New pedestrian entrance to Newbridge park

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
cbc

I see the new pedestrian entrance to Newbridge House is under way on Turvey Avenue. Will be curious to how safe it ends up being!!!
Quello Serio

I don't understand the 'safety' argument. I think nearer to the Beverton or Beresford estates would have been a more sensible location. Would facilitate more people, and would have reduced the distance children have to walk/cycle along the road.
Brickers

Good to see the development of the pedestrian entrance is moving ahead.
Where exactly will the entrance be? I am a future resident of Beresford and was led to believe the pedestrian entrance to Newbridge would be opposite Beresford/Beverton. Thanks.
Its EB

Its roughly here. I missed the unofficial entrance once they blocked it up.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4868693 ... 312!8i6656
TheBlowIn

The entrance was originally supposed to be outside Beresford (just on the corner near Waterlefe) , but I heard that this would require the road to be realigned, presumably to improve visibility.

The new location makes reasonable sense, traffic calming already in place so hopefully it'll be safe.
cbc

Yeah its a pity they didnt try and resolve the issues with the road and take some of the bends off it. But it will be good to get a proper entrance rather than hopping the wall which i'm gone too old for!!!
Tayto

Hi,

Yes, it's great to see this long overdue entrance into Newbridge House & Park. This and other local area improvements are outlined in the Donabate Local Area Plan 2016 - 2022. There are absolutely no reasons why these should not be addressed immediately for the safety of all. In section 8 of the Urban Design Objectives the following stood out to me with respect to this topic.

DLAP 2016 - 2022 URBAN DESIGN OBJECTIVES

OBJECTIVE 8.9
Ensure as far as feasible that all urban and rural areas are accessible to all, with provision of facilities for people with mobility impairment and/or disabilities based on the principles of Universal Design. Implement a street network with a high quality public realm and priority for the pedestrian/cyclist and the mobility impaired.
OBJECTIVE 8.10
Facilitate the provision of pedestrian crossings at appropriate locations within the LAP area and introduce tactile paving, ramps and kerb dishing at appropriate locations including pedestrian crossings, bus stops and rail platforms.
OBJECTIVE 8.15
Provide for high quality footpaths along Turvey Avenue to connect development at Turvey continuously to Donabate Village.

Tayto