Private Patrick Kane 2 Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Discussion for Donabate/Portrane Local History
Donabate Hatter

RIP
Attachments
26.04.2015 Patrick Kane.jpg
alkaline

Like this a lot. Wonder how many D/P people joined up overall.
Donabate Hatter

Hi Alkaline

That's a question to which we will probably never know the answer. As well as the nine that died, (website is not fully up to date on these, that's my next job) I have details on 17 others, some that I know served and there is info on them on the website and some where I have been given a name but to date have not been able to prove that they served.

Needless to say, I am always on the look out for more information!!!!

DH
Ann O
Site Admin

Are there any online databases where you can search by surname for military service records of those who served during World War 1?
Donabate Hatter

Hi Ann

There are, by far the best, IMHO, is Ancestry, but of course you have to pay for that and a lot of the records were destroyed in the Blitz.

If the person in question died, there should be an entry for them on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission 'Debt of Honour' although this is not 100% accurate.

I do research on behalf of the Dublin Western Front Association, so if you want to give me the details you have I will have a look on Ancestry, however, if all you have is a name, unless it is uncommon the chances of being able to be sure you have the right man are quite slim.

DH
Ann O
Site Admin

Thanks DH, I'll try myself and see if I can dig up anything. :)
D'Weldo-Lad

Patrick Kane (Keane) was my Grandfather's uncle. Private Patrick Kane wasn't from Portrane or Donabate. He was from Balheary, Swords, which is/was in the parish of Portrane/Donabate. He later moved to Commons East, Swords before he fought with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers in WW1 and died at the age of 22. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... East/3302/
Donabate Hatter

Hi D'Weldo

Thanks for posting.

I haven't been able to find Patrick's papers so assume they must have been amongst the many that were destroyed during the Blitz, consequently, it is not possible to checked what Patrick entered on his enlistment papers. The 'place of birth' for Patrick was taken from the 'Ireland's Memorial Records' the 'Find My Past' website says this about the records:

The eight volumes of Ireland's Memorial Records were created to preserve and commemorate the memory of the thousands of Irishmen who died during the war. The volumes cover the entire island of Ireland, North and South, and contain the names of 49,647 individuals. Compiled by the Committee of the Irish National War Memorial under the direction of the Earl of Ypres, and published in 1923, the publications serves as a lasting memorial to the thousands of Irishmen who died during the Great War.

The actual details recorded varies from record to record. Name, Rank, Regiment and Regimental Number, and in most cases Place of Birth/County are recorded.

So on that basis I included Patrick on my website, enlistment forms that I have seen asked for the name of the town or parish that the volunteer was born in, and it may well be that what he recorded as his parish of birth was entered in the Memorial Records as his place of birth.

I also run a similar website for the area that I come from in England, and as with the website for Donabate and Portrane, it proved difficult in some circumstances to decide whether or not a man (or occasionally a woman) should be included as being from that area, in the end I decided that I would include them if they were born in or lived in the area at the time of the war, or if they were born in the parish. In view of that I intend to leave Patrick's details on the website, however, I will amend his entry to reflect what you have told me and will also amend the sites title page to show that the site covers the whole parish of Donabate and not just the two villages.

If you look at the website (http://dpitgw.webs.com/) you will see that a Lawrence Kane is also remembered on there, it seems to me that there is circumstantial evidence to indict that Lawrence & Patrick were brothers, would you be able to confirm this? Also, I don't suppose you have any photo's etc of Patrick (or Lawrence if they were brothers.

Regards

Ian Chambers
D'Weldo-Lad

Hi Ian,

Better late than never I suppose. I'mnot too sure about Lawrence but my Father would know better than me. I know he has some written documents about Patrick. as for pictures I'm not sure but I will find out.

David.
Donabate Hatter

Hi David

I would be interested to see copies of any documents etc your Father has.

Regards

Ian
D'Weldo-Lad

I'll certainly look into it
D'Weldo-Lad

Find attached

http://www.interment.net/data/bel/menin ... ords-k.htm

No mention of Lawrence?
Attachments
KANE_PATRICK.pdf
Kane, Patrick
(477.61 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
D'Weldo-Lad

St. Colmcilles graveyard, Swords.
Attachments
Matthew/Patrick Kane
Matthew/Patrick Kane
Mikeyguitar

D'Weldo-Lad wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 16:33 Hi Ian,

Better late than never I suppose. I'mnot too sure about Lawrence but my Father would know better than me. I know he has some written documents about Patrick. as for pictures I'm not sure but I will find out.

David.
Hi

No they were not brothers. Lawerence would of been a cousin of mine. His dad was Lawerence Kane and mother was Frances Cleary. They lived in Feltrim.

Funny, both are on my family tree but aren't related. Connected via a marriage via another cousin of mine. I've attached screenshots
Attachments
Screenshot_20231110_193501_Ancestry.jpg
Screenshot_20231110_193600_Ancestry.jpg