Supervalu

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Sdan

Supervalu seems to have taken a few wrong turns in the last couple of months. This is a bit green ink but there is so much wrong now a list seems appropriate:

1. In my opinion it shows a low regard for customers to have trollies of goods and cardboard boxes blocking up the aisles while the store is open. There is no reason for doing this other than convenience for the store at the expense of the customer.

2. As above for workers remodelling the place.

3. Significant shelf space out of stock a lot of the time

4. Quite a bit of the higher end stock seems to have been dropped (eg. the decent balsamic, packs of ciabattas, fresh kalamata olives)

5. Those god-awful self-service checkouts and too few people on the regular tills.

Sorry about the rant but maybe if there is any agreement someone there might pay attention
Donabate Hatter

I think the self service tills are great!!
jayflame

I prefer the store as it is currently, open during the refurb, than closed as all the shop refurbs I have been involved with have been.
Be thankful it has remained open, albeit, not the way you like it.
Imagine if it was closed during the refurb?
Where would you shop?
The SV in Pavillions is not much better and is harder to get in and out of.

If your desired item is not there, ask for it.
Staff have been very obliging in the past when I request anything.

Haven't tried these tills, but other branches don't recognise carrier bags in the bagging area, when you put your own there!
RPB81

If or when the retail unit beside the Gallery goes ahead, they are in for a shock. A very poorly managed shop. Consistenly empty shelves so order management is poor. Poorly staffed (although not as much an issue with the self-checkouts).
Staff on the tills are doing best job they can.

I know a large amount of people drive to Aldi at Seatown instead of the "convenience" of SuperValu
Aster

Self checkouts mean fewer jobs and less hours for our neighbours and young people. SuperValu Donabate is one of, if not the hightest profit-making shops.in the country. Do they really need to cut their staff costs by 25%?
For what it's worth, I have no affiliation with SuperValu employees; I'm just someone who used to believe tha shopping local benefitted the community.
Derek

Aster wrote:Self checkouts mean fewer jobs and less hours for our neighbours and young people. SuperValu Donabate is one of, if not the hightest profit-making shops.in the country. Do they really need to cut their staff costs by 25%?
For what it's worth, I have no affiliation with SuperValu employees; I'm just someone who used to believe tha shopping local benefitted the community.
I believe in shopping local too, but a full weeks shop in that place is way more expensive than heading to any of the supermarkets in Swords. IMO their pricing structure is more akin to a convenience store, so I shop their only when necessary and not routinely.
Spider

One of the biggest problems I find with our local Supervalu is that, quite often, their tills do not register special offers. I've been caught out a few times and didn't realise until I checked my receipt at home. Often there will be a sticker on the shelf with one price and when you go to pay the price will be different. Sometimes because the information hasn't been fed into the till correctly and sometimes because the price advertised is not actually for the item on the shelf and has been placed in the wrong location. It's very annoying. I do most of my shopping elsewhere but do pick up a few bits and pieces there. The staff are always helpful and friendly but the shop itself is badly stocked and over priced.
Sleepy

My main gripe is the off-licence tbh. Awful selection of craft beers but just enough low cost offers to prevent a decent off-licence from operating out of one of the other retail units in the village.
daveyboy

I've only noticed a problem with the poorly stocked shelves recently. Staff are great, prices a rip off.
bear

Agree with a lot of the comments.It's the only Supermarket in the immediate area so they possibly don't care too much.Does
anybody know what happened to the Aldi that was to go in at the Gallery?.Some competition is needed but sadly if it happens it's a long way off.
RPB81

The stocking of the shop is very poor. When you get your book with vouchers/deductions and then head down to supervalu, I find that most of these products have been sold out and will not be restocked until AFTER the expiry of the vouchers. Really screwing your local customers and hence they flock elsewhere.
Real Rewards is not as beneficial as in the past certainly with electric ireland and as a result they have lost my business.
aoifey

never really had a problem with them before but lately every single time i go in, it seems that every isle is jammed up with a stock trolley making it hard not only to walk past but to get to the items on the shelf.

would be ok if it was once or twice, but every single time.

and yes i have mentioned it to them
jayflame

So yesterday I tried the self service tills and ended up spending twice the time.
Certainly an issue with "items in packing area".
I think the system struggles with weighted items from counters as staff intervention required on several items.

I'll stick to the managed tills now.

Meanwhile, I'll depend on my orienteering skills to navigate around the store.
Vlad the Impaler

Butchers counter closed and covered at 6pm this evening... but I guess i should have gone to the butcher across the way.

Oh, and no bananas for the kids lunch box tomorrow.
Donabate Hatter

Another store is desperately needed to provide some competition
Cathal

Sleepy wrote:My main gripe is the off-licence tbh. Awful selection of craft beers but just enough low cost offers to prevent a decent off-licence from operating out of one of the other retail units in the village.
Dreadful off license, whenever they get a decent beer in it sells out in a day and they don’t replace it, 90% of the craft beers they have been sat on the shelves over a year(that strawberry stuff for 1), I tweeted them and got a response looking for my number for some advice :), they never called though :(
The only reason another off license hasn’t popped up yet is due to the planning permission required for a license to sell beer/spirits and the costs involved.
Sleepy

Yeah, the off-licence really is disappointing, especially when you consider that Supervalu actually has a really good reputation for running good off-licences (the one in The Pavillions is quite good (although in a different league size wise), for a more comparable sized off-licence the one in Killester is excellent for it's size.
bevertonian

They have been ripping the locals off for years and by the looks of it aren't going to change - haven't shopped there in a long time as got sick of being overcharged - such as, not being charged the price displayed on shelf, or the item wasn't that specific one that was advertised as a special offer yet it was under special offer price tag, this had happened me far to regular for it to be an innocent mistake.....Also at the time Tesco used to give you the product free if you were overcharged, no such thing with SuperValu which tells it's own story....
and not to mention their fruit and veg which was rotten - they had no problem selling out of date produce...
Then of course waiting to get a supervisor to get your money back for overcharging......
Do my shopping in Swords now - Hopefully Aldi open up in near future.....
Macktheknife

Never shop in Supervalu unless it is a complete emergency. Never buy anything that is unwrapped as I don't trust their meat or deli counter (use the butcher in the centre - so much better). Prices are a rip-off and their fruit and veg are disgusting. Only positive comment is that most of the staff are pleasant although they are now trying to get rid of them by introducing the self service tills. They need some serious competition very soon...........