New bus service to the city Centre

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
CommunityCouncil

3931F109-70D2-4FEE-96D2-DF79A4E11C05.jpeg
3931F109-70D2-4FEE-96D2-DF79A4E11C05.jpeg (45.31 KiB) Viewed 11598 times
The granting of a licence to private coach operator Eirebus to operate direct services from Donabate to the city has been welcomed.
Donabate Portrane Community Council initiated contact with Eirebus last year, in a bid to encourage it to apply for permission to provide services on the peninsula.
Donabate Portrane Community Council has also been encouraging the National Transport Authority to approve additional services.
Eirebus has now been granted a licence by the National Transport Authority to operate an express bus service and has had bus stop approvals granted by Dublin City Council and Fingal County Council.
Eirebus operations director Jeff Clarke told the community council: “We were granted bus stop approval by Dublin City Council this week – the final piece in the puzzle. We can now plan for a start date on our side.”
Because of the necessity for confidentiality, Donabate Portrane Community Council has been unable to comment on the licensing process up to now.
A spokesman for the community council said: “This is great news for people on the peninsula as there is a chronic infrastructure deficit in the area, and an especially acute problem when it comes to public transport.”
The community council has been actively pursuing improvements in public transport on the peninsula for some time now.
The community council said: “We have engaged directly with the various transport providers and stakeholders on everyone’s behalf.
“We did so on foot of numerous complaints received from many residents about serious train overcrowding, the need for more direct buses, and numerous performance and reliability issues with local buses.”
As part of its work, Donabate Portrane Community Council has complained to Go-Ahead and the National Transport Authority over frequent issues with punctuality and reliability of the 33B.
While there are more services timetabled under this regime than previously under Dublin Bus, experiences of buses turning up late or not at all are unacceptable, the community council said.
“The excuses offered for the poor service are flimsy. This is a most unsatisfactory situation as it impacts young and old alike on what is perhaps the shortest bus route in the Dublin area.”
A deputation from Donabate Portrane Community Council also recently met with senior management directly in Iarnród Éireann to discuss train overcrowding, and attended a presentation given by them to the Public Participation Network in Fingal County Council HQ last June.
In the last two years, Donabate Portrane Community Council wrote repeatedly to Dublin Bus requesting additional services be provided on the 33D route to augment the overcrowded train services.
The responses to these were most disappointing, the community council said.
Dublin Bus acknowledged the arguments were well made and said it was monitoring the situation.
But the State bus company gave no commitment to expand the number of buses beyond the current one a day in each direction.
“We are at a loss to understand why they won’t expand the service when a clear, demonstrable and sustained demand exists,” the community council spokesman added.

Details of the timetable, bus stops and bus route can be found in the images below.
pat mustard

cant see link?

great news.
Zo123

Sounds great.
Any idea what the route is?
aoifey

i welcome this extra service. cant for the life of me understand why extra transport planning isnt a requirement of every planning application on this peninsula and not an afterthought. but then i remember we live in ireland.

my only concern is as follows
will the 33D service provided by dublin bus stop altogether?

If and when that happens and if and when Eirebus drop one and then both of these new services, what happens then?

i know this is worse case scenario, but i think realistically it could happen, particularly if Dublin Bus drop their service. I think more pressure should have been put on Dublin bus to increase their services.
CommunityCouncil

C565C436-1A65-4B77-B1C9-5AA0D732D889.jpeg
C346896B-3B30-4C76-B946-FCBAAFD391BE.jpeg
C565C436-1A65-4B77-B1C9-5AA0D732D889.jpeg
Attachments
F5EAC391-430C-4826-A2ED-815B4F6629CF.jpeg
Derek

aoifey wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 10:44 i welcome this extra service. cant for the life of me understand why extra transport planning isnt a requirement of every planning application on this peninsula and not an afterthought. but then i remember we live in ireland.

my only concern is as follows
will the 33D service provided by dublin bus stop altogether?

If and when that happens and if and when Eirebus drop one and then both of these new services, what happens then?

i know this is worse case scenario, but i think realistically it could happen, particularly if Dublin Bus drop their service. I think more pressure should have been put on Dublin bus to increase their services.
The 33D is a well loaded service already and has staved off threatened withdrawal on previous occasions.. I wouldn't see it in conflict with the new bus because it doesn't run at the same times and has attractions to a different customer set.

Eirebus is licenced by the NTA to run both services and they would be in breach of that licence if they discarded any or all services, which would result in sanction from the NTA.

If Dublin Bus dropped its service in the "worst case scenario" you mention then that would add to Eirebus customer base and enhance it, not diminish it. The reality is Dublin Bus wouldn't supply additional buses and going this route was the only realistic option available to the community,.

If I have one minor criticism of the licence awarded, it is the need for buses later than the two granted because trains between 7:45 am to 9am are full. In particular, a bus from Portrane at 08:25 is badly needed. That isn't the fault of the applicants here who I understand pursued four buses daily in each direction. The NTA obviously didn't accept the valid arguments that were made for this.

I absolutely agree with you about transport considerations and their provision being a requirement for planning, but we live in a country where proper planning doesn't happen for anything.

