Group of youths - railway bridge

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
estuarine

Apologies for alarming anyone on New Year's Eve but there was a restive group of youths (15-17) on the railway bridge as I crossed it a little after 7.30pm. Some of them bore more than a passing resemblance to the people who've caused hassle along the railway line over the past couple of years, most recently in Malahide and Portmarnock on Hallowe'en night. About 8 of them just loitering on the bridge as if they were waiting for others. We have seen this pattern of behaviour before.

I have already reported this to the Gardaí. Can I urge anyone else who sees them and is concerned by their demeanour to do likewise? It is only by being observant and reporting suspicious behaviour that we will get a sufficient policing response and presence. Can I also ask that those of you with teenagers urge caution if they are going out tonight and try to establish if there has been online activity since we know that past events have been characterised by prearranged fights on social media. Regards to all and Happy New Year.
Macktheknife

Yesterday on the 3.40pm train from town, a group of around 15 very well dressed lads around 13/14 years old got on the train in Malahide. They kept asking if train stopped in Donabate & called someone to say they’d let them know when they arrived in Donabate. In Donabate they gathered at the station & seemed to meet up with older lad who told them all to get back in the train. They then pushed their way through people to go back. Could all have been very innocent but very unsettling particularly to some older people on the train.
estuarine

Bottom line, if it's suspicious report it. We all know the Gardaí have a heavy workload but the only way we can both get adequate policing and ultimately make the case for a Garda station out here is to pile on the pressure every time our community is confronted with anti-social behaviour. That and making public representatives aware also.

We have to give these kids a real sense that we're on to them and that if they are behaving suspiciously we will report that. As regards the gangs from Balbriggan, sadly we know that they have engaged in violent behaviour including possession of knives so nobody should directly confront them and above all the word needs to get out to young people in the area who have nothing to do with any of this that they also have to stay out of it and tell a responsible adult if they are threatened or if they become aware of something brewing. And bluntly, that comes down to responsible parenting and open discussion. Personally, I have reported these people's presence to the Gardaí several times over the past couple of years. If we all do that as a community and literally band together so as they can't move without the Gardaí knowing, they will move on. That's what we need to do.