Muck on portane road

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Essexboy

Saturday morning rant....
It seems to have all gone quiet about a new road into the village, the new hospital had a big concrete pour 2 weeks ago that meant 50 lorries from 6.30am to 12pm into the village and out of the village... yet no one is saying a word???
Also what is the story with the muck on the road o/stir credit union??? Yet again nobody is complaining!!!!!
To me we seem to be a very easy going village with no garda station and no politicians.... oh and don’t get me started on anti social behaviour...
I moved here only 14 years ago, oh how it has changed!!!!!
diggerbarnes

Oh the irony
Pip

Someone complained about this a couple of weeks ago on Donabate Facebook. Then
amazingly the next day there was a sweeper truck, going from the site at Glasslinn to the village and back. This was short lived an only lasted a couple if days. Then we were back to the mucky road again. Increased traffic, traffic jams, children trying to get to and from school, slippery roads. What a mess !!! These builders really need to take responsibility. There should be site inspections that include the impact builders/Developers are making in the surrounding environment.
Ken
Site Admin

A sweeper truck can only do so much and dirty roads are just something we have to put up with. The developer behind Cois Inbhir is sweeping the road twice a day. While you couldn't call it dangerous, it's still not clean and our cars and shoes bear testimony.

I walked by the Community Centre a couple of weeks ago when people were complaining about the state of the road. It was very bad then and I would say that it was dangerous if any car (or truck) had to stop quickly. I walked by tonight and, while it's not clean, it's certainly a lot better than it was. A road sweeper won't work wonders and they can't follow every truck that leaves a site.
Regards,

Ken.
benson

I walked by here on Mon and the big trucks couldn't get by the road block without mounting the path, which is very narrow, I thought this was very dangerous. The footpath is now all cracked is this what we'll be left with when the builders are gone! I'm sure they won't be out fixing the mess they leave behind them outside their building site once they've made their millions.
Lavidolas

I report them to HSE and FCC with a photo of the reg of the truck - only way to get something done unless we blockade the peninsula in the morning! Living here 40 years and most politicians have left us down and not fulfilled promises. People action is all that works
Bawner

Was out early on Sat morning and saw several kilsaran trucks heading to/from Portrane. Leaving Donabate in car at 10am there was muck on road all the way out of Donabate, even past Maxol. I'll be letting the council know and urge others do the same. If someone skids off road or has an accudent because of this they can't then say they didn't know.

Even at 8am the road at credit union was filthy, even after all the rain on Fri night.
Jabba

There is a simple solution if they were prepared to spend a bit of extra money. I work across the road from a new Lidl supermarket that was built this year, the site during construction stage had a separate entrance and exit. Before trucks left the site to go back on the the public road they went over a washer type system that sprayed the underneath/side and tyres of the vehicles to remove all muck and debris from the vehicle. There was never any muck on the road. It was like a car wash you would see at a garage but inverted to wash the underneath of the vehicles. It was located at the exit so trucks couldn't avoid it and there was always someone on duty to operate this before opening the gate and directing the truck back onto to the public road.
Essexboy

I have reported all the goings on to Fingal CC yesterday, ie trucks mounting the pavement and the muck on the road throughout the village.
Derek

All I'll say is woe betide anyone waiting at a bus stop today in or around the village.
1stimer

Essexboy wrote:I have reported all the goings on to Fingal CC yesterday, ie trucks mounting the pavement and the muck on the road throughout the village.
can't seem to find the place to report to FCC Essexboy would you post the details here please?
Essexboy

Roads section, drainage. Fingal.
I don’t want to give the ladies name out, but very helpful and mail received today. Roads inspector is dealing and getting back to me.
pat mustard

Roadworks finished and they've left the road in sh1t. No steamroller when I went by , a couple of blokes levelling it out like a fekn meringue earlier.

Just gone back now and it's a disgrace.
Sunshine1

I drive up this road daily and the way its been left is absolutely disgraceful. It is not safe to drive on and looks so messy and shoddy. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be completed further??
blow-in

All,

I have noticed that the road seems very slippery the last week. I had an incident where I nearly slid into the back of someone, as I found it difficult to stop despite not going more than 20 - my tyres had no grip. I have new tyres, so that is not the issue. I also noticed it whilst driving my partner's car.
It seems the muck is being compacted and is preventing the asphalt grip.

I am going to send a mail to FCC for what it's worth - I don't expect too much, but maybe when I crash, I can request compensation from them!! :lol:

EDIT: And to add before some smart person does, it was not one of the very cold mornings, so ice was not the issue.
Derek

I crossed that road on foot and it was very slippery as all of the muck is now compacted. It's a big accident waiting to happen.
Essexboy

All I actually got no where with fingal after several mails.... if this was a DCC road I wouldn’t be writing on here!!!
Fingal had to send there own road sweeper out today around 1.30pm!!!
So the tax payer is paying for the builder to clean our road, makes sense that!!!!!
John Blowick

Don't know why you are surprised pal ..all local government is chokka with drones and time servers and no accountability anywhere .
Look at the balls up they made of the race out of Newbridge House !

Get on to your local councillors and tell them to get off their holes !
Sunflower

Had the same issue the other day blowin. It is an accident waiting to happen.
Have just written to Adrian Henchy to see if he can do anything.
Vlad the Impaler

Apparently the car wash at the garage is doing a roaring trade.
Ken
Site Admin

Beaverstown Road is as bad these days. They are cleaning the road, but it just appears to be moving the muck around rather than cleaning it.

It's not worth washing a car. It would be as bad again when you get it home.
Regards,

Ken.
jayflame

Westbound road through village was exceptionally muddy and slippery this morning.
The mud is getting caked onto the road surface.

Road Sweeper when through the village, but I guess the driver forgot to lower the brushes to scrub the road and not just hoover up the loose.

Would be so much easier if they just fitted wheel washes at the exits of construction sites.
Essexboy

Just to let you know I have been back into fingal cc regarding the temp reinstatement opp the credit union, the subcontractor will be reinstating the road on the 20t/02/18!!! Let’s wait and see!!!! Oh expect delays!!
jayflame

Essexboy wrote:Just to let you know I have been back into fingal cc regarding the temp reinstatement opp the credit union, the subcontractor will be reinstating the road on the 20t/02/18!!! Let’s wait and see!!!! Oh expect delays!!
So I was just cycling from Portrane and lost control of my bike at this point.
Nearly crashed, but managed to recover.
A lesser experienced rider might not be so lucky.
This section of road is unsafe for 2 wheeled vehicles and I will be reporting to relevant authorities.
Attachments
Showing width, depth and length of unsafe area. Right in a cyclists path
Showing width, depth and length of unsafe area. Right in a cyclists path
Looking back after stopping
Looking back after stopping
Matsugawa

There are many previous mentions of contacting relevant authorities (TDs, Councillors, FCC roads I assume) about the state of the Portrane road between the Community Centre and the Hand.

It's getting steadily worse as the surface deteriorates. Can anyone share the kinds of responses they've been getting? I'm going to contact various "relevant authorities" myself, but what responses have been given, and by who? A lot of mentions of road cleaning, but what about resurfacing?