And I've got to pay tribute to the community council here. They have obviously worked very hard on this and succeeded where other local activists and representatives haven't. That is no mean feat.
pat mustard

this genuinely sounds like great news for the area with no catches. Well done to all involved.
Peter V

In principle this service is good news but it appears to be operating on almost the same route and within 20 minutes of the 33D. Hard to see the benefit and possibly a threat to the existing service which was hard fought to retain.
An hour or 90 minutes between them would have made more sense - unless the point is to take numbers from the 33D.
aoifey

Peter V wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 00:33 In principle this service is good news but it appears to be operating on almost the same route and within 20 minutes of the 33D. Hard to see the benefit and possibly a threat to the existing service which was hard fought to retain.
An hour or 90 minutes between them would have made more sense - unless the point is to take numbers from the 33D.
yep, i agree. in principle its great news and i thank the community council for working on this. it's amusing to see a local rep claiming credit for this when from what i heard the community council were the ones who did most/all of the work. but that's politicians for you :lol:

having said all that, my understanding is that Go Ahead are struggling to retain drivers due to significantly better employment benefits provided by the state operator (please correct me if i'm wrong on that, but i have heard it from several people). and i would have this concern for any new operator to the market.

if this new service takes people away from the 33D in any way, then i believe it will be the excuse needed for dublin bus to pull the service.

i predict this time next year we will no longer have the 33d.
hopefully though the eirebus service will be working well and will have expanded.
Derek

aoifey wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 09:42
if this new service takes people away from the 33D in any way, then i believe it will be the excuse needed for dublin bus to pull the service.

i predict this time next year we will no longer have the 33d.
hopefully though the eirebus service will be working well and will have expanded.
On what basis are you making this assessment?

The new services are separated from the 33D and not in direct competition. If you know anything about the licencing process, you'll know the NTA is careful not to place new services in direct competition with existing ones.

The 33D is sustaining itself as is and has faced down threats of cessation in the past. The population of the area is growing and the trains are full. Demand for buses is only going to go one way.
Summersunshine

Does anybody see services towards the airport, dcu coming.. Access to these large scale employers would have massive boost for the community. We are so close yet inaccessible.. Makes no sense
Beba

Completely agree a bus service to DCU is a priority, with all the young adults of the area in further education. At the moment they have to rely on GoAhead punctuality to make the connector in Swords, and we know how that works... It can take up to 2 hours on a bad day to get to DCU, it's a disgrace.
Sunny

It is to welcomed but it is going to struggle. The advantage of the 33D is that I can use my annual bus and ticket so both are available to me on a daily basis. To use this bus, I will need a separate ticket or keep cash on my leap card. People will more than likely have to choose between a ticket for the train or a ticket for this bus for regular commuting or just use this service occasionally. I know I wont be buying a monthly or annual ticket for it because it wont give me the trains.
Séamus Mac Brádaigh

Congratulations to Eirebus on the new bus service which started today. A huge thank you to Donabate Portrane Community Council which worked very hard to get this much needed service for the community. I look forward to trying the new bus soon.
Macktheknife

Great idea to have another bus into town in the morning but why oh why is it running so close to the Dublin bus timetable? Perfect excuse for Dublin bus to stop their service which they have wanted to do for ages. Given that the first train into town is now standing room only from Donabate why not run a bus @ 6.30am into town? Plenty of takers I would imagine from those standing on 6.36 train 😀
Newguy29

How has the new EireBus service been since it started? Can people still get on in the mornings in Donabate village?
Beenthere

Caught the second one a couple of times - got a seat no problem. As someone else said wish there was an earlier one around 645 or so. Very comfortable though.
Peter V

The new eirbus service seems to have taken a substantial proportion of the usual customers from the 33d - maybe more than half. Would be interested to know what anyone who uses it more regularly thinks.
Ken
Site Admin

Potentially looking to use this service. How busy is the later bus in the mornings and the how are the two services home in the evenings?

TIA.
Regards,

Ken.
Ken
Site Admin

To answer my own question after using the service for a couple of days. I got the later bus in the morning that passes through the village around 7.55. It was about half full at best on both days. It gets into Pearse Street at 8.40 which isn't bad. That's a little later than scheduled as it gets held up in heavy traffic around the Convention Centre.

I got the earlier evening bus yesterday that leaves Pearse Street at 17:26. There was about 15 people on it. I got the later service today that leaves Pearse Street around 18:15. There were only 8 people on it. The earlier bus gets into Donabate around 18:10 and the later one at 18:55.

It's a great service, but not fully utilised so I wonder how long it will continue.
Regards,

Ken.
kenny

45 minutes relaxing in comfort on a bus each way sounds like it's about 5000x better than the train. Why is nobody using it? I guess the tax saver annual train pass just makes the train more affordable? I work in town but mostly cycle so I'm not sure what the costs are?
Ken
Site Admin

It works out at €4 per journey and you can use a Leap Card. You can buy a 10 journey ticket for €35 and there is an option for an annual ticket.
Regards,

Ken.
Sunny

Yeah but the annual ticket is nearly the same price as an annual dublin bus and irish rail ticket. Just not worth it for a bus with such limited service including none at weekends. If you could combine it with a rail ticket then maybe but just too restrictive for anyone that buys an annual tax saver.