little one I think driving is going to be best option for me.

Really looking forward to moving up now and settling into village life .
Bawner

Diesel trains would need to stop at at least one dart station to allow people get dart to stations like Raheny or Killester. At present that's Malahide. It makes sense.

On a different note, new timetable not great -we're cursed at the moment as even a short delay in dart ahead means we're crawling behind one into or out of city.

There is also the option of hopping off at Malahide and getting a seat on dart if you don't mind getting to town that bit later.
Newguy29

Hi,

I am looking into buying in the Donabate area so I’m researching the transport issues currently in the area. I would be traveling by train into the city centre if I was to move to Donabate.
When trains are described as being ‘packed’ in the mornings - does this mean a lot of times people cannot physically fit onto the train or is it just an uncomfortable journey at present due to very little space being available? Also, are all trains in the morning like this? For example would the 7.17 and 7.30 trains be packed or is just the 7.39 onwards trains that are like this?

Thanks in advance
albert

I've been living in Donabate since May & was / still am worried about transport.

The small towns in North Co. Dublin are commuter towns, so expect a lot of passengers. That'll increase as development continues.

To answer your question - I was surprised at the space on trains when I moved here. Rarely you'll find a seat, but if you're in the right carriage you might find someone getting off at Malahide. There's always been enough space for more passengers. And during summer hols, I got a seat most days.

Note, I usually get the 8:33, 9:02, or 7:39.
I've found 7:30 & 8:14 to be very busy.

In the evening times - trains departing Pearse have all seats occupied during rush hour.

Morning / evenings post rush hour. There's always loads of seats.

That said - population set to double in the coming 5-10 years.

Irish rail supposedly about to order additional carriages & they claim electrification to Drogheda is scheduled by 2027.
diggerbarnes

If a seat is a particular issue, jump off at Malahide and grab the next Dart out.
Newguy29

Thank you both for your feedback. I doubt it’s that much different to Dublin in general, just want to research fully.
Macktheknife

Can’t get over all the new new houses in Donabate being sold on basis of getting on train into town. Someone should sue developers for false advertising. Standing room only from first train at 6.36. After 9 only one train an hour into Connolly. Good luck getting on a train into town & apologies if you want to go anywhere else. EamonRyan / Green Party - you don’t need to live in the country to need a car. Try living in Donabate in Co. Dublin!
archik

Not sure if I'm looking at the wrong timetable, but it seems to me that there is a train every 30 minutes after 09:00 a.m. into Connolly from Donabate.
Brickers

I find the Irish Rail App good and easy to follow. The timetables on the website can be confusing 👍🏻
Peter V

The idea of changing at Malahide is interesting, especially now with the increased overcrowding and frequent terminations of service at Connolly. Anyone doing this regularly?
Quello Serio

Peter V wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 16:21 The idea of changing at Malahide is interesting, especially now with the increased overcrowding and frequent terminations of service at Connolly. Anyone doing this regularly?
I did it once. Thought I was fierce clever. Then the dart I was on pulled over in clongriffin and sat for 10 minutes until the Commuter train sailed past. FFSK. External decorum was maintained, but I'm still traumatised and I didn't do it again.
gruffalo

Macktheknife wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 19:38 Can’t get over all the new new houses in Donabate being sold on basis of getting on train into town. Someone should sue developers for false advertising. Standing room only from first train at 6.36. After 9 only one train an hour into Connolly. Good luck getting on a train into town & apologies if you want to go anywhere else. EamonRyan / Green Party - you don’t need to live in the country to need a car. Try living in Donabate in Co. Dublin!
We are thinking of moving to the area and I currently commute to/from Portmarnock to Pearse on the DART. I plan on continuing to get the train in and out, more than likely the 07:17 train from Donabate. I am not worried about getting a seat but is this a busy service, as in are there normally crowds of people waiting to get on it and what is the car park like at this time of the morning, are there spaces available?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.
You know it’s cold outside when you go outside and it’s cold.
Flatfoot

You may be lucky and get a seat but I wouldnt bet on it. On the plus side the car parks are big so no problem on that front
gruffalo

As long as I am able to get on the train, I am not worried about a seat, I sit all day :lol:

Thanks.
You know it’s cold outside when you go outside and it’s cold.