Public Meeting - Planning Moratorium - Tuesday 26th

CommunityCouncil

Donabate Portrane Community Council is inviting all members of our community to a Public Meeting in the Parish Hall, Donabate, on February 26th at 8pm.

The purpose of the meeting is to discuss a moratorium on the granting of planning permission by the local authority on multi-unit planning applications.

We are only asking that no further planning permissions for multi-unit projects are granted until such time as the (Donabate Distributor Road) DDR is complete and the existing road at the railway bridge has been widened as conditioned on the granting of the NFMHS by An Bord Pleanála.

We are asking the community to attend this meeting so that our voices can be heard by elected local representatives and nominees for the upcoming local elections.

The format of the meeting will be one where priority speaking time at the meeting will be given to members of the community, rather than to speeches by politicians and aspiring politicians.

Construction traffic is compromising the road safety of our community. This is evidenced by the state the roads are being left in on a daily basis by certain construction sites.

It is essential that our voices are heard loud and clear.
pat mustard

Considering the Donabate Distributor road is opening up the area, and its 2019, does anyone know which sort of bike lanes are going to be on it when built?
    Is it the segregated lanes ones, very safe.
      Is it the painted a different colour ones, safe enough.
        IS the the normalish ones , white line seperator with bike signs along it.
          or is it, there wont be any as its not the Southside, everyone drives ,no one feels safe to cycle so drive instead, so just lump it, despite a brand new road passing thru a large planned suburban/estates/services area in the new future .
          Seamus

Great to see this. Should be an interesting evening.
          Ann O
          Site Admin

pat mustard wrote: 22 Feb 2019, 18:09 Considering the Donabate Distributor road is opening up the area, and its 2019, does anyone know which sort of bike lanes are going to be on it when built?
          I walked along a completed section of the road the other day. It looks very narrow to be accommodating any cycle lanes on the roadway. Hopefully it's your suggested segregated option, but I've a feeling it'll be the last option. :roll:
          Seamus

Looking forward to attending this meeting tonight. Great to see the elected representatives and the public coming together to demand better development standards for the area.
          cbc

Ann O wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 00:24
          pat mustard wrote: 22 Feb 2019, 18:09 Considering the Donabate Distributor road is opening up the area, and its 2019, does anyone know which sort of bike lanes are going to be on it when built?
          I walked along a completed section of the road the other day. It looks very narrow to be accommodating any cycle lanes on the roadway. Hopefully it's your suggested segregated option, but I've a feeling it'll be the last option. :roll:
          I really hope they are putting in a decent cycle lane, in the last few weeks any time i drive in or out on either Hearse Rd or Turvey Ave i'm meeting cyclists and/or runners on the road. We are really lacking safe facilities for them.
          Sleepy

Unless they plan to run the cycle lane the full length of the Hearse Road, there's no real point in putting on onto the new distributor road. In fact, it could lead to more problems than not having one at all by encouraging more cyclists to put their lives at risk by cycling along the Hearse Road.
          Quello Serio

They put bicycle lanes and tunnels in place when the motorway junction was built, so yes, I would expect them to run a bicycle lane the full length of the Hearse road, and along the distributor road.

Properly designed and built cycle infrastructure would not put cyclists at risk.
          Derek

I couldn't make the meeting last night although I hear comment that some reps wouldn't support Moratorium.

Anyone who was there care to share their experiences?
          Seamus

It was a very good meeting. There was a lot of anger about the lack of investment in infrastructure. In terms of the moratorium, of the councillors who attended, only Paul Mulville (SocDem) was in favour of it. Cathal Boland (Ind) and Adrian Henchy (FF) were against the moratorium. Darragh O'Brien, TD and Senator Lorraine Clifford Lee (both FF) also attended the meeting and were both against the moratorium. There were also three candidates for the next local elections at the meeting who were all in favour of the moratorium - Bob Dowling (FG), Corina Johnston (Lab) and an independent candidate whose name I didn't catch.
          TheBlowIn

What I took from the meeting was that a moratorium may not be legal, and even if it is legal it may not be effective. However, in the absence of any other instrument it might keep the pressure on Fingal to provide infrastructure which is so badly needed.

