Up in smoke

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Spider

I have teenagers. They won't go through the village if these gangs are hanging around. I know this sort of thing has been going on since I was a teenager myself, which isn't yesterday, but that doesn't make it right or acceptable. They shouldn't be "giving lip", they should be taught how to behave respectfully towards everyone and that way their behaviour wouldn't escalate to anything worse. We have a lovely village but it only takes a few to make it unpleasant. I've been on the receiving end of their abuse occasionally and, as a woman on her own, its' quite intimidating. It doesn't just happen in the village either. We've had our house egged and our front door kicked several times. I don't know what the solution is really. A lot of parents don't seem to want to actually "parent" their children at all.
Derek

I've noticed that since the chemist went on fire that the Main Street seems to be very quiet and no groups hanging around. Coincidence or what...???
aoifey

Shippie wrote:
Defcom wrote:Jack are u living under a rock ?
Such a strange post.. Donabate is probably amoung the safest places in the western world..

I sometimes wonder what reality some people on here live in.. FYI a kid giving lip isnt antisocial behaviour
there are some people who don't like to hear about antisocial behaviour. Would prefer to sweep it under a rock, pretend it's not there or don't really care about it.

but there is an ASB problem in Donabate, like there is is many towns and villages across the country.
People giving out about the negativity on the whatsapp groups or Facebook pages. But these are vital tools to keep us informed about what exactly is going on. Would you rather not know about it?
People getting assaulted on the main street, women intimidated walking down the road or driving in their cars. Stones being thrown at cars and business premises being burnt to the ground. This stuff is happeneing and just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Talk to people with kids and teenagers. Parents of young kids/teenagers are afraid to allow them to walk to the shops for example. Some teenagers themselves are afriad to do so. I have spoken to people who have mentioned some names of people they believe are involved in this ASB. The same names have cropped up a few times. If people know names then surely the parents of these people must know. What are they doing about it?

My point is, we need to talk about what's going on, not sweep it under the carpet.
Mr. Stupid

People giving out about the negativity on the whatsapp groups or Facebook pages. But these are vital tools to keep us informed about what exactly is going on. Would you rather not know about it?
Sometimes, it makes more sense to talk to a teenager or directly to their parents. Set up a residents' committee, talk face to face. Work with other people including the Gardai. If someone had an issue with your kids would you prefer if they told you face to face or plastered it all over the web without hearing their side of the story?

Not saying social media doesn't have a place but it can slip towards Daily Mail very quickly.
Happy Feet

Had the Garda out to an incident with a few of the regulars (13-14 olds). The got names etc, They said they have tried the softly approach on the penninsula but after the pharmacy and halloween this is no longer the case, it is very important to log every incident no matter how small.
aoifey

Mr. Stupid wrote: Sometimes, it makes more sense to talk to a teenager or directly to their parents. Set up a residents' committee, talk face to face. Work with other people including the Gardai. If someone had an issue with your kids would you prefer if they told you face to face or plastered it all over the web without hearing their side of the story?

Not saying social media doesn't have a place but it can slip towards Daily Mail very quickly.
We have a residents committee. I believe we engage incredibly well with the young people in our estate, who I believe are wonderful young people. Of course I would want to be told face to face if someone had an issue with my kids. An issue arises though when the parent or parents are aware of what their child is up to but don't do a thing about it, or are scared of their child. Child then has no boundaries and is free to do what they want.

Talking about issues on Social Media is not the same. It's not plastering it all over the web as no one is specifically mentioned. It's just making people aware of what is going on. It's also not Daily Mail-esque either as these incidents are actually happening. A good idea to find out what's going on is to talk to some shop workers on the main street. Some interesting stories there.

As the above poster said, the Guards have been taking the softly softly approach but that clearly isn't working. How many years of softly softly do they need to try though?
Mr. Stupid

aoifey wrote:It's also not Daily Mail-esque either as these incidents are actually happening.
Daily Mail incidents happen as well; it's the slant they are given. Is it constructive? Is it always fair?
aoifey

Mr. Stupid wrote: Daily Mail incidents happen as well; it's the slant they are given. Is it constructive? Is it always fair?
In my opinion people have a right to know what's going on in the local area. If you have examples of Daily Mail style reporting on the issues in Donabate then please share. I'd be interested to see.

Not discussing the issues give a certain carte blanche to the people carrying them out. Making people aware what to look for for their own safety and that of their kids is a good thing.

There are so many posititive things going on in Donabate, and I believe they are discussed a lot. But of course when negative things happen people will always talk more about them. It's human nature. The old saying about telling 1 person about good customer service but telling 10 people about bad service rings true.
mirror

Where is this resident committee ?
1stimer

mirror wrote:Where is this resident committee ?
If I were to guess mirror I'd say it's an estate resident committee rather than a Donabate one. The Donabate resident committee seems to have vanished in the last few years.
maurizio

Hi,
something worrisome on WhatsApp earlier today - this was circulated from the Stamullen community alert system:

"Hi this is a report from the Stamullen Community Alert page after an incident involving teenagers from Balbriggan getting off the train in Gormanstown and beating up two teenagers so I'm not sure if You want to put it up on Donabates page to try and wake people up to what's going on around the place regards.

