Newbridge farm animals blocked from view

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
paceman

There is a new fence going up in Newbride blocking the view of the animals from the walk along side it. It is apparently going the whole way around the area. I have contacted Fingal county council parks department to voice my opposition, it was a great amenity that the kids loved and to cover it up is a step in the wrong direction for the park IMO. If you feel the same then I suggest you give them a buzz to voice your opposition too - council number (01) 890 5000.
Attachments
2019-02-22 15.26.15.jpg
DonnaB

This is disgraceful...is it Fingal co.co. or Shannon heritage running the show? Time for the councillors to stand up and sort it out.. it's too big an amenity to residents to just give away!
DonnaB

Petition just started up...
http://chng.it/KhHqwdfL
pat mustard

WT fek is the reasoning behind that?
donnelbg

http://clareherald.com/2018/07/shannon- ... lio-24243/

Because If you’re seeing the animals for free, then why would you pay in?

Also explains all the trees being cut down around the place and bushes being cleared.
NeverSurrender

This is a disgrace, it's all to do with the new company taking over and them wanting to make the most out of what they can. Not too mention it's an absolute eye sore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<POST EDITED BY ADMIN>

If you've a problem with the whatsapp group you mentioned contact them, this is not the place for rants like that.

Note that we have no connection to that group, and I'm not a member of it.

-Ann
Viking10

Bloody vandalism.
kenny

This is hoax, or just a bad picture made to make it look really bad. There is a new fence with a new sign 'do not feed the animals'. The holes are smaller now but you still have full visibility.
kenny

here's a photo from this morning of what it really looks like
Attachments
20190224_094208.jpg
paceman

I wish it was a joke but... the horrible fence starts at the cow-shed (just beyond your picture) and the guys putting it up said it was going to go the entire way around to prevent people feeding the animals. Presumably they will be back to finish their work tomorrow - great to see the online petition gaining momentum, hopefully it will make a difference!
Ken
Site Admin

Also got a mention on Dublinlive.ie

https://www.dublinlive.ie/locals-call-r ... g-15879626
Regards,

Ken.
blowin1

If this is due to people feeding the animals, why didnt they just put up another fence say 1 foot in from the original fence, using same type of wire fencing and then peoples views of the animals wouldnt be obstructed ???
Ken
Site Admin

I haven't heard that the feeding itself is causing a problem, however, it does mean that the animals congregate down the back of the fields. Great for those out walking, but not great if you've paid in and then realise that you'd get a better view of the animals in the meadow fields if you took a walk around the back for nothing.

I can't see a cheap bamboo type fence changing any of this and only appears to be causing bad feeling with the locals.
Regards,

Ken.
DonnaB

20190225_164549.jpg
Busy at work in Newbridge Park today..... we just lost the next two fields!
Attachments
Untitled1.png
diggerbarnes

And to add insult to injury, we are paying for it!
bronorton

The lack of an annual pass is also somewhat of a disgrace. It wasn't replaced when the Shannon took over and I was told by one of the staff "its not something they seem interested in".

An annual pass would have me there numerous times of the year and likely get them more trade in the coffee shop etc. the lack of this makes me alot less likely to go
RochelleD-Jones

bronorton wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 09:20 The lack of an annual pass is also somewhat of a disgrace. It wasn't replaced when the Shannon took over and I was told by one of the staff "its not something they seem interested in".

An annual pass would have me there numerous times of the year and likely get them more trade in the coffee shop etc. the lack of this makes me alot less likely to go
exactly this. I would be buying an annual pass if they did one. Such a shame.
Banana

Newbridge is a fantastic amenity and like most local families we're up there a lot between parkrun, playground, walks, bike rides etc. but 15 euros to walk around the farm is pretty steep or 18.50 if you've 3 kids and that's before you buy an ice cream or go for coffee.. makes for an expensive afternoon

but if there was an annual pass I'd happily buy one

or even include a tea in the café and a kids cordial in the admission price ( both cheap as chips as most people would end up buying more in the café- win win !! )
Quello Serio

Technically, there is a Cafe and there is a Shop, but jaysus what a miserable effort, especially when compared to what Malahide castle has on offer.

Someone was told to stock a gift shop, and they did the bare minimum. Any more than three people in the queue for coffee, and the whole system falls apart.
DonnaB

An simple open wire fence set back from the first would do the job!
Any screen/ hedge to block the view is clearly NOT about protecting the animals, its about driving up the revenue to the farm! #FakeNews
paceman

Agree with DonnaB. Reducing the size of this new fence and adding a hedge will not be a satisfactory solution, as the current obstruction will still remain in some form and a second obstruction, a hedge, will be introduced. In the end, this will still result in blocking the view and removing the amenity from the public. A simple open wire fence set back from the first is the only option that I have read so far that would be acceptable to the public and protect the animals, anything that doesn't satisfy these 2 criteria suggests an ulterior motive
Beenthere

My problem with the theory of stopping the public from feeding the animals is that the people on the inside are feeding the animals too so sounds like bs to me! We were one the idiots who took out the annual pass a couple of years it was so badly run we didn’t even receive a pass nothing! We used to go up to Newbridge to the CAFÉ and into the farm will be avoiding it until they loose their smallmindedness. Own goal for Newbridge I think.
Ken
Site Admin

There are far more sensible ways to stop people feeding the animals than erecting a bamboo fence. The likes of goats will eat through that very quickly.
Regards,

Ken.
Defcom

it has noting to do with feeding the animals that's just a diversion.