Locking a bike at the train station

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Is it pretty safe to leave your bike at the Donabate train station? I haven't heard of any being stolen so I'm wondering if it's worth investing in an expensive lock and removing the quick release off the wheels if parking down there?
Ken
Site Admin

I haven't heard anything specific to Donabate, but I would say that you'd be best advised to secure the bike as best you can and not leave anything that's quick release unlocked. Taking off the front wheel and locking it to the back usually does the trick for quick release unless you have a lock long enough to go through both when still in situ.
Regards,

Ken.
Derek

A mate of mine had his bike nicked at the station last year. He came back for it one evening and found the bike gone and the remenants of the lock on the ground. If you've got a bike with quick release wheel's then chances are its a half decent one. If it were mine in that case, I wouldn't even consider bringing it near the station. If you want to cycle, pick up a cheap yoke and a decent lock. Job oxo ;)
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Thanks lads. I replaced the quick release bolts and bought a f*&k off lock :)
Missey

I am nearly sure that there is a bike shed on the inward platform (if you are coming from City) - ask the guy in the station. I remember seeing people leaving their bikes there a few years ago.
Mikekally

Hi all, just picking up on this thread - have there been any issues with bikes stolen from the station recently?

Will be moving to Donabate soon and plan on cycling up to the station to get train into town every day, but not sure how secure it would be.
Did the station ever get those bike lockers I think were mentioned a couple of years ago?
Its EB

They only have the U shaped racks at the moment in the shelter to lock bikes to.

I think there were some thefts of bikes a few months back as I remember Charlie Weston (Irish Independent) tweeting about his own bike being taken there but there are plenty of bikes there now everyday with the good weather so it might have been a one off.
Mikekally

Thanks for that, It's EB. Am waiting on an update from Irish Rail on if/when bike lockers are being installed as announced last year
amaze

My son's bike was stolen this afternoon/evening. It was locked to one of the bike racks at Donabate railway station. It surely is not the safest place there.
amaze

Just to make everyone aware: Locked bike was stolen today from the bike rack at Donabate train station. 2 days ago somebody had already tried to damage the lock with a brick.
Heisenberg

Any cctv footage? Maybe Irish rail have it monitoring the location.
Matsugawa

I've been parking my bike there for several years no issue. I had a (much worse) bike stolen about 7 years ago but the lock I had was a cable lock, so not a surprise. Lots of bikes down there have cable locks that are easily cut.

Get a good U lock and try to get as much of the back frame/wheel/post in the "U" when you lock it - thieves can still break them but they need to be able to get a small jack/angle grinder and it makes it too awkward for them if there are pedal cranks/spokes/rubber to work around.
jayflame

Matsugawa wrote:I've been parking my bike there for several years no issue. I had a (much worse) bike stolen about 7 years ago but the lock I had was a cable lock, so not a surprise. Lots of bikes down there have cable locks that are easily cut.

Get a good U lock and try to get as much of the back frame/wheel/post in the "U" when you lock it - thieves can still break them but they need to be able to get a small jack/angle grinder and it makes it too awkward for them if there are pedal cranks/spokes/rubber to work around.
in addition to this, where possible, remove the front wheel and lock it alongside the rear wheel and frame. It will be more of a deterrent as will take would be thieves longer to steal your bike.
If you don't have a quick release front wheel, invest in one.
Though it may take longer for you to put your bike back together, at least you will have more of a chance of it being there upon your return.
I have lost 6 bikes to theft over time, and have worked in bike shops so I know from experience.
The more you spend on a lock, the tougher it is to break.
And try not to leave items such as removable lights on it.

Other tips such as removing or covering brand names make it less easier for thieves to sell on.

Sometimes it helps to have more than one lock fitted.

Now we have post codes, it might be worth getting metal someone to stamp your house number and postcode to the frame for Garda to identify.
Also, take a picture and record the serial number of your bike.

And above all, get a static light for front and rear.
Do not rely on a having only a flashing LED. it is harder for other road users to judge distance with only a flashing LED light.
Be seen, be safe, live longer!