Hi, being based on the train station road in Gormanston we had an opportunity to speak to the Gardai about the incident outside our house yesterday afternoon, it's been treated as attempted murder as one of the two youths attacked is in hospital with a fractured skull and the other had a bleed on the brain but is ok, a shovel was used from a front garden on the road to beat these two lads over the head, they had been lured there by girls through social media. So be vigilant about who your teenagers are meeting! Gardai say all involved are from a 5 mile radius."

While I agree that spreading FUD isn't going to help, I think stuff like this (and all that's happened in Donabate lately) _is_ serious, and we've long crossed the fine line between anti-social and criminal behavior.
Essexboy

This has gone from a local business going on fire to now teenagers/anti social behaviour in stamulen!!!!
Like yes agree on the village has changed, but this thread has gone completely off the rails!!
LIKE WHAT DID WE DO BEFORE SOCIAL MEDIA!!!!
John Blowick

Essexboy wrote:This has gone from a local business going on fire to now teenagers/anti social behaviour in stamulen!!!!
Like yes agree on the village has changed, but this thread has gone completely off the rails!!
LIKE WHAT DID WE DO BEFORE SOCIAL MEDIA!!!!
Oh dear !

How has the thread "gone off the rails" ?

We have gone from hanging around Super valu to stone throwing to a mini riot to attempted murder in an adjacent village.
I was derided for predicting this escalation in previous posts ..the fact that it was Stamullen is incidental it could easily be Donabate.
No local business "went on fire" it was set on fire allegedly by local children at 12 midnight !
Also an attack with a shovel leaving two people seriously injured can hardly be passed off as "anti-social behaviour.?
You need to get real my friend and realise what is happening before it is really too late .....
Quello Serio

Can we at least all agree that the Daily Mail is s**t?
Mr. Stupid

I took this off on a tangent with the Daily Mail and given the sensitivities around the fire etc I apologise. Look I could give examples where I think it's Daily Mail - even the recent post about something that happened in Gormanstown. What's the point of that? To scare people? To make us stop using the train? To not let our kids use it? To remind us there are bad people there? To get angry? To vote to leave the EU? I don't know. Irish Rail employ security companies so surely it is a case of making sure they are properly used and working with Gardai to make sure that happens. I think it is better to go that route. Someone else could just as easily say, thanks for the info and not consider it Daily Mail. We'll agree to disagree.
Jabba

Credit to the Guards in relation to the incident in Gormanstown, they seem to be making good progress on that attack, but that apparently was caused by thugs from Balbriggan who seem to travel up and down the train line.We do have problems in our village and we should all work closely with the Guards and report everything to them (no matter how trivial) !
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/t ... 98071.html
bronorton

Mr. Stupid wrote:
Sometimes, it makes more sense to talk to a teenager or directly to their parents. Set up a residents' committee, talk face to face. Work with other people including the Gardai. If someone had an issue with your kids would you prefer if they told you face to face or plastered it all over the web without hearing their side of the story?

I doubt the first they are hearing about it is on social media
Defcom

To all the naysayers don't worry when the S**t hits the fan and trouble knocks on your doors well be here to support you. i cant understand why some people have no compassion ?
John Blowick

Defcom wrote:To all the naysayers don't worry when the S**t hits the fan and trouble knocks on your doors well be here to support you. i cant understand why some people have no compassion ?
And what point are you failing to make .....friendo ?
Defcom

i think it's obvious john
Vlad the Impaler

Yeah, it’s obvious, John. Like when Cantona said:

“When ze seagulls follow ze trailer, it’s because zey think sardines will be thrown into ze sea”.

Knew what he was on about straight away.
Defcom

Bingo even Vlad gets it
Derek

Trust me, this isn't meant to be off topic. It's illustrative of a community standing up to the thugs in their midst

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-ne ... t-12958624
Defcom

Great to see them stand up and start to take action
dearg11

As stated by the people of Tyrellstown in "Dublin Live"

Locals also said they were unhappy with Fingal County Council for housing a "disproportionate number" of anti-social elements in the one area.

This could be our peninsula in the very near future, far too many "iffy" developments going on , village gridlocked with traffic, developers latest stick to bate us will is " we'll hand over land for social housing if you don't get back in your box and be quiet little people",

This is all before the "real" developments begin , as what we're seeing at the moment is just a sideshow, I've said before and I'll say it again we've become the new sacrificial lamb for Fungal County Council , they've already destroyed Balbriggan, Dublin West and we're just another suburb on the periphery of the County, with lots of land that will solve all their housing headaches without affecting their real jewels.

And before some do-gooder comes on hear calling me alarmist, no I'm not just a concerned parent and realist,
Again I don't care what your personal politics are , whether you vote mainstream , looney left or alt-right, we all live here, it's time for our so-called representatives( not too many actually live here) to stop sending out soundbites of feigned concern, get a reality check and start doing the job they were elected for