There was a lot of "can't do, won't do", or else vague aspirational speeches, from the candidates that spoke which was a bit depressing. Anyone who can propose positive options that they can actually deliver (or help the community deliver) will get my vote. The development levies provided by Donabate developments must be enormous at this stage, yet there's little evidence of this being put back into infrastructure or even basic improvements to services. Charlie Weston is right, we're being taken for a ride...
          aoifey

TheBlowIn wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 22:57 What I took from the meeting was that a moratorium may not be legal, and even if it is legal it may not be effective. However, in the absence of any other instrument it might keep the pressure on Fingal to provide infrastructure which is so badly needed.
          i think you're right. i think those calling for a moratorium probably know its never going to happen but as you say its the only tool we as a community seem to have. keeps the pressure on in some form.
          i dont understand how some politicians who attended that meeting would not support the community in calling for a moratorium. surely for those seeking office, working with the community rather than against it is in their best interests.
          CommunityCouncil

A public meeting in Donabate has endorsed a call for a temporary moratorium on new large-scale planning applications on the peninsula.

Residents want the chronic infrastructural deficits dealt with before more large developments are granted permission.

Donabate Portrane Community Council has proposed a ban on new planning permissions being granted for large-scale projects until the Donabate Distributor Road is complete and the existing road at the railway bridge has been widened, which is a condition attached to the granting of permission for the National Forensic Mental Health Hospital in Portrane.

The meeting was called to discuss the community council’s proposed moratorium.

In reaction to the community council’s moratorium call, a motion calling on Fingal County Council to impose a temporary moratorium has now been submitted by Cllr Paul Mulville (Soc Dem).

The public meeting voted overwhelmingly to endorse the sentiments of the motion.

Those at the meeting heard that Donabate had generated €15.5m in rates and development levies last year, yet the operational expenditure budget for this year for the peninsula is less than €180,000.

As a peninsula, Donabate has one road in and one road out.

The community is concerned at the volume of HGVs on the roads.

A number of attendees voiced concerns at the lack of management of the volume of construction traffic. Concerns were highlighted about the poor state of the roads, paths and public transport infrastructure.

Senator Lorraine Clifford Lee (FF) said she has regularly raised issues regarding trains, buses and road infrastructure for the area.

Cllr Adrian Henchy (FF) told the meeting he was not in favour of the motion.
          He outlined how Fingal had wanted a condition for a haul road for the construction of the National Forensic Mental Health Hospital. He said that An Bord Pleanála had over-ruled Fingal and taken this condition out of the planning permission.

Deputy Darragh O’Brien (FF) said he had raised the issue of the moratorium with Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy TD. The minister stated he could not impose a moratorium. Deputy O’Brien said he was not in favour of a moratorium.

Cllr Paul Mulville, who proposed the moratorium motion to be discussed by Fingal County Council, said he supported the concept of a moratorium until such time as the distributor road is complete, in the third quarter of this year.

Cllr Cathal Boland said that much to his disappointment, after 14 years the road had not yet been delivered. He recognised the frustrations of the community, but could not support the moratorium.

Local area rep Corina Johnston (Lab) outlined the work she has been doing over the past two years advocating on behalf of the community and how she supports the moratorium.

Local Area Rep Bob Dowling (FG) outlined the advocacy work he has been doing over the last 20 years for the community and stated he strongly supports the moratorium.

Glenn Brady, an independent candidate, outlined his correspondence with the council and his support for the moratorium.

The public meeting was told Donabate Portrane Community Council is not opposed to housing.

It wants sustainable development and proposals for Ballymastone, which will see social and affordable housing built, will not be impacted by any moratorium as this is going through a tendering process and no planning applications will be submitted directly to An Bord Pleanála until next year.

The meeting was advised that as the planning authority, Fingal County Council is not prohibited from refusing planning permission based on lack of infrastructure.

Further advice was given that the minister has no power over decisions made by the planning authority, and that in fact there is no legal impediment on Fingal County Council from adopting a moratorium.
          bronorton

Thanks for that

"Those at the meeting heard that Donabate had generated €15.5m in rates and development levies last year, yet the operational expenditure budget for this year for the peninsula is less than €180,000.

As a peninsula, Donabate has one road in and one road out."

This quote alone shows what a ridiculous situation Fingal CC have put us in
          jayflame

Any chance in getting this raised again considering recent destruction of hedgerows on New Road, and the disruption caused by road resurfacing?

There's enough construction going on at present on the peninsular, there should not be any more added until at least one of the current projects is completed.
          Genghis Khan

The people of our little community have the sense to vote for the only local who didn’t support this mean spirited moratorium.
          Ken
          Site Admin

Genghis Khan wrote: 20 May 2019, 16:49 The people of our little community have the sense to vote for the only local who didn’t support this mean spirited moratorium.
          The moratorium was never a runner anyway.
          Regards,

Ken.