Developer land grab in Somerton

Scotty

Anyone else noticed the closure of the path leading to the community centre from Somerton? Been in touch with Adrian Henchy who informed me the builders are ignoring conditions on the planning application, they are also trying to take part of the green as their new development. Apart from Mr Henchy, FCC doesn't seem to give a damn about public greens or right of way, anyone now forced to walk kids to school via the main road should challenge these builders. They have no legal right to block the path or put fencing on the green and are chancers. If they realise they will be delayed by protests or delays, this will hurt them financially.
Jabba

This has also incurred the wrath of the Educate Together Primary School and I received the following e-mail from the school yesterday - Looks like cowboy developers and builders are back !!

Dear Parents/Guardians,
A barrier was erected today blocking our access to the field behind the school. We were not given any communication or prior warning that this was due to happen. The last communication I had regarding the development of the site behind the school was in November 2015! At that time I was informed by the planners that for the duration of the construction we would not have access but that a permanent pedestrian access would form part of the compliance for the new development.
This afternoon, after the access was blocked, I received two letters, the first letter informed me that access to the site was closed from 1pm today. The second letter was a solicitor’s letter warning that any unauthorized entry to the site would constitute a trespass. I have been in contact with local councilors, planners and the builders to complain about the lack of notice and to seek clarification on the situation. The actions of the builder today showed blatant disregard and disrespect for our school community. Changing the children’s route home from school without giving parents and children the opportunity to plan for this is extremely irresponsible and dangerous and I have registered my shock and concern for how this issue was handled by the developer.
It is essential that parents and children now work out alternative access routes to school if they have been using the back entrance to the school. As soon as I have any further information I will be in contact.
Many thanks,
Maeve
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Welcome back to Donabate to the Gallaghers, they certainly know how to keep residents happy!
holdmycalls

The Somerton "land grab" is actually at the request of Somerton residents who agreed to withdraw planning objections to the development if the site access went via the Portrane Road, thereby closing the pedestrian access to the DPCC and causing nearly every child in Donabate to now have to cross the entrance of a building site on their route to school for the entire build.

This was facilitated, at the expense of our childrens' safety, by our friendly local planner.
Donabate Hatter

Well I'm a Somerton resident and I certainly didn't get consulted on this!!!!!
pat mustard

me neither, any facts please?
holdmycalls

It's all public record online on the planning file.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

holdmycalls wrote:The Somerton "land grab" is actually at the request of Somerton residents who agreed to withdraw planning objections to the development if the site access went via the Portrane Road, thereby closing the pedestrian access...
I can't see how this contributed to closing the pedestrian access tbh. Regardless of where the site entrance was physically dropped, the access to the school was direct across the site. (Note I have 3 kids - one of which now has to go through Cois Ibhir instead of using that death trap of a path - so I'm as infuriated as the next person)
holdmycalls

No, we're speaking of the fixed path, the one to the community centre. There was no way to keep that open with access to the site coming from the Portrane Road. Apologies for not posting a link to the planning documents, the change in access deal is mentioned in various letters from residents, but doesn't seem to have ever been open to public comment outside of those few residents and the planner.
SB123

The Supporting Proper Development in Donabate group was clearly badly needed before now. Good to see that it has local support. Plenty of opportunity for objections to these plans at the end of 2015, and again into 2016. A handful of objections were submitted from the residents unlucky enough to share the boundary with this development, and to have been saddled with this developers previous 'quality' build. Disappointing that in response to a comment about a land grab, residents rather than a developer who is operating with blatant disregard to children's safety are the focus of comment. Donabate residents need to stay united and in support of the SPDD group.
SB123

The relevant planning reference - F15A/0456
holdmycalls

The developers aren't the only vested interest behaving badly in Donabate.
Donabate Hatter

I emailed one of the local Councillors about this and this was part of the reply I received:

'The developer Mr Greg Gallagher has engaged Shannon Valley Civils to do enabling works at The Paddocks, Portrane Rd, Donabate beside the main entrance to Somerton, Carrs Mill. These enabling works involves new road works, footpaths ,drainage, new services etc.

While the developer is carrying out these essential works, both from an insurance point of view and with regard to Health & Safety it is not possible for the public to walk through the lands while these enabling works are taking place. Both Fingal County Council and the developer fully appreciate the inconvenience that this has caused and by December 1st or before it is expected that the pathway between Portrane Rd. and the community centre will be open again to the public.

Given the inconvenience and fully understanding that the pathway across the entrance is very narrow and dangerous, following consultation with Fingal County Council , the developer has committed to widening the footpath along the main Portrane Road which will vastly improve safety for pedestrians until such time as the inner pathway is reopened to the Public'

DH
holdmycalls

This completely contradicts the statements made in F15A/0456 and F17A/0183 (where the planner insists there was never a right of way to the community centre in the first place). They're also clearly building an access road. Are we to believe the path is going to be under a bridge or something? I think this Councillor is having you on MH, or talking about a different piece of land.
Ken
Site Admin

It's possible the entrance via the path to the community centre is temporary for construction only and entry to the estate will be gained via Somerton. It's hard to tell from the plans.
Regards,

Ken.
coyote36

Donabate Hatter wrote:I emailed one of the local Councillors about this and this was part of the reply I received:

'The developer Mr Greg Gallagher has engaged Shannon Valley Civils to do enabling works at The Paddocks, Portrane Rd, Donabate beside the main entrance to Somerton, Carrs Mill. These enabling works involves new road works, footpaths ,drainage, new services etc.

While the developer is carrying out these essential works, both from an insurance point of view and with regard to Health & Safety it is not possible for the public to walk through the lands while these enabling works are taking place. Both Fingal County Council and the developer fully appreciate the inconvenience that this has caused and by December 1st or before it is expected that the pathway between Portrane Rd. and the community centre will be open again to the public.

Given the inconvenience and fully understanding that the pathway across the entrance is very narrow and dangerous, following consultation with Fingal County Council , the developer has committed to widening the footpath along the main Portrane Road which will vastly improve safety for pedestrians until such time as the inner pathway is reopened to the Public'

DH

I see that this hasn't happened by 1st December and showing no signs of it happening any time soon!
Donabate Hatter

Here's the reply I received as to why the path is still closed:

To ask the Chief Executive, for an update on the pedestrian walkway between Donabate Community Centre and Somerton/Carrs Mill that was closed temporarily and due to reopen on the 1st of December?”

Reply: The Developer has reported that an 8 inch gas main was discovered going through a critical part of the development site. The discovery of this gas pipe has resulted in ground works being completely stopped for almost six weeks. As a result of this stoppage the re-opening of the footpath will be delayed until approximately mid-February 2018.

The question is, how the f**** did these cowboys draw up a set of plans, get them past the council and start work without knowing that there was an eight inch gas pipe there and just how close were we to a major incident!!!!!!!!!!!
coyote36

I was say that reply is a lot of c**p. If there was so much concern about a gas main, it hasn’t stopped then from constructing an entrance road which takes them over the path. I very much doubt if we will ever see the path!